PDA

View Full Version : safe to eat all grades of weed?

MedusaGrower
04-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Would you all hesitate to cook and eat cheap weed? Weed that has clearly been mass produced in fields. I'm a little worried that chemicals may have been sprayed on such weed, like pesticides. And I would be more comfortable smoking such weed than eating it. Anybody in this forum know much about where "reg" and mid grade weed comes from, and whether it has chemicals on it? I am a lot more inclined to eat buds that I grew msyelf, organically, or any other high grade weed I get from somebody else. the other day I cooked a half ounce of reg weed in oil, and it turned out to be pretty potent stuff. It gets me really high I'm just paranoid about the possibility of ingesting unwanted chemicals. Am I worrying over nothing?

Coelho
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Well... i dont know if there are bad chemicals in low quality weed, but if you are too worried about this, make green dragon (http://boards.cannabis.com/concentrates/82380-definitive-green-dragon-revised-updated-combined.html) with your weed, filter it, and heat it again until the alcohol evaporate completly and there be only a black resin left. This black resin is the cannabis resin, also called hash oil. It can be smoked (its VERY strong) or mixed with oil/butter/milk/whatever to made weed edibles.

This process extracts only the important part of the cannabis (the THC containing resin) and leaves behind any other substances that are insoluble in alcohol (hopefully, most of them are).

MedusaGrower
04-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Would any of you all hesitate to cook and eat cheap weed? Weed that has clearly been mass produced in fields. I'm a little worried that chemicals may have been sprayed on such weed, like pesticides. And I would be more comfortable smoking such weed than eating it. Anybody in this forum know much about where "reg" and mid grade weed comes from, and whether it has chemicals on it? I am a lot more inclined to eat buds that I grew msyelf, organically, or any other high grade weed I get from somebody else. the other day I cooked a half ounce of reg weed in oil, and it turned out to be pretty potent stuff. It gets me really high I'm just paranoid about the possibility of ingesting unwanted chemicals. Am I worrying over nothing?

LOC NAR on probation
04-23-2009, 03:33 PM
High , mid , low. That's the thing any of it can have chems on or in it unless you grow it or whatched who did. Smoking does not get rid of the chems and it can make some worse. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

That is why we all should grow for ourselves or to help the sick. The dispenseries have to know who grows for them and should check out the grow house to be sure.

For all I know , if I did not see the grow I might as well be smoking labbador dog sh-t.

Purple Banana
04-23-2009, 05:59 PM
I haven't had any instance where my bud had any chemical taste or flavor that I could detect, but if you are really concerned, you could wash your bud off with some water. THC and other cannabinoids are only minutely water-soluble, so it wouldn't decrease the potency of your bud in any noticeable way. Most pesticides, fertilizers etc. are water soluble, so the rinsing should help wash off anything that might be present. Make sure to use cool water (I wouldn't advise using soap or detergent, might have some bad effects), hold a bud under the water for a few seconds, turning, and if desired, prodding the bud to have better penetration of the water. Lay on a paper towel, and put in a dry, sunny place. Voila!

If you have exceptionally dry bud, try moistening it up a bit first with a bit of wet paper or small fruit peel in your stashbox, only for a little while- you don't want to encourage bacterial or mold growth. If you rinse it after the bud is a bit springy, it will be a bit easier for you to maintain the flakier, drier pieces of bud, if you have any.

JaggedEdge
04-24-2009, 01:10 AM
If you live in the States and you buy low grade it most likely comes from mexico. I've baked with low grade weed before and have never had any problems, granted I suppose I could develop something later. I would imagine inhaling harmful pesticides would be as bad as eating them though... I'm not exactly sure about that though.

It depends on the pesticides though. Pesticides are used on a lot of our produce as well. To be honest, I don't think you have anything to worry about. To answer your question directly I have never worried about it and even after you have posed that question I still won't. :rasta:

fluid69
04-24-2009, 02:41 AM
a good rule of thumb, does it smell good enough to eat? if it smells tasty go for it.

jimb80
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
All grades of buds can have nasty chems in them, because most people don't rank cannabis by what the grower puts into it. This information simply isn't available unless you actually know the grower. Most people don't know what's in their tomatoes either, even the Organic ones. They just pick the pretty ones.

You may be able to wash of some sprays if the bud has just been freshly cut, but funky nutrients leave salts and other non-smokables inside the plant's tissue.

I'd eat it before I smoked it. Green Dragon is a good idea as well.