PDA

View Full Version : homemade humidity? ideas?

sheist
07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
what i want to do is make homemade humidity.. has anybody done that yet? anybody have ideas?

far as i kno, when it came to germination, paper towel saturated with water with the seed in it, held in a plastic container, in a warm place.. when i come back, the waters at the top of the container and it feels wet..

so my idea currently.. is a heating blanket... enveloping a waterbottle or two.. which have hoses or some tube leading into the growboxes, with a fan drawing it in... anyone like? dislike? found a flaw and want to blast me?

snow owl
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
I've found in most cases humidity isn't hard to come buy but when it is, a cheap humidifier will cost as much as a heat matt/blanket. Hydro stores a rip-offs, but what r-u-gunna-do. Not grow? I dont think so and neither do they.

sheist
07-18-2005, 07:26 PM
well i'm doing a stealth box along wit my pal Cam.. we can't afford to be caught.. I can't afford to be caught. so this is how came about the idea.. i already have a electric blanket.. i can set it up, set my water bottles up, and my humidity will come..

as a child i had a nosebleeding problem, usually due to dry air.. doctor told me to keep a pot of water in the room to balance out the moisture and my bleeding for the most part stopped.. thats what gave me the idea.. so if it can work with a pot, it can work with a bottle :)

i like the humidifier idea, but i want to make sure i can concentrate my money into the more important parts.. thus the homemade humidifier is born..

newgroweroldsmoker
07-18-2005, 10:53 PM
your doctor is right!
why spending any money on buying anything when you can use plastic buckets filled with water? get a few of them, 2 gallon ones.....normally you should leave the water still for a day, for the chlorine to evaporate plus the water is better to be of room temperature in order the roots not to be shocked if the water is cold....put a bucket full of water and a fan behind it....the water that evaporates will be blown into the grow space by the fan, plus you can use chlorine free water when you need to water your plants after a day or two or three etc....

NGOS:)

offtheradar
07-19-2005, 02:18 AM
I just bought an evaporative cooler. Here in arizona the humidity is about 10%. It is a portable evaporative cooler for $100, It not only puts humidity in the air, but it cools off my grow room just like an a/c unit. It's very cheap to run (about the same as a fan). The only thing is, It evaporates about 5 gallons of water a day into the air and it only holds 2 1/2 gallons in its resevoir. So I have to fill it up every morning and every night. Of course it's still $100, not as cheap as a bucket of water and a fan but it also conquers two tasks, humidity and cooling.

harmonicminor
07-19-2005, 05:55 PM
or you could just have sex 10 times a day in there :-)

snow owl
07-19-2005, 05:56 PM
I just bought an evaporative cooler.

Where? What are the dimensions?

anyhandle
07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I would avoid using any electric blankets, they are a fucking death trap waiting to happen if you have a lot of water around. im sure a few wet towels around the base of your pots might do it? But be careful with mold issues.