PDA

View Full Version : Steam Room Effect

sheist
07-24-2005, 08:35 PM
A while ago I made a post about using a bottle of water and a heating blanket to make humidity.. With this being said I came up with an idea.. JUST AN IDEA tho..

If I use enough bottles, and enough heat in a small area, the environment will become extremely moist. I figured this would be ideal for the roots. So I'm thinking: Isolate the roots in a "steam room" environment, where the air contains the water for the roots, perhaps ideal for hydrponic growth. The water WILL re-accumulate in liquid form, especially on solid areas (the roots are solid). The pressure will build up, and something HAS to leave. and what better concept for the water to be sent into the roots, to balance out the pressure in the room..

sheist
07-26-2005, 04:12 PM
...............anyone?

sheist
07-27-2005, 04:29 PM
..... :(

MeatRulz
07-27-2005, 05:37 PM
sounds like a good idea to me

PottyMcSmoke
07-27-2005, 09:07 PM
i think it might work, but you would have to use a really fine screen to keep the dirt from entering where the steam comes in from. The only problem i see with it is that the steam might not get really deep into the soil, so a low burry would be a good idea. maybe 2 or 3 inches of dirt. you might have to fertalize them different as well

OR Freebird
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Won't the temp of the steam boil your roots?

Potential for fungus -- but never tried it either

How you going to fert? Mist?

Joel
08-13-2005, 12:46 AM
I dont neccesarly agree, I think the steamroom idea would boil your roots if not controlled, so you would have to measure the ammount of steam you're putting in/out.

You also need to think about your ventalation system ( if you're using one of course ). It would suck the steam right out of the room making it useless. I think that your plants would start showing signs of overwatering due to the ammount of steam you put in there and your water ph level.

sheist
08-17-2005, 06:02 AM
the roots wont be boiled... because

1) the water isn't being boiled.. its just being heated to the point of evaporation..
just like when its humid outside... the rainwater that escaped into the dirt n ground, evaporates n humidifies the country lol.. applyin the same effect

i'm using a heating blanket, which ppl use to heat their beds in the winter, get warm n comfy, etc... which will cover the bottle, which will thus warm the bottle up until the water begins to evaporate.. and it will trace thru the tube into the grow environment..

this water will make no contact with the roots.. its not going to be real steam, just evaporating the water..

Joel
08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
That would then mean you would have to be watering your plants even more, if the steam evaporates from the ground, that means the water you feed your plants will evaporate too. I still do not think this is a good idea, but give it a try. Unless of course you have an actual steam room

MASTER BLASTER
03-29-2006, 05:33 AM
check out foggers

FERMENTATION
03-29-2006, 11:25 AM
From what I can gather, if the medium (humidified air in this case) is too warm then the roots stop absorbing nutrients. I don't remember where I heard this (I think it was in an aeroponic thread somewhere.) I also am not sure as to the "why" for this.

But hey, try it out with a clone and see if it works.