PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Medical Marijuana Analytical Lab

greenimp
08-29-2009, 03:23 PM
If anyone here can help me gauge what interest the colorado community might have in an analytical laboratory that specializes in cannabis quality control. I am a biotechnology researcher with 10 years of experience in analytical methods. In the past I have provided quality control services on a limited case by case basis for producers, and recently I have been asked to provide these service much more regularly. As I currently can not provide regular testing in my current setting, it has been suggested to me that the larger provider community would be very interested in utilizing such a service, and that it might be viable as a stand alone business. I am looking for any feedback from the community that I can get.

A little bit about what I have provided in the past. I have developed a method for cannabinod analysis of samples utilizing HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) and GC/MS (Gas Chromatography/ Mass Spectrometry). What this means is that I am able to determine the content of THC, THCV, THCA, CBD, CBN, CBDA, and CBC in just about any cannabis material (raw plant material, oils, consumables, and extracts). I use only about 250 mg or material per test (a very small amount) In the past this information has been used primary for strain improvement, but it can also be used to provide characterization and quality control. Other services I could provide include mold and fungus detection and characterization, detection and quantification of the presence of pesticides and residual fertilizers, and bulk sterilization of products.

I have a few questions that will help me determine if providing these services to the community could form a self sustaining business. If you could answer the questions below it would be very helpful.

Would you be interested in any of these services?

As a patient would knowing the content of your medicine be something that you would find desirable?

Would it effect your choice of provider?

If so, which services do you see as the highest priority? I am assuming that cannabinod analysis would be the most attractive based on past experience.

If you are a dispensary or care giver, how many samples a month do you think you would require? A single sample could quantify a whole crop/bake good/extract/etc. In the past people have used this to test new clones and monitor strain production over time.

I estimate the cost of running and analyzing a sample right now to be 35-40$, does this seem like a ok price point?

If not, what do you think is a viable price point? Keep in mind each sample needs about 30 mins of tech time, 45 mins of machine time, plus reagent costs.

Finally would you or anyone you know be interested in investing in this type of business? If so, please forward them this message, and have them contact me at tor.talk(at)gmail.com

I am considering offering pre-purchasing of sample analysis, at a significant discount to help fund the venture, is this something you might consider?

If anyone has any other questions or comments go ahead and post them here.

I thank you for your time.

GI

COVaper
08-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Would you be interested in any of these services?
Probably not.

As a patient would knowing the content of your medicine be something that you would find desirable?
Not to the the detail you offer. I grow my own medicine so I already know what's in it.

Would it effect your choice of provider?
Probably not if I were to use one. I don't trust them now. They charge too much already. They would pass on your fees to the patient than probably lie about the results or alter the medicine after tests.

Not sure if I'm an average patient but I wish you luck.

Regards

TheStrainMan
08-30-2009, 05:25 AM
I think your target market could be dispensaries/caregivers who grow their own meds; and use the results of your analysis as marketing tools. IMO it would make sense to get this kind of data on strains that are a staple at the shop (like the Sweet Tooth #3 that's always at B.A.M. cause they keep growing out the same clones). Ounces come and go fast at these places, so by the time your analysis came back, they can't use it.

Personally, I would LOVE to know these figures anytime I'm up at the dispensary counter. It's just the meds are so inconsistent from week to week.

The Strain Man (http://www.thestrainman.blogspot.com)

greenimp
08-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Turn around time on an analysis could be as quick as 24 hours. 48 is more likely. Plus not ever ounce would been to be measured. A representative sample of the crop could be taken and used.

altitudefarmer
09-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Have you checked with the people at cannabis science? I wish actually there was someone who would check the buds sold at dispensaries- I've seen some ridiculous prices on mediocre cannabis; and seen stuff sold as "organic" that burns like a firecracker fuse because of all the nutes... you'll like this link I think: Introducing... (http://www.cannabisscience.com) Dr. Melamede was a professor of mine at UCCS and is an incredible person. Good luck to you!

colosun
09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi, just wanted to say I think you have a cool idea. There is one small problem everyone in town seems to have the best meds, or so they claim. You are going to make liars out of everyone. I hope you succeed and would use your knowledge, if you are hanging your services out there. I only grow for myself but would be interested in how my stuff compares. I would also be interested in my nutrient levels. I'm not sure how to contact you on here so if you can put a way to contact in your reply that would be great.
Cheers to all:)

greenimp
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Well here how things are looking to break down. The lab will be up and running in 30 days. I got the money today, and the equipment is being purchased over the next few days. I hope to be taking samples on oct 1. The laboratory is only going to run samples. And we will probably not accept them via mail from the public, as this will expose us to far too much liability. My lawyers just are too nervous about using the mail...

We are going to start a certification service (separate company) for MMJ. This company will pull, prepare and transport samples to the laboratory. This company will verify crop for THC, CNB content. As well as test for Mold/Fungus, water content and the major pesticides. Certified material will get a CoA (certificate of analysis) w/ "best used by date" and certification labels with key data on it. Right now we are looking to make each dispensary a certification provider, or at least ones that want to join the service. Another option is setting up subsidiary offices in each geographic area to act as certification providers. Think of certification proviers as a Notary for the MMJ world.

What this means is that we plan to cover all of CO by the end of October and start in CA by Nov 1, if not sooner. Other markets to follow. If you have a interest becoming a certification provider let me know at tor.talk (at) gmail.com.

If you are in CO and want to drop a sample off for analysis in the lab that will be an option, and we will post a drop box address once we are ready to take samples. (This may also be a dispensary near you....)

Anyway, cross your fingers, we a little luck this is going to become a reality.

Please keep the feedback coming guys, I am open to all ideas, and will listen to anything anyone wants to comment on. We are kind of breaking new ground here, so really everything is on the table. I also want to say that this community is amazing, and I can't believe the number of good people I have meet so far.

NatureLover
09-10-2009, 12:57 AM
I think your target market could be dispensaries/caregivers who grow their own meds;

Yes, and the growers who sell to the dispensaries which don't grow their own meds.

I think the bottom line is this; stats are valuable to the consumer, it's going to make the consumer feel better about the product. Therefore, it's also going to be valuable to the dispensaries and the growers, because if this dispensary can show organic certification and stuff (can you test for that?) and the other dispensary can't and the product looks the same and costs the same I know I'm going to go for the one that's been tested and passed as organic. Maybe if you developed a system for giving the leyman a quality ranking of the strain in addition to all those stats it would have a much wider appeal. I say target the consumer because the consumer is going to dictate the rest of the market.

ViridisWellness
09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
GreenImp, I think this is a great idea that will do well as the industry matures. Please contact me at [email protected]. We're interested in hearing more about your services. Cheers...

gangagirl
09-20-2009, 01:38 PM
What a gresat service for patients!!!!