PDA

View Full Version : Am I eligible? How should I proceed?

quilatoa
07-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Howdy folks,

Some Background:
I'm not "officially" a resident of California - my taxes, drivers license, etc are based in another west coast state. I travel a lot for work, and I happen to be spending most of my time in California, and will be for the near future.

I'm interested in pursuing a recommendation for some legal cannabis meds.

Currently I have prescriptions for ambien, temazepam, flexeril, vicodin, and tylenol 3 for sleep apnea, travel related sleep issues (aka jetlag, the bane of my existence), a screwed up disc in my back, and my most recent ailment, a shoulder injury. I take these meds when I need to, but I really hate them. Ambien is frightening stuff, temazepam barely works, the flexeril is some sort of antidepressant that also relaxes muscles, and the opiates are ok but I don't really care for the side effects (constipation, tolerance, etc). On top of all that, I work long hours at a stressful job, and while I've resisted seeking other prescriptions for anxiety and stress relief, I could probably benefit there as well.

With an ice pack on the shoulder injury, some ibuprofen, and a couple hits in the evening and I can deal with the pain, get some sleep, and wind down from my crazy job. I'd much rather do that then deal with the other prescription drugs, at least while I'm working through this shoulder injury.

Cannabis improves my quality of life, both physically and mentally, and I'm a firm believer in what California is doing here.

Anyhow, my living arrangement here is such that I don't have any proof of residence. I have an apartment, but it's rented by a corporate entity and I don't have a single piece of paper with my California address. From reading the DMV site, this seems to mean I cannot get a California driver's license, even if I wanted to (I don't - I do need to maintain my real residence back home).

However, it appears I can get a state ID card just by filling out some forms and showing ID (like my passport).

My Questions:

I know I need to speak with a doctor for medical advice, but from your experience, do my ailments merit a recommendation?
I plan on heading down to the DMV once I've retrieved my passport from back home, but in the meantime, do you think I can get a CA ID card (not a driver's license)?
How do I go about finding a doctor to give a recommendation? I'm hesitant to bring this up with my primary care physician due to the stigma and the fact that he's out of state anyway.
Once I have a prescription, do I have to register with the state to get some sort of "prop 215 card"? The reading I've done is unclear on this point.
Will a dispensary take a CA ID (not drivers license) as valid ID?

Thanks a lot for any advice. For what it's worth, I'm in Sacramento but I love to road trip and am willing to drive if it means dealing with cool people and good dispensaries. I've heard the scene here in Sacramento is not that ideal.

hyffe818
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
no! your not elgiable..got to colorado and get your damn mmj..

quilatoa
07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Not eligible in what regard? And what's a damn mmj? And why should I go to Colorado to get one?

matrixhomie
07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
you got some nice perscriptions, take some ambien and drink some soda and refuse to fall asleep, ive had some trippy expieriences with ambien lol.
vicodins are really cool to abuse aswell lol.
crushing up iboprofen with a spoon and snorting it in lines is fun too.
sorry im a bit off-topic but incase you dont get your medical marijuana you always have other options lol.

jwelly
07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
i can help you if you live around sacramento or could drive there. do you have MSN, AIM or yahoo messenger?

jwelly
07-10-2009, 04:59 PM
re-read your post. sorry i believe you have to be a resident of california to use our medicine :p

hyffe818
07-11-2009, 02:54 AM
^^exactly..mmj= mdeical maryjane

quilatoa
07-11-2009, 03:47 AM
re-read your post. sorry i believe you have to be a resident of california to use our medicine :p

This is the root of what I'm trying to get to. What does it mean to be a resident according to 215? I live here, work here, pay taxes here, etc.

I, like many others, also have another residence in another state, however.

quilatoa
07-11-2009, 03:48 AM
you got some nice perscriptions, take some ambien and drink some soda and refuse to fall asleep, ive had some trippy expieriences with ambien lol.
sorry im a bit off-topic but incase you dont get your medical marijuana you always have other options lol.

Snorting ibuprofen? You must be fucking with us.

For what it's worth, I get no euphoria from vicodin, and wouldn't use it for fun even if that's what I was after. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Ambien? That shit is bad news. It causes blackouts and zombie-like behavior. Not fun.

quilatoa
07-12-2009, 05:38 AM
1) I know I need to speak with a doctor for medical advice, but from your experience, do my ailments merit a recommendation?
5) Will a dispensary take a CA ID (not drivers license) as valid ID?

Hi all,

I'm really hoping to hear from folks about these two questions in particular. Thoughts?

Pikachu5
07-15-2009, 07:29 AM
This is the root of what I'm trying to get to. What does it mean to be a resident according to 215? I live here, work here, pay taxes here, etc.

I, like many others, also have another residence in another state, however.

Legal CA residency means that CA is your principal place of residence. It is where you have your business and personal accounts set up, including credit card billing, vehicle registration, insurance, and voters' registration.

If you are here on temporary business, you're considered transitory, and not a CA resident.

veggii
07-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Howdy folks,

Some Background:
I'm not "officially" a resident of California - my taxes, drivers license, etc are based in another west coast state. I travel a lot for work, and I happen to be spending most of my time in California, and will be for the near future.

I'm interested in pursuing a recommendation for some legal cannabis meds.

Currently I have prescriptions for ambien, temazepam, flexeril, vicodin, and tylenol 3 for sleep apnea, travel related sleep issues (aka jetlag, the bane of my existence), a screwed up disc in my back, and my most recent ailment, a shoulder injury. I take these meds when I need to, but I really hate them. Ambien is frightening stuff, temazepam barely works, the flexeril is some sort of antidepressant that also relaxes muscles, and the opiates are ok but I don't really care for the side effects (constipation, tolerance, etc). On top of all that, I work long hours at a stressful job, and while I've resisted seeking other prescriptions for anxiety and stress relief, I could probably benefit there as well.

With an ice pack on the shoulder injury, some ibuprofen, and a couple hits in the evening and I can deal with the pain, get some sleep, and wind down from my crazy job. I'd much rather do that then deal with the other prescription drugs, at least while I'm working through this shoulder injury.

Cannabis improves my quality of life, both physically and mentally, and I'm a firm believer in what California is doing here.

Anyhow, my living arrangement here is such that I don't have any proof of residence. I have an apartment, but it's rented by a corporate entity and I don't have a single piece of paper with my California address. From reading the DMV site, this seems to mean I cannot get a California driver's license, even if I wanted to (I don't - I do need to maintain my real residence back home).

However, it appears I can get a state ID card just by filling out some forms and showing ID (like my passport).

My Questions:

I know I need to speak with a doctor for medical advice, but from your experience, do my ailments merit a recommendation?

1. chronic pain / valid

I plan on heading down to the DMV once I've retrieved my passport from back home, but in the meantime, do you think I can get a CA ID card (not a driver's license)?

2. california state id / valid

How do I go about finding a doctor to give a recommendation? I'm hesitant to bring this up with my primary care physician due to the stigma and the fact that he's out of state anyway.

3.correct your primary would have a fit! most likely/ their is list around this website somewhere of california docotors/dispenciaries

Once I have a prescription, do I have to register with the state to get some sort of "prop 215 card"?

4.no

The reading I've done is unclear on this point.
Will a dispensary take a CA ID (not drivers license) as valid ID?

5. yes > with your doctors written recomendation paper

Thanks a lot for any advice. For what it's worth, I'm in Sacramento but I love to road trip and am willing to drive if it means dealing with cool people and good dispensaries. I've heard the scene here in Sacramento is not that ideal.

my doctor has office in sacramento I highly recomend them Dr. Denny & Dr Sullivan offices take your full medical records! exp the injury reports/ xray/ ctscans /mri's goog luck

quilatoa
09-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Legal CA residency means that CA is your principal place of residence. It is where you have your business and personal accounts set up, including credit card billing, vehicle registration, insurance, and voters' registration.

If you are here on temporary business, you're considered transitory, and not a CA resident.

I understand where you're coming from, but I doubt any of those requirements are actually (directly or indirectly) in 215.

Is a CA ID sufficient under the law?

(edit: Thanks Veggi! I can see you actually answered all my questions in-line, they just got lost in the quoted text).

ForgetClassC
09-17-2009, 04:05 PM

wtf dude, this is why people think drugs are bad, because dumb asses like you fucking snort ibuprofen.

Also, I can't wiat to get my MMJ card, I'm trying to move to New Hampshire and get it. I'm pretty sure I have an ailment that will suffice. I've had backpain since I was about 16 from wrestling/car accidents and now every waking moment I have backpain. There's no one time when I don't have backpain. But when I'm blitzd, I forget about it, so maybe I can find a doc up there sometime that will lemme get that MMJ. MAybe.

rudy2010
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Just call Medicann right in Sacto and ask what the requirements are. If you have a CA address just get a CA lic and that is all that is probably required. That is all I had to show. 1-866-632-6627