PDA

View Full Version : Botanists or Horticulturalists?

budlover13
09-22-2010, 07:11 AM
I was just curious as to whether there are any Botanists or Horticulturalists on the forum? I'm a Land Surveyor by trade myself, but I'm a decent gardener. By NO means an expert. The forum is awesome for sharing ideas, info, and experiments, but it would be AWESOME if there were someone on the forum that has a formal education in the field. If anyone on the forum matches this description, PLEASE, make yourself known and I guarantee you will become a VERY popular member.:D:smokin:

oldmac
09-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi budlover13,

I have not been around much this year, but there was a young member by the nick of SauceeMcGee who was working towards his degree in botany, who loved all kinds of plants and was very knowledgable. Not sure how active he is now around here. Also I very much miss Crabbyback who had been a long time avid gardener of flowers and ornamentals, who gave excellent advice, not sure she had formal learning.

As I have been catchiing up on my reading here, it has been great to see RustyTrichome still trying to help people with plant problems. While we have had some heated discussions (not everybody agrees on everything) he is one of the best, experienced growers here at least trying to help others. I've learned a few things from him and his answers to others.

I have suggested a few times that people should read a book about plant botany or horticulture and learn about plants in general and how they work. The more you know about plants, the better you can manipulate and exploit them for your benefit. :thumbsup:

headshake
09-22-2010, 04:37 PM
a great book i read is called "botany for gardeners, revised edition" by brian capon. it is inexpensive, only about 225 pages long and is wonderul and full of general plant information. it breaks terms down into origin, covers down to the cellular level (although just briefly). it's a great place to start and decide if you want to proceed further into plants inter-workings.

check it out here (http://www.amazon.com/Botany-Gardeners-BOTANY-GARDENERS-REV/dp/B001TBNN4O/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285173319&sr=8-5).

glad to see you around old mac! i hope all is well with you and that you'll be visiting more frequently!

-shake

budlover13
09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
a great book i read is called "botany for gardeners, revised edition" by brian capon. it is inexpensive, only about 225 pages long and is wonderul and full of general plant information. it breaks terms down into origin, covers down to the cellular level (although just briefly). it's a great place to start and decide if you want to proceed further into plants inter-workings.

check it out here (http://www.amazon.com/Botany-Gardeners-BOTANY-GARDENERS-REV/dp/B001TBNN4O/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285173319&sr=8-5).

glad to see you around old mac! i hope all is well with you and that you'll be visiting more frequently!

-shake

Awesome! Thank you for the link! I just figure that like in anything else, if you want to be successful, you have to have knowledge. I would even venture to say that there is a strong correlation between success rate and amout of time spent studying.

oldmac
09-23-2010, 02:39 AM
Hey 'shake, good to see you too! :)
I should have mentioned you also, for all the great answers you give to plant questions and such.....like that just now. Great book suggestion, "botany for gardeners, revised edition" not too deep and cheap enough to buy. The book I usually recommend is a text book (I needed to buy for a college course a few years back) and costs abt $80. That puts people off.

And budlover13,
That leads into another great way to learn about plants. A few years ago I took a course at a local community college, "Introduction to Horticulture", and it was taught by a professor from Rutgers University. Great stuff and even tho at that time I had been growing MJ for abt 65 years, I learned a great deal, especially about various wavelenghts of light and it's effect on plants.

headshake
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Great book suggestion, "botany for gardeners, revised edition" not too deep and cheap enough to buy. The book I usually recommend is a text book (I needed to buy for a college course a few years back) and costs abt $80. That puts people off.

what book is that old mac? i know you've mentioned it before, but i can't remember. lol.....damn meds.

-shake

oldmac
09-23-2010, 06:56 PM
what book is that old mac? i know you've mentioned it before, but i can't remember. lol.....damn meds.

Sure, blame it on the meds. LOL You have the same rule as me; anything worth doing is worth over doing! ;)

The textbook is "Horticulture, principles and practices" by George Acquaah (4th edition).

budlover13
09-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Sure, blame it on the meds. LOL You have the same rule as me; anything worth doing is worth over doing! ;)

The textbook is "Horticulture, principles and practices" by George Acquaah (4th edition).

I LOVE IT!!! Anything worth doing is worth over-doing! I definitely live by the same philosophy!:) I had never really considered an actual Botany class, just the self teaching that comes with reading. I just figured that if there were any botanists/horticulturalists out there, I might be able to friend them or at least follow their posts. I will check and see if I can find that textbook at my local JC, hopefully they have it used!;)

You would not BELIEVE the argument that is going on in another forum right now because the OP asked "What Drives Bud Growth". Well, obviously since he asked it on a public forum, he got varying answers including one that suggested a certain textbook. HE WENT OFF! I didn't see the harm in the suggestion, but I guess he did. I think he needs to take a LITTLE more medicine!:D:stoned:

PurpleRoot
09-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Just picked up a couple of the suggested readings from amazon, looking forward to reading them!