PDA

View Full Version : afew interesting things about pregnancy

texas grass
09-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Breastfeeding cuts breast cancer risk
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:27:53 GMT
Scientists believe breastfeeding for at least six months can help reduce the risk of developing an aggressive form of breast cancer.

According to a study published in the Cancer, breastfeeding makes women less vulnerable to 'triple negative' breast cancer, an estrogen receptor-negative, progesterone receptor-negative and HER2-negative cancer considered as the most difficult-to-treat cancer.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer researchers believe the structure of breast cells change during breastfeeding, making them less susceptible to mutate and become cancers.

Findings showed that estrogen-sensitive (luminal) breast cancers are also 20 percent less common among women who breastfed for six months or more.

The study revealed that while early menarche, starting to menstruate before the age of 13, increases the HER2-positive breast cancer risk. Late menopause, after the age of 55, and estrogen-plus-progesterone hormone therapy are linked to estrogen-sensitive breast cancer.

Researchers concluded that because women do not menstruate while breastfeeding, they are exposed to fewer hormones, and are therefore at a lower risk of developing certain types of cancers.

PKH/HGH

C-section increases diabetes risk
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:54:22 GMT
British scientists have suggested that babies born by Caesarean section are at a 20 percent higher risk of developing type 1 diabetes.

According to a new study, the method by which a baby is delivered affects the rate of developing diabetes later in life.

The study revealed that the infant's first exposure to hospital-originating bacteria rather than to maternal bacteria during C-section, places them at a greater risk of developing diabetes.

Queen's University Belfast researchers concluded that increased C-section rate particularly because of women's desire to delay motherhood is responsible for the increased risk of type 1 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is a condition in which the body does not produce insulin, a hormone necessary for converting sugar into the energy needed for daily life. It is usually diagnosed in children and young adults.

PKH/HGH

Breastfeeding rate increases in Iran
Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:31:11 GMT
Iran's Health Minister has announced that the rate of breastfeeding has considerably increased in the country over the past two years.

Kamran Bagheri Lankarani said that new legislations on the six-month leave for mothers not only have provided the country with economic benefits but also with a reduced disease burden.

Experts urge mothers to breastfeed for six months, and continue breastfeeding in combination with appropriate complementary foods for up to two years.

Many studies have found that breastfeeding can provide babies with their nutritional needs in the first six months of their lives. It can also reduce the risk of developing diabetes and cancer by 20-60%, if continued for 2 years.

Because of its impact on the child's immune system, breastfeeding has been found to promote infantile growth and development, leading to a reduced rate of illnesses, especially respiratory and urinary tract infections, and diarrhea.

Breastfeeding boosts the mother's immune system, protects against maternal breast and ovarian cancers, delays pregnancy and helps save money, energy and time.

This year, the world Breastfeeding week is concurrent with the Beijing Olympic Games. The National Nutrition Agency (NaNA) plans to extend the weeklong event, themed ā??Mother support; Going FOR GOLDā?, for a month.

PKH/HGH
i posted this one to try and show how breastfeeding in a podunk country thats not completely developed is a great overall thing for health

Breastfeeding leads to brainy babies
Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:30:13 GMT
A gene explains why breast-fed kids are smarter.
The FADS2 gene boosts children's intelligence quotient by seven points if the infants are breastfed in the first few months of life.

New studies discovered a very common gene which leads children to have higher IQs if they are breastfed.

The particular version of FADS2 gene helps break down fatty acids from the diet, which have been linked with brain development.

The DNA samples revealed that 90 percent of the children have at least one version of FADS2 which yielded higher IQs if they were breastfed.

However breastfeeding has no effect on the 10 percent of children who do not have the common version of the gene.

A study has also shown that breastfed babies have a lower risk of developing heart disease and breastfeeding is linked with lower weight and higher 'good' cholesterol levels in adulthood.

NAT/BGH

Chronic Chrissy
09-07-2008, 03:21 AM
6 months is far too short to breastfeed babies IMHO. I t is so important and there are soman side effects from formula that develope later on in life that formula companies don't want you to know. I Breastfed my daughter for 11 months and was dissappointed when I had to quit for my own medical reasons. If I could I would have BF till at least her second birthday. Go ahead flame me, there are so many woman out there who know what I know and do extend their breastfeeding, or exclusively breast feed for a long time or even tandum Breast feed two children of different ages. There aren't only benmifits to the child but also the mother. It lowers her risk of developing certain cancers and triggeres natual releases of horomones to contract the uterus back into shape and to keep your body healthy and balanced after baby is born. Not to metion the weight you loose, and it keeps away the baby blues.

The biggest thing to remember when trying to first breastfeed is that it isdn't as easy your first time as you think it should be it takes a little practise to get things figured out. Babies are actually made in such a way that they can go their first three or so days with little nourishment and still survive. Don't give up and what ever you do don't ever give a breast fed baby a bottle before 6 months even once. Many babies experience "nipple confusion"(look it up), and find it easier to suck from a bottle than the breast and it can easily doom a breastfeeding relationship. Pacifiers too. Don't let doctors and relitives push you into things ever. they mean well but they truley were taught and brought up in a generation where the infoirmation about breastfeeding and babies was ver different and so much research has been done since then.

Also there evidence that links c-sections as a large factor in the development of add/adhd. You see when the baby passes through the birth canal the head and brain experience different pressure changes at different gradual time(think of scuba diving and returning to the surface). This allows the head and brain to slowly adapt to the "outside" pressure. During a c-section as soon as the uterus is hacked open the pressure immediadtly changes and the babies head in essence "pops" and expands all at once. Usless there is a medical reason c-sections are so unhealthy for both baby and mom.

Now get ready cause I'm sure this thread is about to get interesting!

flyingimam
09-07-2008, 03:42 AM
I was breastfed for like 2.5 - 3 years, thats more than all titties any1 can get in their first 15 years of life LMAO!

but hey, knock on wood, I have had my ankle stuck in a moving bicycle's rear wheel (with my friend riding it) @ age 8 and the wheel did a 3/4 of a cycle with my foot and ankle stuck in its wheel!!!!! my buddy told me later on that he felt something has gotten stuck between the wheel and the grill and looked back and saw me silently crying!

The doctors in ER were shocked how I didnt break a single bone... but it was a bad muscle injury, for like a year or so my body would make extra flesh that had to be painfully removed (yes using medical scissors @ home!) and disinfected once in a while!