PDA

View Full Version : cold indoor growing

raiders420
12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
What up. Anyone from tahoe area or somewhere else with sub freezing temps. i'm wondering about indoor growing temp problems when it's thirty in the day and ten degrees at night. Using a 400w hps, in a 3'x2'x5' grow tent. Will the heat from the light even out the freezing temps. granted it's warmer in my house but still gets colder at night

p.s. I'll still be providing adequate ventilation

VapedG13
12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
put a temp guage in the tent....try not to get below 60-65 in veg ....add a small space heater if nessary

Revanche21
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
during light on periods, it will probably be sufficient?

raiders420
12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
thanks, yea thats what i was thinking. I'm kinda wondering how much i should exhaust when it's real cold out. that maybe pulling to much heat out might make it to cold. But yea i'll just check the temp and trial and error. Just wondering if anyone out there has faced this senario

stoned88911
12-03-2008, 11:40 PM
put a temp guage in the tent....try not to get below 60-65 in veg ....add a small space heater if nessary

what about flowering, im down to 56 at night. but my plants are doing pretty dam good.

VapedG13
12-04-2008, 08:08 AM
what about flowering, im down to 56 at night. but my plants are doing pretty dam good.

Flowering its ok to be in the 50s while in the dark...thats the same temp outside for fall weather at night.......we are trying to imitate mother nature's seasons:D

The plants/buds will have purple to it also....mine does :thumbsup:

stoned88911
12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Flowering its ok to be in the 50s while in the dark...thats the same temp outside for fall weather at night.......we are trying to imitate mother nature's seasons:D

The plants/buds will have purple to it also....mine does :thumbsup:

Nice i want purple buds.

Sandm4n
12-04-2008, 10:33 PM
im wondering about this also as i currently have some plants going indoor but where it gets no heat except for from the lights. So far my temps have been any where from 28 to 80 but mostly in the 50s-60s. one thing i have noticed with this "cold" grow is i have gotten really thick stems and also lots of purple colors :hippy: but im worried about it getting colder!! i heard they dont really like it below 40 but can survive as long as their not frozen?? any thoughts guys?

Mississippi Steve
12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
for prolly $40 in parts and a little inginuity, you can build a control with a house hold thermostat, a relay and a transformer to turn the ventilation on and off as needed to maintain the desired temp.

Lanietheberner
12-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Get rid of the ventilation and try keep your temperatures above 60 deg F, otherwise you just will not see much in the way of growth below 60F. I'd get a thermostatic fan controller (about $30 at most grow shops) and connect it into your system (remove the glass from the ventilation hoods, if you haven't already as this will help).

This will be your biggest problem and I'd suggest running your lights during the night to off-set the temperature issues. I'd also get a small electric heater for the space during the off light period, and cut down on the cold air ventilation.

You will have some very nice color by the end.

GoddessHerb
12-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Coming from upstate NY (I just moved to the Bay Area in Cali in Nov. woohoo!! :hippy::smokin:) where it routinely gets well below freezing. I just kept the lights on during the coldest hours of the day (typically the night but not always) and that worked well for me. The plants will respond to the cold temps differently depending on the genetics in that particular plant. Plants of the correct genetic makeup will turn purple in response to cold temps but some also turn red, orange or gold. It's just like the leaves turning colors in the fall. Different trees turn different colors. If you're lucky enough to have the right genes you'll get purple leaves and/or flowers.

If you are growing a sativa based strain then cold temps may adversely effect them, although I personally have never had a problem (then again I never had my grow down to the 20's either). The colder temps will cause the plants to ripen faster as well since the plant it trying to reproduce before it dies. This may also cause a lower overall yield if it is in the 20's at night for the majority of the flowering period as was suggested plant growth slows significantly below 50F. Turning off the ventilation it not a very good solution because it decreases airflow and that is a limiting factor in plant production (food, light and water being the others). Without good airflow your plants will not get enough CO2 around them and this will also effect over all yields. I would agree with getting space heater in the area of your tent (not inside it unless absolutely no other option as this may dry the air too much). There were a few other really great suggestions (like getting a controller to turn the ventilation on and off to maintain a set temp for one). Good luck and I hope they don't freeze on you.

Blessed be~