PDA

View Full Version : airstones vs airstones

slipped
02-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Should I use the 99 cent air stones that come in the 3 pack the ones round like a ball. They look like there doing as good as the walmart airstones the middle sized ones. Which 1 of these should i use? Ive bought both.

LOC NAR on probation
02-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Some put out very small bubbles and some large bubbles. The fact is any bubbles will do. Most of the small ones I have seen make large bubbles good for splashing in cloners or getting clones started in a system. If it's just for the rez use whatever you got.

slipped
02-13-2010, 11:09 PM
well i dont have a rez when i say rez i mean the water my plants are in..

LOC NAR on probation
02-14-2010, 03:32 AM
If your roots are hanging down in water that is a rez. Use any stone you got their all good.

slipped
02-14-2010, 07:14 AM
well i got the longer bars and the ones shaped like a ball and i gotta figure out which ones i should use

AquaponicHerb
02-14-2010, 10:59 AM
you shouldnt use airstones man. my research says they are obsolete switch to a venturi or a powerhead. more oxygen, better delivery, smaller bubbles that dont rise to surface, no clogs or cleaning, and water can retain and accumulate oxygen unlike airstones that just create a flatline level

slipped
02-14-2010, 11:29 AM
2 1300GPH CORAL AQUARIUM FISH PUMP WAVE MAKER POWERHEAD - eBay (item 260553131610 end time Feb-16-10 20:08:44 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1300GPH-CORAL-AQUARIUM-FISH-PUMP-WAVE-MAKER-POWERHEAD_W0QQitemZ260553131610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3caa2d465a)
something like this is there a cheaper way to go and can i get them at a retail store?? and still..im confused because people say small bubbles and the bars put off smaller bubbles but the stones move the water more and people say the water movement so im really confused

LOC NAR on probation
02-14-2010, 02:02 PM
you shouldnt use airstones man. my research says they are obsolete switch to a venturi or a powerhead. more oxygen, better delivery, smaller bubbles that dont rise to surface, no clogs or cleaning, and water can retain and accumulate oxygen unlike airstones that just create a flatline level

Ok I have been holding off on this topic.

As I learned and researched with a few good friends here. This is what we found out.

The O2 in H2O is put there by the action of the buble bursting at the top of the water. Then and only then do the two combine to make oxygenated water. so small bubbles floating in your rez mean nothing. Too samll a bubble and hardly any pop. Too big a bubble and again not much action either. It's the medium bubble that breaks the surface tension just right and combimes atoms.

Herb your ventura system adds the oxy when it smashes bubbles in the chamber and I would think it takes it to the limit. But the small micro bubbles do really nothing.

I have been reading all you stuff Herb and it is some very good reading. Lots of good info.

Slipped just put the airstones you have in there. All that matters is you have them. You can always work toward something new and bigger or find what you have works very well.

AquaponicHerb
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM
loc nar is right. I've done more research, and also this venturi concept is so sophisticated already not to mention me trying to adapt it to make less noise and maximize the oxygen delivery.

I rushed to judgement when I used the word obsolete or even criticized airstones. Airstones are very effective and sometimes I get ahead of myself with all my freaking research. I like the concept of the venturi, but I dont have enough experience yet.

good luck

LOC NAR on probation
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Don't get your self down. It is easier to try than prove it can't be done.

Your ventura takes oxy saturation to the limit and without pumps or stones.
If this were put in with my drip system I could elemnate the pumps all toghether because we run them 24/7.

Might make thing much easier.

AquaponicHerb
02-23-2010, 07:20 AM
By the way I did some research on bubbles, and I saw different theories on how they work with relation to gas-fluid transfer.

It appears to me the overwhelming evidence suggests smaller bubbles equal more surface area, and they stay in water for longer, and have larger compression.

I can provide a few links, as this is a dynamic subject...