PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure and the green.

Twoshots
07-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Have high blood pressure and the Doc put me on Lisinopril which obviously brings it down.
Question is - Are there any dangers in having reduced pressure and then smoking the weed bong stylee and the impending lowering again of the blood pressure by the weed.I would imagine possible effects are Whiteys, feeling the heart pump harder and possible faintings.Any others?
Thx. Sorry about length of post.

Beeblebrox.420
07-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Weed increases your blood pressure, as well as your heart rate, especially imediately after the initial inhalation. While it's unlikely to lead to immediate, acute effects, there could be long-term culmulative injury that only your doctor can diagnose and treat. You really should ask your doctor this question, not a bunch of stoners on a message board.

Twoshots
07-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Thx for your reply.Was under the impression that Weed actually lowers BP hence the seemingly accelerated heart rate as it has to work harder.

Adrenaline Rush
07-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Weed increases your blood pressure, as well as your heart rate, especially imediately after the initial inhalation. While it's unlikely to lead to immediate, acute effects, there could be long-term culmulative injury that only your doctor can diagnose and treat. You really should ask your doctor this question, not a bunch of stoners on a message board.

My thoughts exactly, from what I understand, smoking anything is bad for High Blood Pressure. I have an uncle who has high blood pressure and smoked weed and he would have shortness of breath...

Listen to Beeblebrox, ask your doctor, be upfront with him, just let him know you smoke weed and what could happen. The thing is he's probably going to tell you to stop smoking period.

My guess would be that you may be overwieght. If you are, you may want to shed some wieght and try to control your blood pressure before smoking again.

Twoshots
07-04-2005, 09:42 PM
I dont have high BP anymore thanks to the continued use of the tablets (Hereditory condition) no more overweight than the next guy. Was looking to see basically if okay to continue blasting the bong. am a relative newbie and want it to continue.Mid 30s if that helps.

Beeblebrox.420
07-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Before the "weed is perfect and could never hurt you!!!!" crowd shows up, let me urge caution here. Ultimately, the decision to smoke or not rests with you and no one else. However, before you go listening to the first person who tells you it's fine and there's no danger, bear in mind that this person has neither the background nor the experience to give you qualified medical advice and does not have access to salient details of your medical history and even if they did, they are not physically present to examine you and make any sort of useful determination as to the safety of smoking weed. Only your physician can do that. I hate to be the wet blanket, but your health is nothing to fuck with.

Twoshots
07-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks mate.
Might give the old Drs a blast.Bound to give me a lecture as over here in England thats all they do, bitch and moan.
In the meantime....got a real good deal with a grower too.nasty stuff too one hit and its blast time.

Fengzi
07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
I had this conversation with my Doc just recently. Like you I'm in my mid 30's with high bp and am on Lisinopril. According to her there is some debate about just how harmful mj is to folks with hypertension. While there is an initial rise in bp after smoking it does tend to relax the user afterwards with a corresponding lowering of the bp. Not to dangerously low levels, though. She did give me the lecture about smoking anything and doing any drugs. Afterwards, however, she did add that,although she's concerned about me doing drugs, she'd be a lot more concerned about my blood pressure if I was drinking Starbucks every day or eating loads of salty stuff. Like Beeble says though- checking with your own doc is the safest bet.

Twoshots
07-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks Fengzi.
What is your Bp like at the moment if I may ask.
As I used to lift a lot of weights before I did my back in I am used to a short sharp rise in Bp and it is just for a while same with MJ I am guessing.
Going to Dr shortly keep ya posted.

Beeblebrox.420
07-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Good luck, man.

Twoshots
07-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Just got back from Dr`s and BP is all fine..
Suggested to him about using = Basically all he said was it can cause mental illness you know the usual dont use conversation.
He said he would and does use alcohol which is in my opinionis more dangerous.
So I am going to light me a bong now. :)
Only plan on having two maybe three a week anyhow.

Thx guys and hit it up..

oland
07-07-2005, 03:58 AM
good luck, im glad things have seemed to work out for you.