PDA

View Full Version : Supervisor says county should grow and sell pot

Storm Crow
10-14-2008, 05:25 AM
This is one that didn't make it to AP, CNN or even on the net! (Can we say "censorship", boys and girls?) But I got the paper right in front of me, and good old Granny is going to type up the beginning and then "snip" it well after the last mention of cannabis. I would post a URL, but there isn't one as far as I can find!

Siskiyou Daily News
Published Friday, October 10, 2008 Vol. 148 No. 198

Supervisor says county should grow and sell pot

By Dale Andreasen
For the Daily News

Yreka- Supervisor Jim Cook thinks Siskiyou County should be in the business of growing marijuana and selling it at pharmacies.

His comment was made at Tuesday's board of supervisors meeting during a discussion about raising health department fees for services to cover more of the costs incurred by the county.

Terry Barber presented a proposed ordinance that would amend the county code regarding fees for county-provided personal health services.

Along with raising fees for vaccines, tuberculosis skin testing and travel immunizations, the health department is proposing a fee for medical marijuana identification cards.

Barber proposed the fee to be $75, while Supervisor Michael Kobseff suggested charging $300 for the marijuana I.D. card. Barber's plan calls for Medi-Cal recipients to pay one-half of the fee.

That's when Cook made his statement about the county growing the controversial herb.

"And, I've got a lot more to say about that subject," added Cook, although further comments were not forthcoming and he could not be reached by press time.

TB skin testing would be charged at $20 under Barber's proposal, while state-supplied vaccines would be provided for an administrative fee at the maximum amount allowed by the state.

All non-state-supplied vaccines would be provided at a charge of $20 plus the county's cost of the vaccine. Travel immunizations for typhoid and yellow fever would be charged at $35 plus the county's cost of the vaccines. (Snipped because the rest is BORING!)

Just in case you got a moment, you might send Mr. Cook a email or letter of appreciation - and maybe a link to "Granny Storm Crow's list" for me? This is way too close to home for me to do personally. It would cost me my job if it were known I am Granny! Calm and polite is the best tone, but let him know you agree whole-heartedly! :thumbsup:

Siskiyou County Supervisor - District 1 (http://www.co.siskiyou.ca.us/bos/bios/district1.htm)

8182KSKUSH
10-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Below is my email.

I just wanted to email you and say thank you for bringing this idea up. I just read a snip it of the article which I pasted below. Regardless of your political affiliation, you are courageous sir and I applaud you as do many many others. Thank you again. I donâ??t think that it will go anywhere due to the federal governments stance on cannabis, however it is crucial to have the dialog, and way too many people are too afraid to even do that. It does raise an interesting question though, whom would the DEA go after in that kind of a scenario? I think that you may be on to something here actually. Please feel free to correspond with me on this subject with further thoughts.
P.S.
That is one hell of a â??stash you got going their sir! Looks good on ya! ;)
Davy Denver

(No, Davy Denver is not my real name.);)

theforthdrive
11-09-2008, 02:16 AM
yeah, thanks granny! This would be a great way to challenge the DEA!

Sonoma County airport helps supplement airport costs by growing wine grapes under contract around and in between run ways. Ive heard of some cities back in Iowa that do the same thing with corn. I seems to me that the concept is there its just a matter of a county stepping up and taking the challenge. It will be interesting as Cali gets more and more broke. I would much rather see a field a green when I land than the 1.5c tax increase that the Govinator just implemented!

killerweed420
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I am not in favour of government making a profit on anything. Thats not there job. If they have land available to grow,subcontract to private industry and let them do it.

naturesmeds
11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Has anyone gotten a response from him?
I left Siskiyou county over a year ago, because it wasn't the right climate to be opening a dispensary.
The only dispensary there, charges too much for membership & gives FAR too little in return. (the emerald triangle isn't much better)

I'd be willing to return if,,,,,
oh well

Storm Crow
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Things haven't changed. The dispensary is closed down ( I agree with the assessment, though). I think Redding has the closest one now . (I grow my own, so I'm not looking.) The sheriff still says he will bust you if your 6 LEGAL mature MMJ plants even LOOK like they could produce 8 oz! :( One of these years sanity will return to the state of Jefferson!

Granny :hippy:

Revanche21
11-21-2008, 06:07 PM
was in the issue of high times :)

theforthdrive
11-22-2008, 11:08 PM
One of these years sanity will return to the state of Jefferson!

can you clarify this statement?

veggii
11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
ya! see when they figure a way too make themselves rich $$$$ then its ok for them too grow ,but i bet they won't let us grow our own, fuk that them greedy basterds

tokingfool
11-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Weed should be legal for everyone, medical legalization is a stepping stone for total legalization of the plant itself.

Why should people with medical problems be the only people who have the legal right to use weed? It is very hard for the government to regulate.

If the different world governments want to legalize MMJ they should follow Hollands example of clubs taxing ect. If its working there it can work anywhere!!!:thumbsup:

Storm Crow
11-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Just before WWII, there was a movement to create another state out of Northern California and part of Oregon. Southern California's needs and wants were quite different than Northern's. The concept of forming another state was only half-way a joke. The idea actually was gaining popularity when WWII broke out and everything was put on hold. For more on "The State of Jefferson"-

State of Jefferson (http://sisnet.ssku.k12.ca.us/~msusdftp/jones/ian/historypg1.html)

In spite of having one enlightened supervisor, Siskiyou county is years behind the rest of the state (as evidenced by the sheriff's attitude). The rest of the Supervisors see MMJ as purely a money maker for the county. They want to gouge as much as they can from the ill for the privilege of using a heaven-sent herb. That's what I mean by a lack of sanity here! Morality also seems to be a bit in short supply, too! :(

Granny :hippy: