PDA

View Full Version : Cannanis withdrawal

Erick Salas
03-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Hello All

I have been smoking weed everyday for the last 2 years and now I want to quit, the last joint was 4 days ago and since yesterday I'm feeling anxious, nervous and kind of depress. not a good feeling of course, I'm trying to keep myself busy but still having that horrible feeling. I have read in other websites that taking anti-depressants can help and that the withdrawal will go away soon.

is this true? what kind of anti-depressant can I buy in the drugstore without a medical prescription?

any other ideas of how to fight the withdrawal?

Thanks in advance
Erick

del...
03-25-2005, 04:07 PM
yes, it is true, but substitution is not the best way to go.
cannabis is not physically addicting but the habit of regular use can be, just like anything else can be if one does it routinely. take your head to another place...hanging at a pot site won't help much if you're serious about stopping. i've always found nature to be the perfect getaway for the brain...also road trips help.

ron (this site's owner) also runs a 'help' site that's full of people recovering from all sorts of addictions and would be more helpful to you...they'll have some suggestions for you: http://drugabusehelp.com/

good luck

frenchy420
03-25-2005, 05:00 PM
When I am out or have to quit for a while, it helps me to take a little St. John's wort. I still want to smoke a bowl, but the anxiousness goes away and makes the craving more managable for me.
Del's right though. The best thing to do it to get your head in a different place. Go for a walk, do some art, play a video game. Anything that keeps ya from thinking about it.
Good luck to you~
*frenchy

ezjim
03-25-2005, 06:30 PM
you will feel much worse coming off an anti depressent than you will from stopping cannibis use also many of the newer AD's have terible side affect's including dependancy loss of sleep and in some cases suicide if you cant smoke any more try drinking a beer or glass of wine for the anxiety good luck

larry
03-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Del i dont know what your talking about

If you read anything about drug withrawl you
would know that anti-depresants dont help
and a doctor wont give them to you if he
knows your a drug abuser.

If you want over the counter anti-depressants try SAM-e

Hardbud
03-26-2005, 04:46 PM
The best answer to quiting bud smoke is to slowly reduce the
amount you smoke each day.

You should not take anti-depresants for withdrawl.

chris420
03-29-2005, 01:20 AM
i had to take a break atleast for a couple days( i need my dose of sobriety) and its been 3 days since i last smoked grass, the first 2 days werent as pleasant as today was i was irritated at everyone, had these all of a sudden mood swings. today hasnt been a bad day at all, its been quite a normal psychological day. you just need to spend some time alone for the first couple of days or just send urself somewhere else. but itll pass man no worries

dylan
03-29-2005, 01:56 AM
i haven't smoked in two months. i still "hang out" on many weed sites, an around people that smoke, i even still grow! i also smoked for nine years several times a day. the only hard part was the first week, after that it's easy....except for the occasional dream when i smoke and then feel guilty because i have decided to quit, and am on probation. the only symtoms i felt were: insomnia, apitite dysfunction, vivid dreams, and mild anxiousness. i still have the dreams, but that's kinda fun. i have noticed i drink alot more though.

rysk8er420
03-29-2005, 04:57 AM
why would u want to quit anyways? smoke weed for life

ilovelife
03-29-2005, 10:01 PM
when i had to quit a lil while ago it was easy just find a hobby besides smoking and keep doing it, also spend time with sober bitches and see wat they do to pass the time. but i no exactly wat dylan's talkin bout with the dreams. when i quit i would have dreams every nite about smoking. hell i once woke up wet after a dream about smoking.

del...
03-30-2005, 08:07 AM
larry, i think you need to reread or something...

a remedial reading course may be of use to you...

bosscitywhitey
03-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Del i dont know what your talking about

If you read anything about drug withrawl you
would know that anti-depresants dont help
and a doctor wont give them to you if he
knows your a drug abuser.

If you want over the counter anti-depressants try SAM-e

that's not true. written in my medical records are the words "Polysubstance Abuse" and "Cannabis Dependancy". While a family doctor sort wouldn't give you anything, the shrink will be happy to help out. I quit for a year and by the 3rd month or so i was the same way, but the doctor gave me so much medication, i couldn't take all of it when i was supposed to because i'd be sedated/passed the fuck out for most of the day. At one time I was prescribed ritalin, klonopin, depakote, nuerontin and paxil. it made me see shit. so yeah, if you tell a shrink you're depressed you're getting antidepressants.

larry
03-31-2005, 03:14 AM
What is that about? Does it make sense to anyone?
:confused:

Kevin Spencer
04-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Hey, yea i know what its like trying to quit smoking pot, Ive always been told its harmless and its not addictive, I personally think it is, but that all depends on yourself as well. Ive always had an addictive personality. THe last couple of months ive cut back alot, its down to once a day, over the last 5 years ive been probably getting high close to 5-10 times a day, so its a big change, but it feels good. I found its hard to sleep(ive always had that prob anyways) and i am always anxious, but then again i have an anxiety prob as well. Lol, ive never gone to pyschiatrist because i dont want to get loaded up on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs because i have seen my friends go through all that and atleast for them it didnt work. You gotta find a way like everyones said, to kinda distract urself, even reading helps, i wouldnt be able to play video games though if i completely quit, that was a favourite past time for me when i was high so. Its not a good idea either just to substitute it, even though i have myself with alcohol. Ive always kinda looked down upon alcoholics cause my ole man was and my moms ole man, and my dads ole man, etc, but i have come to realize, i am now an alcoholic. Its rather pathetic and I am not proud of myself, even though ive cut back on weed, ive increased everything else, especially smoking and drinking. i still havent found a way to cope with it without any other substance, so I guess im not really a help, but just keep distracted, try to get a buzz off music or soemthing else, like if u play an instrument, put on some tunes, and jam with them, especially the ones that make u get shivers down ur spine, i find that helps cause its extra stimulation. If you cant sleep, try not to get frustrated, i find thats the hardest part. I usually get 3-4 hours a night, sometimes 2, sometimes 6, but thats rare, and I work as a meat packer, which is a pretty physical job so im obviously fatigued everyday. If anyone has any sleeping tips, id love to know some. BUt anyways, just keep urself busy, work helps, but then again, when everyone at ur work is a stoner, hahahaha, its hard to get away from it, just isolate urself, and giver all ya got.

gutterslang
04-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I went thought cannabis WD just recently...not voluntarily...the post office lost my order :( oh well.

The first week or so was rough in terms of cravings but it smoothed out after that. I smoke mostly for med reasons...stop laughing, i'm serious! :) and I have to compensate for that. But I wouldn't say its worse than quitting any other pleasurable activity. Try giving up sex and/or masturbation! See how you're feeling after a couple weeks!

But I wouldn't recommend taking anything to compensate because most everything else, including antidepressants, alcohol, etc. Are even worse in terms of dependence and withdrawal. Herbals are better options and aerobic exercise helps a lot. You gotta get those endorphins built back up again.

GL!

kyle
04-02-2005, 03:51 AM
I smoke and masturbate everyday.
But qutting marijuana, for me anyway, is quite easy. Sometimes if I've been heavy smoking for a week or two the first day or two will be a bit irratating but then I feel fine. Just quit cold turkey, if you can't quit a herb like weed without racing for meds. Ouch.

larry
04-02-2005, 04:02 AM
If you quit weed and then take valuim whats the piont?
Then you are addicted to two drugs.

Chug350
04-02-2005, 09:50 PM
hey heres wat u should do

stop trying to quit

and smoke a doobie

then smoke one more

then go do something (possibly smoke a few more bowls/doobs)

Erick Salas
04-04-2005, 09:09 PM
well, thanks all for all the feedback.

I have 14 days clean now and I can tell you it is not fun, I felt anxious and very depressed a few days ago but I'm feeling better now, the only thing that is really bothering me is the lack of sleep so I went to see my doctor on Sunday and he gave me sleeping pills (bad idea!!) those pills are worst than the withdrawal itself, it helps you to sleep but the next day I have a bad hangover and it makes me feel more sick than rested so I'm not taking the pills anymore.

I'm doing some daily exercise and forcing my self to eat healthy food, trying warm baths at night and the most important thing I try to be with family all day and keeping my mind positive about everything. I'm worried about how long it would take to have my sleep back but after all the research and questions around I know it will pass. the sooner the better!

however, after two weeks with no weed I feel different in the good sense, I can focus in my job better and suprisingly I'm in a better mood now and I don't feel lazy anymore. all in all this change in my life is for my own good and my family too I realise I don't need any more drugs to feel better with myself.

days go by and this withdrawal thingy is fading away and I'm happy. I'll miss the high but I'm ok better without it. all the best for you folks!

Inspiration
04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I fast once every 3 months for 2 weeks. This enables me to do a number of things:

1. Keep respect for the weed - make sure I continue to remember why I really enjoy it...
2. When I fast I drink lotsa spring water and lemon juice, and eat lotsa tomatoes - helps to give the body a good cleanse out...
3. I tell my bud smoking friends - so they know - the only was to quit (even for a while), is to get away from the temptation...

Its true that when you are bored - the urge to smoke becomes greater ... but giving yourself a target, a timescale and a mission (detox), makes it easier - and like lotsa people have already said - don't do the things that you normally associate with smoking pot ... gotta change all the habits son!

gutterslang
04-09-2005, 04:37 PM
I've heard from several people who do what Inspiration advised.

I don't have a lot of self-discipline, but I make up for it in laziness :) So I just procrastinate getting more when I run out until a week or so has passed.

In addition to lowering tolerance, drying out gives me a sense of control.

"In Soviet Russia the weed smokes you!"

IanCurtisWishlist
04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
i've been smoking hella weed everyday for like 2 months now (and i mean like all day every day). i haven't smoked in like 3 days (not even on 420!) and the first two days were complete utter fucking hell. i was angry, my moods were swinging, i STILL can't sleep...my goal is to now use it in moderation (maybe once a day, when i start again).

hipEstoner
04-22-2005, 01:49 PM
why quit weed ne way, unless u got a job that requires random testing , or you work for the gov or something?

kchaos
04-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey Erick,

Maybe the medicine you are taking is blocking your REM sleep period, where we really rest our brain, so take it earlier! don`t take the pills just before going to sleep! take it earlier, so you have all the sleep stages.

I only smoke at the weekends! I have a session every saturday and thats all!
When you get high, donĀ“t talk shit! some people smokes and keep talking the same shit! try a different trip!

Cannabis is a power weed! just watch how indians smoke it.

It is great that you are feeling better!

Remember: there is no free lunch in the universe! everything has its price!