PDA

View Full Version : Pot size/ shape

reworgallirog
03-09-2009, 02:33 AM
how deep do mj roots need to be to be stable when grown in soil? Example: To use a pot that was wider than the depth to save space, will the roots grow horizontal once they hit the bottom, does anyone have any ideas if it would work just as well as a normal 3-7gal pot

tinytoon
03-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes roots will go horizontal. No different as in nature if you plant a bush in your yard that has 18" of soil and then a layer of flatrock, the roots will grow down until they hit rock and then go in the direction of least resistance. Depth is still a critical key in stability though, so if you are going to grow tall you might want more depth.

Rusty Trichome
03-09-2009, 12:52 PM
This isn't scientific, and I offer no proof, as it's too subjective anyway...but I seem to get bigger, healthier rootballs in my 5 gallon buckets, than I get with my 5 gallon pots. (the buckets are a few inches deeper and a few inches narrower than the pots) Plus, the roots seem to love the lower regions of the bucket. (the deeper the better...?) Just something I'm keeping an eye on lately. :thumbsup:

reworgallirog
03-10-2009, 01:39 AM
thanks for the bit of info rusty i figure that the deeper the better ill probably experiment with it to see if i can find a difference. I would assume that it would be more sturdy if the roots went deeper rather then horizontal considering the all the weight of the soil but i also wont be going tall, do you think that the plant would benifit from a deeper pot because water would drain from the top to bottom better and have less "surface (pot) area" to be spread around in? Plus the plants have water roots on the bottom correct?

thanks

reworgallirog
03-12-2009, 02:00 AM
anybody, rusty?

Rusty Trichome
03-12-2009, 04:15 AM
I have no insight why the roots in the buckets seem happier than the ones in the pots. Perhaps an oxygen exchange-balance thing, or an inherent need to go deep for nutes before it's competitors do, (in the wild) but I don't know.

There are three primary functions of roots:
1) to anchor the plant to a substrate
2) to absorb water and dissolved minerals, and
3) to store food reserves.
Info about roots (http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/botanytextbooks/generalbotany/typesofroots/index.html)

But there are specialty roots and membranes. All need water to dissolve the minerals, nutrients and/or gasses (air) in the soil it's in contact with.

reworgallirog
03-14-2009, 06:01 AM
thank you, any bit of info helps and like i said i will just have to experiment to find out on my own. I was also thinkin that i might have to water more frequently since the soil will be shallower and there is more top soil to dry out, plus i will have to spread the water out more over the whole top