View Full Version : need light advice

bigbudsmoker2k4
03-16-2004, 04:11 AM
hello can someone tell me weather two :confused: 8ft floro lights 60watts is
the right amount of light to grow about three plants
thanks

whitewidowman99
08-31-2010, 01:45 AM
A 8 foot streach of lights is at least enough lumens to veg 3 plants but most of the light will be wasted due to that 3 plants may take up 4 feet. So my suggestion is to go to a home depot and buy 2 cheap $10 duel 4 foot fixtures and 4, 4foot bulbs. and place the 2 fixtures next to eachother and put your 3 plants under these 4 bulbs. Get the cool white for vegging and the warm light variety for flowering.

to tell the truth the best is HPS...

happymedicine
08-31-2010, 02:32 AM
That is good advice. The 8ft lights are going to be wasting lumens due to their length and unused space. I have 6 plants vegging under 2 dual 4 foot fluoro lights. I used 2 GE Kitchen & Bath and 2 GE Plant and Aquarium (one of each bulb per 2 light fixture. This has given me incredible growth. About 3 inches per week from the time I transplanted. Just make sure to keep the lights anywhere from 2-7 inches from the tops. Closer is better, but do not let them touch or else the lights will burn the plants. You could also use Ge Daylight bulbs, instead of one of the other bulb types, to give more blue light during veg.

Also, making a little grow room with walls painted a flat white will help reflect as much light as possible. Just make sure you can easily move the lights upward as the plants grow, and that you give them enough air circulation and venting.
Hope this helps

happymedicine
08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
hello can someone tell me weather two :confused: 8ft floro lights 60watts is
the right amount of light to grow about three plants
thanks

However, I should also add that if you do not care about wasting lumens (ie do not want to go spend more money on lights), then the 8ft light will work fine. Maybe you could also plant an herb garden to take up the rest of the lights. Those come in handy normally.

I only added this because I did not want to make you think that you HAD TO go out and buy other lighting. For veg, what you have would be sufficient. It just may take longer and waste some electricity