PDA

View Full Version : Are my lights good enough?

madfreek
04-09-2004, 02:29 PM
My plants are about 3 weeks old from breaking throught the soil but they are quite small and strected. I am using 2 two foot floros, one is extra warm white light only 13 watts and the other is a standard 18 watt. Will these lights be good enough or do i need more wattage?

Any help would be good

Cheers

cannabecea
04-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey

Ah the lights problems, alway a chalange but don't worry i have the answers. Change your tubes to "cool white" or "daylight" ones. The tubes that you are using makes your plant strech. Why? Because when you plant is on vegetative stage (when the plant makes is foliage and grows) it need more blue light from kelvin skale. So daylight and cool white fluos are ideal for vegetative stage. When you put the plant on flowering stage (when you want the plant to flower...simple) she needs more red light. So warm white and wide spectrum is used (wide spectrum is comonly found in aquariums). Then or the wattage: The more light the better. You have a total of about 31 watts.....witch is...well...bad... try to have at least a total of 40 watts. Don't use incadecent lights...its not made fo grwoing..and its not good (tryed it myself and its crap). I can sugest that you can use the "economic" lights, its like fluorecent tubes but smaller. I bought one a month ago and its abseloutly good im impressed by the results. It is made by sylviana and it produces 875 lumens, with is exellent for a lamp that size.

I hope this will help see ya ;)

madfreek
04-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Cheers for the reply,

I've got an energy saving light like the one in your pictures in another lamp that i am not using. It dosen't look very bright but would it be good to put that in the grow room with some more powerful, cool white floros?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

madfreek
04-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Here are some pictures of that energy efficient bulb i found. Would it do?

cannabecea
04-10-2004, 04:21 AM
Hey

I will ask you to take a picture of the lamp when "on" and put a white pice of paper beneth it. In that way i can figure out the spectrum of the light. How? well when you watch a light its..well....white (some times its redish of bluish) but by putting a white pice of paper beneath the lamp when it is on and you take a picture you can see the spectrum. Why? camera lences never lies!

Take the pictures of each individual lamps.

I hope that i canfigure out the spectrum, because i have never seen this kind of model

see ya ;)

P.S: i took a quick picture to show you: its a halogen light and as you can see the spectrum is red/yellow.

madfreek
04-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Here is a picture of the energy efficient light witht eh paper. hope it helps

Will put pictures of the other lights on with the papper

Cheers

cannabecea
04-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey

Well i can say that your lamp is good for flowering, you can see the orange/yellow/red colors. Yp im pretty shure now. If you can, buy a "daylight" compact fluo (im shure you will find it).

Well i have nothing more to tell you, just show me the next lamp :)

see ya

madfreek
04-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Here are some of the other lights i have. From far left: 18w floro, 13w warm white floro and far right a halagen. Are these any good.

Also i was told that UV black lights were good or is this not true?

Cheers again.

The Grim Reefer
04-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Black lights, as the name depicts, are no good for growing. Not one little tiny bit.
(put it in your smoke room! :D)

The Halogen puts off way too much heat for the light output.
<3