PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

fetcher
04-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi All,

Reading Revelation's posts have been quite enlightening. Thank you for your compassion and sharing your knowledge with those in need of it.

I'm tired of being dependent on Kaiser's drug pushing. I worry that if something happened where I couldn't get the Rxs, for one reason or another, it would resemble torture. I'm prescribed 400 Vicodin a month for pain (that I take 12 Excedrin a day with to make it work), Effexor, so I don't whine about the pain, Zantac, to reduce the acid in my stomach from taking Vicodin and Excedrin, Allegra for the chronic rashes and tissue swelling that I get from Vicodin, and Trazadone, for night pain and sleep.

I've unsuccessfully tried to reduce the dosage of these drugs. Without the high doses of Vicodin the pain is out-of-control and there is no quality to life, just pain. Reducing both the Effexor and the Excedrin, even missing one dose, sparks a migraine that lasts 2 days after taking the recommended dosages again. I take Allegra every twelve hours and by hour 11 my hands start to itch and swell and by hour thirteen I can't make a fist. Missing a Zantac brings on heartburn and stomach problems that can last for days, even weeks. And, of course, without Trazadone I can't sleep and wake up tired and less able to handle what I need to do to survive life that day.

See what I mean? Kaiser has been controlling my life 24/7 for the past 10 years and I finally decided to start doing something about it. THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Yesterday I went to a doctor that specializes in medical cannabis and received my California card. I've been reading about it and experimenting for awhile now, but not using it the way I need to in order for it to make a real, long-term difference.

Now, picture this. A (young) 55 year old grandmother, nicely, yet appropriately dressed for a day out, a sassy hair style and moderate makeup. An attractive women that still holds on to her dignity while obviously struggling to achieve her goal. (That's ME LOL)

The doctor was great ... a very compassionate, professional office. Then I was sent to a store where paraphernalia was sold. I was a little uncomfortable since I haven't been in a similar environment for over 30 years. I was sent to the back where I filled out my paperwork and received my ID card. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was the oldest person there and definitely over-dressed. I bought a pipe to smoke my medicine in with the help of a couple of young people. An epiphany; I realized that it's not my generation's world any more and it's time to hand it over with the hope they'll do a better job than we did.

The next step in my journey was to actually purchase the medicine from a dispensary. What an experience! I enter this little cafe with my paperwork neatly tucked into the folder given to me by the doctor. I guess it was obvious why I was there because I was greeted with a smile and told to go to the back of the cafe. Standing in back was a "bouncer-type" man that told me to have a seat until there was an opening in the room behind the 60ish curtain. I sat there with my purse on my lap and my cane resting against the wall all the time feeling out-of-place among the young people and street folk. Behind the curtain was a small, dark room with seating and a woman behind a half-door-counter setup. I didn't know what to buy, but didn't want to appear stupid, so I just picked two different strains, a cookie and a brownie. It felt a little sleazy.

There are many lifestyles, especially in California, and the impression I got was that medical cannabis is marketed to only a few of those. This could be a downfall to the legalization process. Maybe there needs to be little country stores for us more conservative (NOT politically speaking), grandmas and grandpas. LOL

So, here I am, pipe in hand and ready to use this herb to better my health and quality of life. I need your help.

Ali

gutterslang
04-02-2005, 08:55 PM
That was a most interesting post :)

Keep posting about how its working out for you.

I know what you mean about the sleazy feeling. That's how I felt the first time I bought seeds and lights. I imagined smokers as being spaced out headbangers like in highschool, but then I found this board and I was amazed to find I was in some very good company...ordinary folks leading normal lives.

Welcome to the normal world!

fetcher
04-03-2005, 04:16 PM
<Welcome to the normal world!

Hopefully, my post didn't come across as judgmental to lifestyles. That was not my intention and is not my feeling. I've never considered myself "normal", but more of an outspoken activist against what the government tells us it means. Lifestyles shouldn't separate people, character should. So, I hope this group isn't too "normal."

fetcher
04-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I think the weed I smoked yesterday was too strong for pain relief. Oh yeah, it relieved my pain, but I don't remember much else. LOL Great for relaxing, but not for getting things done.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a strain that would be good for pain, energy and motivation, or is that an oxymoron?

Mogizzle
04-03-2005, 07:25 PM
From what I have heard a Sativa strain for example White Rhino will give you a more energetic and 'up' high and the Indica strains for example Northern Lights will give you a more laid back, relaxed and a 'down' high.

Mogizzle
04-03-2005, 07:30 PM
The longer you smoke weed the higher your tolerance to it will go up. Like you were saying it did work for pain relief but you didn't remember much else after taking it.

My theory: When you have a higher tolerance for example smoking it for about a year 5 - 6 times a day you will still get stoned but not as much as what you were the year before. So if you have a high tolerance and smoke weed for medical reasons it should still help with pain relief but you wont get as stoned as you used to.

mellow mood
04-04-2005, 02:14 AM
didnt read the whole thing. all i can say is your a newbie, as the post say it, so ill attach a funny pic sum1 alrdy posted earlier muhahaha

LearyS Disciple
04-04-2005, 04:04 AM
didnt read the whole thing. all i can say is your a newbie, as the post say it, so ill attach a funny pic sum1 alrdy posted earlier muhahaha

i bet if u read it, u wouldnt be saying that

gutterslang
04-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I think the weed I smoked yesterday was too strong for pain relief. Oh yeah, it relieved my pain, but I don't remember much else. LOL Great for relaxing, but not for getting things done.

Part of it is finding the correct "dosage" that works for you. I find that I can get alot of the medical benefit while still being able to go about your day. I use a 1-hitter pipe and add more if I need it.

This will change as your tolerance increases, but you'll get the hang of it. Then you can always smoke more when you have the time to really relax and mellow out. Unlike most presciption meds, you can't overdose on MJ plus the side effects of the drug are actually positive!

...and no, you didn't come across as judgemental :)