PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping Regulations coming to MMJ in Colorado?

Dietblonde
11-16-2009, 03:00 AM
There is a rough draft of a bill by Sen Romer floating around that is intended to rehaul Amendment 20.

Here's the rundown (taken from this article: Romer's medical marijuana bill would target dispensaries, younger patients - Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_13790163):)

The bill would require medical cannabis caregivers to:
- Obtain a license from the state if they have two or more patients
- Develop health care plans for their patients
- Offer more services than selling marijuana to patients
- Pass criminal background checks

The bill would also:
- Require an additional medical review board to look at all applicants from patients who are under 25 years old.
- Create a licensing system for large-scale medical cannabis production

"I fully expect well over 50 percent of the dispensaries will go out of business," he said.

Your thoughts?

senorx12562
11-16-2009, 03:31 AM
There is a rough draft of a bill by Sen Romer floating around that is intended to rehaul Amendment 20.

Here's the rundown (taken from this article: Romer's medical marijuana bill would target dispensaries, younger patients - Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_13790163):)

The bill would also:
- Require an additional medical review board to look at all applicants from patients who are under 25 years old.

"I fully expect well over 50 percent of the dispensaries will go out of business," he said.

Your thoughts?
Hasn't even happened yet, and I already miss the "good old days" when my relationship with marijuana was the only thing left in which the government wasn't involved.

copobo
11-16-2009, 03:42 AM

instead, lets leave the caregiver model as-is. It works.

What for? to drive up costs? Because someone is meticulous, has the space and capability, and is healthy enough to do the work required to grow - does that mean they are qualified to come up with a plan for a patient? The patient already has a doctor recommendation.

More to raise the cost of medicine for so many who may already be unable to afford more traditional medicines + health care

Why? Every caregiver in the state to go through a background check - to take care of a husband or wife or aging parent? We aren't talking about nursing home care, we are talking about someone who can grow good quality medicine. If no patient contact is to be required by the state, there is no need to be concerned with background.

How about requiring the bud be grown in a legal medical marijuana state? Let's not embargo, we may someday want to export..

The bill would also:
Why? Concerned some younger folks may be using cannabis instead of alcohol? Hell, Boulder would be a much better place if all the college students smoked instead.

yes. let's do it. charge a fee.

What a tool. Let market forces take care of that, not bullshit regulations. More than half will be out of business on their own in the first year...

Hopefully someone gets some sensible regs proposed which protect the patients instead of raising prices & adding unneeded bureaucratic BS.

Dietblonde
11-16-2009, 04:03 AM
copobo, you couldn't have worded it any better. Tomorrow I'm heading to a conference about the future of MMJ in Colorado and I expect to get some answers about what could happen in the future and how we all can deter these possible changes. Check out the event here:
SAFER - Denver Thanksgiving Celebration Nov. 16 (http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/965/9/)

justinsane33
11-16-2009, 05:19 AM
i especially like this part--'I fully expect well over 50 percent of the dispensaries will go out of business,"- it makes perfect sense to me to destroy a growing industry right as it's starting to have a positive effect on the state economy.

GratefulMeds
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
It Hasn't happened yet and if enough people write Romer and pressure there own local State Representatives, he will pull the proposed bill or it will be rejected. Keep up the pressure and Power to the Patients!

[email protected]