PDA

View Full Version : Religion isn't bullshit, everything is.

naturalmystic
04-22-2005, 08:51 PM
First off, I'm really interested to see wat the actual definition of "religion'' is. Cause if you think about it, every single thing you believe is a religion.

In my own words, i'de define religion as a way to explain something. Does anyone know what i'm trying to say?

Stedric
04-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Yes, but religion tends to follow stricter rules than spirituality.

Nullific
04-22-2005, 09:11 PM
A religion is a set of delusions and superstitions that come from refusing to take into account factual information.

Christianity has a built-in defense system: anything that questions a belief, no matter how logical the argument is, is the work of Satan by the very fact that it makes you question a belief. It's a very interesting defense mechanism and the only way to get by it -- and believe me, I was raised Southern Baptist -- is to take massive amounts of mushrooms, sit in a field, and just go, "Show me." -BILL HICKS

djaio
04-22-2005, 10:20 PM
i like that quote.

Stedric
04-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Bill Hicks was brilliant.

F L E S H
04-23-2005, 01:15 AM
Religion is not simply 'way to explain things'. It's much more than that. It's an organized set of beliefs with rules, regulations, privileges, rights designed to address the spiritual well-being of a person. Group identity is often formed around a common religion; often, it's the only difference between two otherwise identical groups (e.g. Ireland/Northern Ireland, or like Sunni/Shia muslims in the Middle East).

Religion is so much more than an explanation. It's intrinsically linked to identity, to who you are, and to which group you are 'allowed' to belong to.

djaio
04-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Religion is not simply 'way to explain things'. It's much more than that. It's an organized set of beliefs with rules, regulations, privileges, rights designed to address the spiritual well-being of a person. Group identity is often formed around a common religion; often, it's the only difference between two otherwise identical groups (e.g. Ireland/Northern Ireland, or like Sunni/Shia muslims in the Middle East).

Religion is so much more than an explanation. It's intrinsically linked to identity, to who you are, and to which group you are 'allowed' to belong to.

ideally, this is what religions are. in reality they too often turn into something else. too many religions have had some form of corruption or clouded judgement from humans, and become not a system with "rights designed to address the spiritual well-being of a person" that can unify people, but a governmental function designed solely to keep the masses in line. obviously, i'm talking about modern-day christianity. being a good christian isn't even about love, forgiveness and tolerance anymore. being a good christian is about hating gays, making irrational judgements of drugs and sex, and trying to push your ideals onto other people.

i obviously can't say from experience, but i'd guess that things are at a worse condition than they were 2000 years ago before jesus arrived.

maybe we're in for another christ. i hope so.

Nullific
04-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Ohh I hope I get to nail this one!

F L E S H
04-23-2005, 02:15 PM
i obviously can't say from experience, but i'd guess that things are at a worse condition than they were 2000 years ago before jesus arrived.

How can you possibly know that? Were you there? Except for ancient Egypt, and maybe Mesopotamia, we have almost no records at all from that time period. I'm sure they had their share of problems.

I think that's the problems with humans, we always think what's happening in the present is either the worst it's ever been or the best. Well, since the time the very first city was built, we've had our problems, be they religious, governmental, military, oir anything else. We always have problems somewhere, but I think ultimately we always manage to find a solution.

As for the rest of what you wrote, I think you're right. That's what I meant by group identity, or definition. You have to follow whatever the heads of the religion say, and you're a member. 99% of the time, religion isn't about spirituality at all, it's about US vs THEM.

Trychs
04-23-2005, 03:50 PM
ideally, this is what religions are. in reality they too often turn into something else. too many religions have had some form of corruption or clouded judgement from humans, and become not a system with "rights designed to address the spiritual well-being of a person" that can unify people, but a governmental function designed solely to keep the masses in line. obviously, i'm talking about modern-day christianity. being a good christian isn't even about love, forgiveness and tolerance anymore. being a good christian is about hating gays, making irrational judgements of drugs and sex, and trying to push your ideals onto other people.

maybe we're in for another christ. i hope so.

You're forgetting your parables... When they kill the son the father come to stuff them. :cool: If anyone needs to stuff the human race that is, them sealevels arising. :D

major crisis
04-24-2005, 05:43 PM
First off, I'm really interested to see wat the actual definition of "religion'' is. Cause if you think about it, every single thing you believe is a religion.

In my own words, i'de define religion as a way to explain something. Does anyone know what i'm trying to say?

Hello :) I'm also interested in the definition of Religion, basically because I believe Religion's concept has been perverted. Religion is a part of Human Acquisition of Language and our own Cognition.
I already shown this before I think, in another topic, but nobody paid attention. maybe you'd like to read

http://missmajorcrisis.proboards30.com/index.cgi?board=messiah&action=display&num=1107301028

peace bud :cool:

phillieblunt420
05-07-2005, 08:04 PM
my personal belief is that religion is a mental disorder...its there to explain the unexplained and fill that space in ur mind which wonders about death,life and so on....and for all the catholics out there(myself being one also) wat happened to all the people b4 jesus...i mean jesus opened the gates to heaven right?so wat happened to all that dies b4 him?