PDA

View Full Version : Digital Pics Caution

killerweed420
09-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I want to make sure people are aware of posting digital pics. There is an awful lot of info included with a digital pic. Here is info of a pic on very popular thread.
Make - SONY
Model - DSLR-A100
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - QuickTime 7.5.5
DateTime - 2008:09:22 17:06:51
ExifOffset - 228
ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ExifVersion - 0220
DateTimeOriginal - 2008:09:22 16:51:54
DateTimeDigitized - 2008:09:22 16:51:54
BrightnessValue - 4
ExposureBiasValue - 0
MaxApertureValue - F 5.60
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
FocalLength - 35 mm
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 2592
ExifImageHeight - 3872
Now on this particular one the sewrial number of the camera is not included. But on some it is. If the registration number is displayed LEO can access that info from the camera manufacturers and find out who the camera is registered to.
Don't panic!!!! lol:toilet_claw:
There are simple programs out there that will remove that info from the file.

Markass
09-23-2008, 11:34 PM
If the government tracked me down by those means, I would ask where their warrant was for it, and gladly provide them with a copy of the fourth amendment. It's sad the way things are in this day and age, but I'm not going to change the way I live...and if the government needs to come after me for anything, so be it..I'm not going to let them scare me into following laws about their victim less crimes..

flyingimam
09-23-2008, 11:41 PM
useful tip. thanks

Jerry Garcia 2007
09-23-2008, 11:55 PM
What are these programs?

killerweed420
09-24-2008, 01:49 AM
There are some here.
remove exif software downloads and reviews - CNET Downloads (http://www.download.com/1770-2001_4-0.html?query=remove+exif&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads)
ANother easy way is to save the file as bmp and then resave it as jpeg. Thats why I like using irfanview. Its so easy to use.

Nightcrewman
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
If the powers that be want to track us down that badly, there are far easier ways than having to analyse pics from our digital cameras.

NCM

painretreat
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
A former Gov't agent and chief security guard for a company that makes military aircraft told me that little light in my satellite receiver has the capability of doing the same thing!!

I appreciate the knowledge as I am going to be getting a 'digital' camera when I break ground! PR :thumbsup:

NextLineIsMine
09-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I dont understand online paranoia, that would be a helluva lot of effort to not only find you online but find a judge who gave a shit enough but someone talking about the fact they use weed online.

If cops felt like busting someone they could cruise to any citys central park.

I assure you theres no reason to be worried people!

cygnustaxt
09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
If the government tracked me down by those means, I would ask where their warrant was for it, and gladly provide them with a copy of the fourth amendment. It's sad the way things are in this day and age, but I'm not going to change the way I live...and if the government needs to come after me for anything, so be it..I'm not going to let them scare me into following laws about their victim less crimes..

lol if they actually were after you for a serious offense, they'd probably ball up that copy of the fourth amendment and throw it in your face. They don't care about our rights. Cops are above the law, you didn't know that? hah

stinkyattic
09-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Another outstanding post on the subject may be found here:
International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums - I Know Where You Live... (http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=97155)

killerweed420
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Good link sticky.
I just wanted people to be aware that this is just another way for leos to gather intel on growers. Those that care use caution.

elskeetro
09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
FUCK! no kidding!

iPhone users...go to Settings>General>Location Services>OFF!

Pretty freaky stuff. Although, taken out of the growing context it's actually a lot of fun to key in the lat and long to see where it's at.

Pretty fortunate that most of my grow pics are taken with my SLR.

I checked through my (green) phone pics and none have the GPS tags (taken pre iPhone 1.1.4 update (the one that introduced 'my location')) But i was playing around just now taking pics and seeing how accurate it is. Luckily it's between .5 and 1.5 miles off.

remember when we had privacy? no? me neither...
Skeet.

seattlesmoke247
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Great info. Thank you.

Revanche21
10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
No need to be worried if you aren't doing anything illegal!

erm this must be the side effect called paranoia?:hippy: