PDA

View Full Version : Chemical yiest and sugar

fhydro
07-26-2005, 01:44 PM
does it make CO2, or must i use baker yiest?
Fhydro

sheist
07-26-2005, 03:31 PM
unsure.. no need to go that deep into science, IMO, unless its for another sciency part of an equation you havent told us about yet... use seltzer water.. carbonated water, basically.. when the fizz dies out, its jus water.. beautiful combination

Zandor
07-26-2005, 03:44 PM
You can make Co2 yourself several ways there are others here are a few.

Fermentation â?? The cheapest way (stinks to high hell)
1 cup sugar
1 pk brewers yeast
3 quarts of warm water (hot water will kill the yeast)
Mix all in a one gallon jug and you will make Co2

Baking Soda and Vinegar

Drip Vinegar (acetic acid) into a pan filled with baking soda

This works itâ??s just hard to regulate the levels at all.

fhydro
07-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Zandor, where i live i've got the choice between chimical yiest and baker yiest. I tried to make my own CO2 with chimical yiest and sugar and warm water, it makes bubbles, and smell a little yiest. My baker told me that it's impossible to make good bred with chimical yiest, it's just for quiches so i will try baker yiest. I just hope i did not give chimical shit gaz with the chimical yiest. That's all. What do you know about that? Thanks
Fhydro

sheist
07-26-2005, 10:07 PM
My baker told me that it's impossible to make good bred with chimical yiest, it's just for quiches so i will try baker yiest

.............................................ur tryin to bake bread?

Zandor
07-27-2005, 03:03 AM
Zandor, where i live i've got the choice between chimical yiest and baker yiest. I tried to make my own CO2 with chimical yiest and sugar and warm water, it makes bubbles, and smell a little yiest. My baker told me that it's impossible to make good bred with chimical yiest, it's just for quiches so i will try baker yiest. I just hope i did not give chimical shit gaz with the chimical yiest. That's all. What do you know about that? Thanks
Fhydro
No you did not hurt anything it just did not produce enough C0² to do the plant any good that's all. Look in the grocery store for fast acting bread machine yiest. I think the company is red dot or red star or something like that.

latewood
07-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Fermentation â?? The cheapest way (stinks to high hell)
1 cup sugar
1 pk brewers yeast
3 quarts of warm water (hot water will kill the yeast)
Mix all in a one gallon jug and you will make Co2

how to? just leave jug open on floor?
how long does a galloon last...approx?
...thanks latewood

harmonicminor
07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
heres a better way I used to make beer so I know a little about yeast.
take like about 2 to 4 lbs of corn sugar and mix into about a gallon of water and heat up on the stove for about 20 minutes. this process breaks the complex sugars down to a size that the yeast can eat all of it. then add to about 4 more gallons of cool water. after these mix you should have lukewarm water. too hot or too cold will kill the yeast when it is added. next add the yeast. next you need whats called an airlock. this will prevent oxidization from air getting in the mix. It is a top for the 5 or 10 gallon fermentation vessel with a rubber tube attatched and the other end of the tube goes into a pitcher of water. this method if done right will ferment for at least a week straight

harmonicminor
07-31-2005, 02:36 PM
oh yeah und use top fermenting ale yeast different yeasts act different. ale yeast works at room temp while lager yeast works at 35 degrees F and ferments on the bottom.