PDA

View Full Version : noob grower, first system

arthurjob
04-17-2005, 10:30 AM
hi, ive just got the idea of growing some cannabis seeds so ive ordered a basic hydro setup. this is it: http://www.basementlighting.com/Merchant2/4.13/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HS1&Category_Code=

is this anygd, will it do the job i want it 2 do? ive also ordered a 4inch extractor fan, some snow white and ingemars punch seeds, some rockwool and extra nutrients. i shud recieve it all tomoro. will the nutrients which come with that be gd enuff for the plants?. any help wud be realy appreciated. btw, ive just put 1 ingemar punch seed in some damp paper towel and sealed it in a bag, is this the right thing to do? when i recieve the set up, do you germanate the seeds with that or do u add them to the system once theve rooted. sorry for all the questions its just ive never grown a plant before so will need all the help i can get. thanks

Zandor
04-17-2005, 07:44 PM
If you can upgrade the hood to an air cooled one. It will save you lots of trouble in the long run and pay for it's self with your first grow.

arthurjob
04-17-2005, 07:55 PM
as im totaly new to this im not entirely sure wat part youre taking about, do you have any ideas on what i shud upgrade to?

Zandor
04-18-2005, 03:46 AM
An air-cooled hood has one 4" or 6" air duct input and one for the output. You install an inline fan to bring air in from outside the grow area through the light and then back out the room taking the heat with it. This way you can get the light closer without burning your plants or getting the temperature too hot and causing them to hermie.

A Cool Tube is the same principle but has a round glass tube that you attach the ducting to and can get much closer.

arthurjob
04-18-2005, 01:53 PM
ok, ive looked online and cud find only 1 priced at £180. i think ill invest in 1 in a couple of weeks. am i doing the right thing i putting the seed in a bag and sealing it?. thanks for your help so far zandor :)

arthurjob
04-18-2005, 11:24 PM
wow thanks quebud, ive read up on that way of germinating before but was lazy at the time and thought id try the paper way. now with your advice ill definately do it that way. i have the bible coming and a dvd also, and once the system gets here i can have a good look at the parts and see if i find it do-able. ill grab some normal soil while at work tomoro and wack it in the microwave for 2 mins? as that post says, add a bit of sand (before the microwave?) and plant the seedling. :) my ol man has planted other things before, so mayb he cud give us a hand. can i just buy a vented hood for the light i already have or is it a all in 1 type thing? do you know any good models? ive ordered a 4inch fan with carbon filter and ducting. im planning on setting up in my wardrobe so its gunna be pretty inclosed in there. ive been told the set up will b here wednesday early afternoon. btw, have u heard of ingamars punch (spelling mayb off) . there the seeds im trying to germinate, are they easy to grow? thanks for the lenghty reply and some great pointers que, hopefully youll stick around and help me out now and again if you have time. it doesnt matter to me if i lose these seeds as they were only £15, when my snow white fem seeds arrive i wont be throwing them around quite yet, 70euros. your grow looks ace, if i cud get 1 plant to look that good id be chuffed. im gonna try for 2 plants :). is that your 1st grow, i think it is rite? hope i turn out that damn good first off.not likely tho :( heh

arthurjob
04-18-2005, 11:32 PM
ive just run of to place my seed into a cup of water but after removing it from the airing cupboard, i noticed the seed has cracked and theres the slightest white part showing thru, do i plant now or wait till i get back from work tomoro?. once i have the soil and sand sterilized, what shud i put it into to plant the seedling? a polysterene cup? thanks again

Zandor
04-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Bake-a-rounds will not hold a 400w or larger Mh bulb. FYI