PDA

View Full Version : Are energy saving lamps any good?

Ganjagirl
07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone,
I was told that energy saving lamps work just as well as fluorescent tubes but thought I should come and ask the experts before I set them all up. They say they are the equivalent of 150w, are warm white and produce 2700k. The length of the actual lamp part is 4 inches, I've bought 6 of them and am planning to put them in desk lamps in an indoor shelf setup. What do you guys think?

stickygreenlightsabr
07-07-2005, 08:26 AM
2700K is best for flowering, while 6500K is best for vegging. What is the size of your growing space? You will definitely need better/more lights, what is your budget?

newgroweroldsmoker
07-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi everyone,
I was told that energy saving lamps work just as well as fluorescent tubes but thought I should come and ask the experts before I set them all up. They say they are the equivalent of 150w, are warm white and produce 2700k. The length of the actual lamp part is 4 inches, I've bought 6 of them and am planning to put them in desk lamps in an indoor shelf setup. What do you guys think?

these lamps are great for lighting rooms and help you study, other than that i would not even think to grow using these lights.....well maybe i would use them during the first 10 days from germination.....then i would switch to my hps units for better results......you made a mistake buying these bulbs but you can still use them by replacing the normal incadescent bulbs (from the rooms in your house) with these that you bought....doing such will enable you to use a 400 watt hps with great results in growing cannabis and with your electricity bill staying more or less the same :)

there are 3 types of bulbs that you can successfully use for cannabis growing

a:floros, you need many many of them...discreet results in the end
b:metal halides (MH)....during vegetation only....great results
c:High Pressure Sodium .......1...grolux from start to finish great results
2...shp-ts....only for flowering, super results

i would need plenty of time to analyze the topic of lighting to you right now....all i can tell is that you can use the bulbs you bought for about 10-15 days from germination as the plants need a gentle light when they are still young.....

NGOS :)

Ganjagirl
07-08-2005, 10:41 AM
2700K is best for flowering, while 6500K is best for vegging. What is the size of your growing space? You will definitely need better/more lights, what is your budget?

My budget is about £30 ($65) so I'm looking to grow quite cheaply. Not really bothered about growing the best skunk... Just something vaguely nice to smoke as it is my first attempt! Ive got a shelving unit set up in about a 35 x 35 inch cupboard. I've bought some AK47 seeds so do you think I should get 6500k bulbs? and how much do they usually cost? Thanks for the advice

newgroweroldsmoker
07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
what is the max height in the cupboard? if it is up to 4 ft then get a 250 hps unit and that's all you'll be needing as fas as it concerns lighting......if the height is lower then you have no other alternative than the cfl (compact fluoros).....you will need 2-4 units in that case and the total cost should be more than the cost of the 250 watt hps unit......

NGOS :)

stickygreenlightsabr
07-08-2005, 08:35 PM
If it is 4 feet (including HPS which is already over $65, plant, pot) then you will not have enough space unless you vent that light and thus costing way too much for him. With $65 he's going to have to stick with CFL's. I suggest 55W(60W?) CFLs that cost around $30 each, one 6500K for veg and another 2700K for flower ( or check this out with the Saturn Bulb http://www.ezhydrokit.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_43&products_id=107 ...). Paint the inside white if you can't afford mylar.

mosaka
08-14-2005, 03:07 PM
If you are planning to use flourescents (which i am because of my small grow space and i cant afford to let out any more heat) use cool white flourescents for veg, and warm white combined with cool white (put lights as close as possible) for flowering and for clones.

I have herd that using cool white and warm white together from the start bring exellent results. try to use 1200 lumes per square foot. so per square foot have 1 cool white and 1 warm white....if you understand what i mean....? Dont use and aluminuim like reflectors, they bring out alot of heat. Use mylar. Or paper, photo paper which are resonbley cheap, shiny side out.

peace!