PDA

View Full Version : Our pet goose died laying an egg, what happened?

Cocobud
01-04-2010, 01:04 PM
New Years Day our beloved Mama Goose was finally laying her eggs. The first one came out fine, but after lunch when we came out, 2 malformed eggs still in the sack and the rest of her reproductive organs had pushed out her backside and were dragging in the dirt behind her.
Needless to say, she died later that night, nothing we could do.
But I'd never heard of this happening before, and I wanted to know if any members had heard of this happening to poultry birds.
What is it called and what caused it?

CCB

ForgetClassC
01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Hadn't heard it with a goose, but a rabbit of mine did the same, I think it might have been too old or something, the rabbit was at least, maybe that was the gooses problem. I know some animals aren't supposed to naturally give birth after a few years, its just unhealthy for them, but seeing as geese lay eggs, I don't see what the problem would be, seeing as it has prolly done it it's whole life.

-C

sarah louise
01-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Sorry to hear you lost your goose.

What your saying sounds like egg binding, never seen it result in a full on prolapse in a goose though, it's more common in chickens bred for high egg production. Causes include genetics, old age, poor diet, heavy worm infestation, and rough manual handling.

Cocobud
01-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Thank guys, thats exactly what it is, a "prolapsed vent"...

And I think sarah louise nailed it with the cause being rough handling, I think the Papa goose might of forcefully mated with her during her laying cycle.

Geese are fine animals.

sarah louise
01-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Were any of the eggs broken? If so, rough handling will be the culprit.

And yes, geese are fine critters. They are one of my favorite dinosaurs and great for keeping watch, no one gets to sneak up on you if you have geese.

Cocobud
01-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Yea, geese are great critters!

smileyface
01-13-2010, 05:48 AM
OMG, that is so sad, I'm really sorry! I have avian pets as well. It does sound like she was egg bound, commonly caused by insufficient calcium. Also, if they lay too many eggs within a certain period of time it will cause a calcium deficiency. Again, I'm sorry for your loss