PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever thought...?

dutchboy79
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Has anyone else ever thought that we - the entire universe - are nothing more than a speck of dust to something much larger? Have you ever been sitting in your house and the sun shines through your window at such an angle that illuminates all of the dust particles? Maybe this universe is nothing more than a dust particle. Just as some things are microscopic to us, why is it not possible that we are microscopic in scale to something else?

This is just something that crosses my mind sometimes. I'm new to this board and I thought I would share.

bhouncy
09-04-2008, 05:06 PM
It is possible but there are so many alternatives to choose from with different dimensions etc that until we find out I'm not going to think about it.

However I do slip sometimes and think about the possibility that we are in a computer simulation quite often. Does that mean when they switch the computer off that I no longer exist? Or am I another being who experiencing being human? It's fun to speculate but that is all it is. Ideas.

TurnyBright
09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
There is no objective measure of "size," it's all relative. In other words, you can only state something's size if you have another object with size to compare it against.

Esoteric416
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I've thought about that a whole bunch of times in different ways.
Ever consider the idea that the true reality is either super advanced technologicaly or nearly destroyed by a super advanced war and the denezins of that world escape the boredom/horror or their lives by playing a game where they live a life in this reality.
Think of the Matrix without the war against the machines part.

Also I've had the thought that our civilization is merely a science experiment for some kid from an alien race that is so advanced that we cant even really comprehend them.

It is fun to think about (especially while stoned), but it is mostly pointless unless you're wrighting a novel. So get to work cause hollywood is running out of fresh ideas :D

SFGurrilla
09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
We'll all find out wednesday what its all made of.

Coelho
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Has anyone else ever thought that we - the entire universe - are nothing more than a speck of dust to something much larger? Have you ever been sitting in your house and the sun shines through your window at such an angle that illuminates all of the dust particles? Maybe this universe is nothing more than a dust particle. Just as some things are microscopic to us, why is it not possible that we are microscopic in scale to something else?

This is just something that crosses my mind sometimes. I'm new to this board and I thought I would share.

Ive thought about it several times... and, while i think its perfectly possible, i also think we will never actually know for sure if its so... the same way as the millions of bacteria that live on the specks of dust cant possibly know that their "world" is only a speck of dust floating in the air (of a planet, that is also only a speck of cosmic dust floating in the universe, that can actually be a speck of dust floating in something else...)
The universe can be a fractal... in fact, much of it IS actually a fractal, with worlds inside worlds... so where this things inside things inside things end? If they actually end... :stoned:

Gandalf_The_Grey
09-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I've always thought that the universe is essentially infinite. I think that when many people demand it must end somewhere; it's more a matter of having difficulty conceptualizing infinity when our whole lives are based around physical limits.

That being said, this is how I think of the universe: we have planets revolving around a sun to make a solar system. We have solar systems making up galaxies, galaxies making up clusters, and all those galactic clusters make up our universe. But the "universe" would have to be a cluster in itself. And if space is infinite, then there should be infinitely-creating universes elsewhere at a distance from ours roughly proportionate to our distances between galaxies.
For instance if our universe is made of 500 billion galaxies, and thereby 500 billion times the size of a galaxy in matter (bleh, I'm too stoned to calculate for dark matter right now), then the distance between "universes" would be 500 billion times farther than the average distance between galaxies. Or maybe it's just billions of times further than that even, who knows.

But anywhoo, the point I'm getting at here is there could be different universes with entirely different laws and aspects, and it wouldn't have to be in another dimension at all; just very far away! There's no saying that distant universes will be born by the exact same catalyst, and thereby taking the same form.
Of course now that I think of it, these far-away universes would probably be accessible via dimensional folds in the overal fabric of reality; seeing as quantum theory seems to be pointing toward the abolishment of distance/space between matter at the sub-atomic level.

Sorry to ramble, I'm having a great high for the second day after being 4 months without any weed. :stoned:

inbud
09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Unlimited Possible Realities is the reason i read sifi so much...started way back when with "Horton Hears a Who".

Stoner Shadow Wolf
09-09-2008, 11:05 PM
dude... infinity... a speck of dust is nothing! it's an endless spiral of building blocks of larger things. we are the subatomic particle waves of something tremendously larger.... AND SO IS IT! that tremendously larger thing is but a subatomic particle wave of something tremendously larger than itself, making us NONEXISTANT!

likewise, we are the tremendously larger thing to our own subatomic particle waves.

Acouwaila
09-10-2008, 11:27 PM
i like the way u think shadow wolf...we are 1

higher4hockey
09-10-2008, 11:48 PM

i have thought that as well, ive also wondered what a 400 lb racoon would be like, how ketchup is like a toyato camry, how strange vision is, how arrogant and evil cats are, and many other random ass thoughts...

its amazing what sitting on a tractor for hours will do to your thought process.

Nightcrewman
09-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Take a little bug or some small creature living hundreds of feet down a cave or somewhere similar or one of those little sea creatures that live miles down on the bottom of the sea, it is a fair assumption that they know nothing of us, of our lifestyles science art culture television cancer aeroplanes etc etc so I do not see how there cannot be the possibility that we do not know of a much more advanced species than us.
Hope that all made sense. after all the universe is a big place we might be no more than a school project experiment for an advanced beings science class.

Cheers

NCM