PDA

View Full Version : Noob!

teddyisdaman1
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Alright check it out im wondering is there anyway in hell to grow a single plant with nothing fancy but a party cup,some soil ,and a reg old high wattage house bulb ill see if i cant get a pic here real quick.........Alright got it. But yea its basicaly something i just cooked up while i was high lol go figure right. I mean ive never grow b4 figured id throw a pipe in a weed feild and hope that i can find it. let me know what u think and yea the foil thing was only temp gonna upgrade that to something little more high tech SOON. probably even b4 i get this post done

headshake
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
is that a plain ol' incandescent light bulb? if so you aren't gonna get anything accomplished with that. i'm not being rude, i'm just being real. there are a lot of factors that go into growing, light being only one (albeit maybe the most important one)! browse around these forums and check out some of the grow logs. they should give you some good ideas and answer some of your questions.

also, you want to start your seeds (after germination) in something small and step it up to a new size container as needed. if not, you are gonna get a bunch of growth below ground and not much up top. then you will have to transplant (or you plants will die), get more growth below ground, transplant, repeat.

make sure to get all of the information to set yourself up for success, not failure!

-shake

teddyisdaman1
02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey shake no offense taken like i said im completely new at this so u think an upgrade in light source and potting technique is what i need i mean im just trying to figure out if the set up is cool to start out i mean i can get ahold of a pot no prob hell i think i got one outside with no use if not i can use my trash can in the bathroom lol thats seems big enough i know many people speak of those super high wattage bulbs think there called HPS lamps now do those need like a special thing to screw into or they just use ur normal ceiling screw in base. And what the heck is and incandesent bulb lol

headshake
02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
you definitely need a new light source! as far as the HPS (high pressure sodium) lights go, you CAN NOT plug them into a standard socket. they use a different size (mogul i think it's called) not to mention that you need a ballast. you can get some Y splitters and some CFL (compact flouroescent light) from walmart or homedepot etc. when you veg you want 6500 K, which lies on the blue end of the white light spectrum. the more light the better! also you need to worry about ventilation and whatnot.

like i said, read through a couple of the grow logs. as a matter of fact, go through my first one. you will learn plenty of what not to do!

-shake

cannakeeper
02-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Also no offense, but research every aspect of the parts needed and process from light to propper drainage of container, ventilation, light scedules..everything, before you even plant a seed. I promise you will not regret it. Damn shake, looks like we are on the same direction today and you type waaay faster than me. lol Anyways...Shake is modest, his advice seems to be right on time for a noob. lol

headshake
02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Also no offense, but research every aspect of the parts needed and process from light to propper drainage of container, ventilation, light scedules..everything, before you even plant a seed. I promise you will not regret it. Damn shake, looks like we are on the same direction today and you type waaay faster than me. lol Anyways...Shake is modest, his advice seems to be right on time for a noob. lol

brilliant minds my friend, brilliant minds! i do type pretty fast, sory. thanks for the compliment! i am a noob, but i try to research as much as i can. and i have gotten plenty of help from peoples on these forums!

thanks again for the kind words!

oh, and teddy, listen to what canna said! he's right on time!

-shake

teddyisdaman1
02-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Even a sober stoner has to eat so ill hit you guys up later thanks for all the advice and for everyone else that checks out this thread please please leave comments ur ideas anything no offenses taken i cant really take any cause im sure all of you have WAY more experience then i do and i was wondering do i really need a box cause i see and read lots of threads thats talk about boxes like urs did shake i mean u see my set up i mean high tech it some more u think that shelf would be cool for a little single plant so i can get start get the feel and then maybe work my way up to 2 hell maybe even 8 plants and is the droop effect urs was had going on shake normal or is that a noob thing

headshake
02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
i'm not sure which droop effect you speak of. more than likely it was becuase they needed watered. that's a good way to tell. how much clearence do you have from the shelf to the light?

-shake

teddyisdaman1
02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
The shelf is about if i had to guess 2 maybe 2 and a half feet from the ceiling if needed i know i could go lower if i had to i have the perfect stand to its like a movable book shelf each shelf is removable each section is a foot tall its about 8 shelfs so i could potentially grow a 8 foot plant :D think about the yeild on that one. But if im gonna get that serious im gonna put some time and money into the room before i even think about doing something that big

headshake
02-16-2009, 11:29 PM
wel if you use CFLs you are going to want to keep your plant(s) 1-4" from them. you can get by here without a huge investment in cooling (i AM NOT saying don't use cooling!).

-shake

teddyisdaman1
02-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Alright well let me see if ive got this setup just about right. 4-6 flourecent lamps, stackable bookshelf with 6in mini shelf to keep it somewhat close to light source, good potting soil, pots rangeing from sprouting to full growth, and i find a way to route a fan ill go take some pics and show u the room i plan on useing. I also have another unexspected issue that i found today chuck which is my gfs step dad he doesnt really like lights being on all the time which is ok during the day u cant tell but at he darker evening hours u can tell and he would def shut off the light which would RUIN my light situation and if thos flourensents raise the bill hill def notice theres many problems that could ruin my grow ideas which is discouraging me. Enought of the boring stuff hers the pics

1)Shelf to ceiling (ruffly 2 1/2 ft)
2)What im doing right now(obviously bad please dont insult)
3)Magazine showing the depth of the shelf
4)Full pic of the room from the outside
5)The cups im trying to sprout in right now

This is what im working with i know i should and probaly will put a box around it when i get my flouresents so that might solve my light issues from the outside and will find a box to use thinking maybe just 3 sides front and sides back being just the wall im not shooting for super tall plants maybe using the 2 and half feet i have to work with until they hit the lights hope they can bud in that short of a distance.

Storm Crow
02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
They can be cool white, daylight, or warm white. You want cool white or daylight for vegging. Yes, you can get your plant to grow quite nicely with them, but more light is better. At least get one of those "Y" shaped adapters that let you use 2 bulbs instead of 1. :thumbsup: Just keep the lights real close and maybe get a small "el cheapo" fan. The wind will cause the stems to be stronger and the area to stay cooler.

Did you remember to put a hole in the bottom of your cup? It is important! If you don't put one in, the water blocks the oxygen to the roots and the plant suffers. There is a reason there is a hole in the bottom of flower pots!

Use good soil! When you transplant get good soil! Don't buy Miracle Grow anything is a good rule. (Yes, some of their products are "OK", but as a general rule ferted all wrong for cannabis.) I transplant from a 12 oz cup, to a 32 oz cup, to a 1 gallon pot, to a 19 gallon rubbermaid tub (2 plants per tub).

To veg your plant, you let it grow under 24/7 lighting. Since you want a fast turn-around time, as soon as your baby gets 5 fingered leaves, you can buy a timer ($5) and set the lights on 12/12. This will cause your baby to mature- whether a boy or girl.

Have fun!

Granny :hippy:

seattlesmoke247
02-17-2009, 08:07 PM
You are in the right direction, eventually you'll buy or build a grow box. Trust me you will find it more conveniant for lighting and whatnot. You can make one out of a rubbermaid container, some CFLS, and a fan. This way it won't be light all the time {in the room} and chuck can't complain. The electricity used is going to be minimal from CFLs, you'll get into some issues with HPS. Just research and find out what you need to do, theres enough information here for you or anyone else to learn a thing or two. GL man!!!

--SS.

teddyisdaman1
02-25-2009, 04:44 AM
Yea thanks man i will def build a box soon but right now im gonna stick with my straight bay ghettoness cause around my last post i just turn the lights off right never on more than when i go in the closet and one of my plants actualy sprouted the little four leaf thing so i dont know i got a new pot up there about 2 inches away from the light about 4 times closer than the last one so yea idk im gonna throw it out there and see if it sticks and now i also go some in the window its been real sunny around here now so well see then i can just open the window for venting. So well see until the time i can invest in building a box get the right light vents and what not so yea

ChipThaRipper
02-26-2009, 03:18 AM
The safest and most effective way is grow boxes they produce yields larger and faster, and they can be made to be disguised as other objects which is real helpful against unwanted visitors, ie 5-0

teddyisdaman1
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Yea im working up to making a grow box but for right now all i got is a window sill and my closet shelf ive been all over this website checking out all diff kinds of grow tips and wat not all good

teddyisdaman1
03-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Well since i pulled my miracle sprout out of the closet and started giving it some water and actual sunlight its growing just great. first leaves are growing out and starting to split and im getting my second set of leaves in. but the first ones that it sprouted with are starting to fall off and i was wonder is it time to start feeding it is the sunlight not enough do i need to get into cfls please let me know ill post some pics there not great but u can kinda see whats going on with it.

jkalb42
03-05-2009, 08:05 PM
do you have that growing in plain sand?

teddyisdaman1
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Yes it is plain ol regular soil i know this isnt the ideal growing stuff but i mean this grow is pretty much just a have baked idea i came up with started in my closet then stopped for awhile parents starting getting to close so i stopped week and half later i went to get rid of my stuff and one had sprouted so i basically just waterd and gave it some sun and its been doing good so im just gonna ride this train as far as it will take me if i make it to buds then ill be happy if it dies then ill be back with all the high the shit but im not sure if i should be feeding it yet at the size it is i dont really remember when i pulled it out of the closet so im not sure on what stage im in so theres gonna be lots of pictures

teddyisdaman1
03-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Here are some pics

1) Finaly got a good pic of the sprout

2)My setup from left to right- Box current sprout is in,red cup had something in but does no longer ants attacked it, two clear cups were seeds that didnt sprout but will be used to sprout in the future maybe i know clear isnt good so ill wrap them in something, green box is use to get the clear cups up into the light, ashtray and my water.

3)Is was i use to water my plants so i can keep track on how much water i am actually getting big numbers mark Milliliters