PDA

View Full Version : Legal to use breed names?

Kiluminati
07-14-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm planning on making an online text game around the breeding of cannabis.
I'm wondering if it's legal to use such names as Northern Light, White Widow, Skunk, etc.. or are these copyrighted by certain seed banks?
Also the site will contain a lot of information about the growth and consumption of cannabis, could I get in troubles for this or should I only let users in who specify that they're 18 years or older? Should I note this in the disclaimer?
The server the site will be hosted by is situated in Belgium where cannabis is an illegal substance.

Beeblebrox.420
07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Trademarks don't prevent one from using the names in writings, they protect the name from use by competitors or producers of similar products. If a name is trademarked, it is considered good practice to note such when you mention the name, but it is not a legal requirement. Look at all the novels which mention drinking Coke or smoking Marlboro cigarettes or whatever. As long as you are not trying to claim ownership of the name, you'll be fine.

snow owl
07-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Lets say it wasn't O.K. Do you really think a company who grows grass (an illegal act) is going to bring you into a court of law and say, "your honor, would you please protect our trademark of our illegally sold product."?

Kiluminati
07-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Hehe, okay thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure.

Beeblebrox.420
07-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Lets say it wasn't O.K. Do you really think a company who grows grass (an illegal act) is going to bring you into a court of law and say, "your honor, would you please protect our trademark of our illegally sold product."? Yes, because A) they would not necessarily need to reveal the precise nature of the product to defend their trademark - they can call it "hemp", and B) intellectual property laws are a separate issue from drug laws. Besides, seed sales are legal in many countries, so a seed supplier could easily defend his trademarked name without worrying about the legality of his product. Additionally, even in the US, there are medical-use growers who could also defend trademarks without much concern.

robert42
07-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Trademarks don't prevent one from using the names in writings, they protect the name from use by competitors or producers of similar products. If a name is trademarked, it is considered good practice to note such when you mention the name, but it is not a legal requirement. Look at all the novels which mention drinking Coke or smoking Marlboro cigarettes or whatever. As long as you are not trying to claim ownership of the name, you'll be fine.

thats pretty interestin didnt know that, beeble man your like a walking talkin book of knowledge how do u do it.

Beeblebrox.420
07-16-2005, 08:45 PM
I read anything I can get my hands on about anything that interests me. I may not be in school anymore, but I consider a day passed without learning something new as a day wasted. :)

nobiee420
07-17-2005, 06:05 PM
No doubt i have to say he blows my mind with some of the remarks he puts on these post wow you sure are a smart stoner beebz :) lol