PDA

View Full Version : Should we isomerize?

Graywolf
03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi ya??ll!

I have been wanting to isomerize some cannabis oil for a long time and some of our play group finally got around to doing it at one of our shindigs, just for shits and giggles, and of course intellectual curiosity.

Don??t try this at home kids! Alas, I won??t bore you with the story and Joe??s wife still lets him come out and play with us, just not at their house anymore.

The process did work out however and so far four of us have tried out the product, but it has not yet gone out for volunteer panel testing, so take this with a grain of salt.

All of us are unfortunately high tolerance patients who no longer experience euphoric highs and vaporizing it, none of us experienced a high, but three out of four of us noted increased mental effect above our already medicated baseline, while the single dissenter reported only a mild headache.

Interestingly the 6??7? 250 pound dissenter is possibly the lowest tolerance member of the group, but all of us require approximately 3X the dose for the average standard tolerance person.

We used a mix of Shiskaberry and Blackberry trim, so the available CBD content was not high to start with, and the nature of my own body??s reaction suggests that the isomerization process also increased the CBN levels.

CBNs sedative effects were suggested by my sense of calmness and lack of bruxing and speediness, which I usually experience with increased THC, despite the increased mental effect.

Now that we have the equipment assembled, we will try the high CBD medical strain that we are currently nurturing from a donated clone, when it is available.

Process:

To isomerizes the cannabinoids, we reflux boiled the BHO in an ethanol tincture with sulfuric acid and neutralized with ammonia.

We used a boiling flask and an Alhin condenser for the reflux, and kept the condenser flooded using ice water from an ice chest and a small aquarium pump. Heat was from an electric heating mantle.

After four or five distilled water washes to purge the ammonia, we added polar hexane to steal the cannabinoids away from the non-polar alcohol, separated them using a separatory funnel, and flashed off the hexane in a beaker, using a hot pad.

The end product was a thick viscous dark amber waxy resin.

My own impression at this point is that the process works exactly as represented, but the effect was not earthshaking on the strains that we tried. More after additional experiments and a wider range of testing.

GW