PDA

View Full Version : Theory on Trichrome Production

Sativus
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Theory on Trichrome Developement

Increased trichrome developement can be achieved by intense manipulation of photoperiod anomolies. This procedure is theoretical and can be analyzed using a control subject and a test subject on a blind basis. Take 2 cuttings from an established mother, strain independant and non-auto flowering. Since existing trichromes will be a matter of one cell in thickness at this point in time, magnification is nessesary up to 100 times X.

Using the same conditions on both subjects, make note of the capitulate density on givin control points on both the plants without removing any foliage. Mature the cuttings to the desired age and place in 12/12 cycles in separate rooms with the same intensity of lighting.

Next, introduce males in stasis to prevent hermaphrodites, paticulary with the test cutting. The female will sense the male and react accordingly. After the cuttings are out of pre-flowering and have well defined calyxes, place the test cutting on 24 hours of darkness.

Next, commence with a strobe light on the test plant and leave the other plant on a regular light cycle. Set the strobe on a low setting so that the plant gets equal periods of light and dark, ie; 1 sec light, 1 sec dark, for 4 hours. Use a timer for consistency.

After 4 hours of strobe effect, give straight light for 4 hours. Next, strobe the plant again using the same intensity for 4 hours, then complete darkness for 12 hours. Repeat this for 7 days. The idea is to throw the subject into a state of inconsistancy with the photoreceptors and create havoc on the photosynthesys process's. The test plant will react by trying to store energy and create emergency energy reserves using all possible resources, hence, the radical development of trichrome structures and the chemical production of thc for protection and survival. Thus, more potent weed.

After one week, if done correctly, compare the control points for density and see for yourself the effects this had. Then flower normaly and enjoy your superior weed.

Sensi Super Skunk
04-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Nice. But I am thinking that the plant will try and reserve only essential resources for example: N-P-K. So, you are saying that that the presence of the male will cause the female to reserve the neccessary nutrients for the production of THC? But, my theory, instead of producing more potent THC, the plant may become hermaphrodic, in order to continue it's species. But, if your theory is correct about the presence of the males keeping the females fully female, then...I rest my case. But plants in general need a good photoperiod in order to grow healthy. I think that the procedure of your theory may produce weak, unhealthy plants. Yet, producing a low quantity and/or quality amount of THC. Did you try this theory yet?

hubblebubble
04-19-2005, 08:43 AM
i would like some proof or evidence that this works thanks

phillykid420
04-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Have you tried this yet or is it an idea floating in your head for now?

Here are some things to take into consideration:
sample size, a sample size of 2 isn't enough to draw any conclusion. You should also test sativas, indicas and hybrids just to see if the effect is strain dependent or not.
I don't even think you can use a p value and the normal distribution curve with sample sizes less than 10.

Also if you cut the light to give the plants the strobe effect you're giving it less lumens of light. You're gonna be giving one plant 12 hours of HID light, the other plant is receiving only 4 hours, the other 8 hours it will be given the strobe light, which most likely doesn't have the right lumens, nor intensity that the other plant will be receiving.

If you don't cut the lights for the strobe light, you won't get a strobe effect. You could get a bulb similar in spect and intensity to the strobe light and use that for the control plant. You'd use that bulb alone for the same period that you're using the strobe light in the other room. But you'd probably want to have another room with another control plant in regular 12/12 HID to rule out the different bulbs having an effect on the outcome of the experiment.

Also I don't know how much effect a strobing effect will have on a plant. There's a lack of reasearch on the hormonal and physiological changes that occur when photoreceptive plants are put in the right environment.

Cannabis is a short day plant, but it'd probably make more sense to call it a long night plant. The plant produces a hormone that is rapidly degraded in the prescence of light. When it is dark for a long enough period of time, this florigen reaches a high enough level to trigger flowering in short day plants.

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/e30/30c.htm

here's another link
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/P/Photoperiodism.html#mechanism
but I dunno about the circadian rhythm part. It doesn't seem to really matter if you do 12 hours light from 5am to 5pm, or 12 hours light from 5pm to 5am but if what they suggest is true, then this would matter cause it would change the amount of CONSTANS protein. Perhaps an idea for another study, actually it'd probably be easier to study this than what you propose.

peace