PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Senate to Vote on Medical Cannabis!

veggii
08-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Illinois Senate to Vote on Medical Cannabis!
Tell Your Senator to Support SB 2865!

NORML is pleased to announce that the Illinois Senate is now considering SB 2865, and will likely be voting on the measure in the near future. Please contact your state Senator and urge him or her to support this important legislation.

SB 2865 will help to ensure that medical marijuana patients in Illinois will no longer have to fear arrest or prosecution from state law enforcement. However, these bills will only receive serious consideration if your elected officials hear an unmistakable message of support from their constituents.

Currently, twelve states -- Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington - have enacted laws protecting medical marijuana patients from state prosecution. Patients in these twelve states enjoy legal protections to use medicinal marijuana under a doctor's supervision; seriously ill Illinois citizens deserve this same protection.

Please take two minutes of your time today to contact your state Senator and tell them to support medical marijuana. Because a Senate vote is now likely, it is especially important that he or she hears from you.

Thank you for your support of NORML and our efforts to enact medical marijuana reform in Illinois.

Take Action know!

original link here:
Contact Officials - NORML (http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=11331121&type=ST)

the image reaper
08-31-2008, 04:13 PM
good post, Veggii :thumbsup: ... it will take a LOT of letters and phone calls out there, my home state of Illinois will be a tough nut to crack :mad:

Its a Plant
08-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info I'll be sure to do my part. Nice to see change may not be so far away though for such a tough state. :jointsmile:

illnillinois
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
mak'n the call

veggii
09-08-2008, 05:51 AM
illnill you cast your vote yet? how many people did you get too go vote with you? step it up get your state legal :thumbsup:
and you won't need to move too cali :jointsmile:

trueblu8
09-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Nice! I did not know about this, thanks veggii.

Locally, 67 percent of Illinois citizens support allowing â??people with cancer, MS, AIDS and other serious diseases to use and grow their own marijuana for medical purposes as long as their physician approves."

That's a good sign. I really hope this gets passed.

Storm Crow
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm talking to those of you who have read this and done NOTHING! Are you aware that 100,000,000 Americans have used cannabis? That's about 1/3 of the population! (And those are the ones who admitted it! ;) )

What would happen if every cannabis user in Illinois made the call, sent an email (perhaps with a link to "Granny's list" :D ) and voted? :thumbsup:

The American Revolution stated with 13 rebellious states. We got 12. Think about it.

Granny :hippy:

flyingimam
09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I can have no direct impact on this, but certainly crossing my fingers for it.

added to prayer/meditation list!

trancefusion5
09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Please take two minutes of your time today to contact your state Senator and tell them to support medical marijuana. Because a Senate vote is now likely, it is especially important that he or she hears from you.

original link here:
Contact Officials - NORML (http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=11331121&type=ST)

So can I still do this even if I dont live in IL? Ill do it, just dont want to look stupid... or is that to late? :jointsmile:

trueblu8
09-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Nice, thanks for the list Granny. I really enjoyed the opening story as well. I have suffered from migraines ever since I was a little kid. My medicine cabinet is stocked with Excedrin, and my freezer with ice packs. I have never thought to use mj for my migraines, probably because it is not socially acceptable. My mother also swears that I have ADD. God I cannot wait to email your list to her, maybe it will open up her eyes a little bit. She like everyone else has been brainwashed into thinking that mj is only for stupid, lazy stoners who never accomplish anything in life. I hope she will be open to it just as she is to many other alternative medicines. She is always pressuring me to eat flax seed, and take L-glutamine powder, lol. She has been a registered pharmacist for over 30 years, and is also a licensed naperpath (sp?), and masseuse. I think she would be a great advocate for the cause. If only I could convince her.

Markass
09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't know much about the illinois senate, but I do know that the chances of legislators putting this into law are slim to none...

It's a lot better in the hands of the citizens..those free from finances compliments of the pharmaceutical industry..

trueblu8
09-09-2008, 12:05 AM
How did they do it in all of the other states? Why would it be so hard in Illinois?

veggii
09-09-2008, 03:22 AM
How did they do it in all of the other states? Why would it be so hard in Illinois?

States have made laws by voting , google Illinois Hemp Laws :thumbsup:

veggii
09-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Illinois MEDICAL MARIJUANA PILOT PROGRM

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for SB2865 (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2865&GAID=9&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=37610&SessionID=51&GA=95#actions)

Synopsis As Introduced
Creates the Alternative Treatment for Serious Diseases Causing Chronic Pain and Debilitating Conditions Act. Provides that when a person has been diagnosed by a physician as having a debilitating medical condition, the person and the person's primary caregiver may be issued a registry identification card by the Department of Public Health that permits the person or the person's primary caregiver to legally possess no more than 12 cannabis plants and 2.5 ounces of usable cannabis. Amends the Cannabis Control Act to make conforming changes. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Effective immediately.

Senate Committee Amendment No. 1
Provides that a qualified patient shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution or penalty in any manner for the possession of or the medical use of marijuana if the quantity of marijuana does not exceed an adequate supply (no more than 8 plants and two and one-half ounces of usable marijuana or such other amount as the Department of Public Health establishes by rule). Provides that a qualified patient's primary caregiver shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution or penalty in any manner for the possession of marijuana for medical use by the qualified patient if the quantity of marijuana does not exceed an adequate supply. Provides that by July 1, 2009, the Department of Public Health shall adopt rules defining the quantity of marijuana that could reasonably be presumed to be a 60-day supply for qualifying patients. Provides that this presumption may be overcome with evidence of a qualifying patient's necessary medical use.

Senate Floor Amendment No. 2
Adds reference to:
720 ILCS 550/11 rep.
720 ILCS 550/15 rep.

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the provisions of the bill as amended. Changes the name of the Act to the Compassionate Use of Medical Marijuana Pilot Program Act. Provides that the Department of Public Health shall issue registry identification cards to up to 1,2000 qualifying patients. Provides that the Act is repealed 3 years after its effective date. Provides that the maximum plants that may be possessed are 7 dried plants. Repeals the research provisions of the Cannabis Control Act. Effective immediately.

Senate Floor Amendment No. 3
Makes technical corrections to the bill. Also provides that the production or possession of between 20 and 50 cannabis plants in violation of the Compassionate Use of Medical Marijuana Pilot Program Act is a Class 2 felony.

Contact Officials - NORML (http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=11331121)

Markass
09-09-2008, 06:33 AM

the vast majority of the states have had initiatives pushed by gaining a certain percentage of signatures from voters in the state...Once those are verified it's put on ballot...Michigan will be voting this year..and I wanna believe there's a couple more as well..

trueblu8
09-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Ahhh... that's what I wanted to know. So basically, if this doesn't get passed in the senate, somebody, or a group of people would have to get their asses out there and get a bunch of signatures of registered voters for it to be put on a ballot?

And if that's the case, why don't they just get enough signatures to make it completely legal for responsible adults over a certain age, just like alcohol, and tobacco?

Why is it not legal, when it's a proven fact that alcohol and tobacco are SO much more harmful to the human body? Gateway drug my ass, alcohol is the REAL gateway drug. I think Joe Rogan said it best though, "Who knows how to make alcohol, or cigarettes? I sure don't". Cannabis is a plant, anybody can grow it, there is no way they could regulate it with out invading the privacy of everyone's homes. Maybe it's not legal because they couldn't figure out a way to make money off of it. The liquor and tobacco industries would stand to lose billions if it were made legal. But I have a feeling that's just part of the story, and that there's much more to it than that.

trueblu8
09-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Well I'm sure there are many reasons why cannabis is illegal. Many having to do with money, and the power of the pharmaceutical companies. But I believe I have found the MAIN reason. Check out this link (http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html). Watch the video at the bottom of the page and listen to what the guy has to say at 4:13. I think this is finally changing though, and that people are beginning to open up to new possibilities.

trueblu8
09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
On a lighter note, look at this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=YJRg5fGN-sQ) of Arnold. You gotta love this guy, lol.

trueblu8
09-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Well I guess my mom's outta the picture for helping with anything when it comes to cannabis. I just got a phone call from her, she was all hysterical, and asked me, aren't graffiti writers the ones who smoke mj? Turns out her garage had just been graffiitied, she was all pissed off, and called to tell me about it. I told her yeah sure, but there are also doctors and lawyers who smoke it. It's just like alcohol, there are responsible, upstanding pillars of the community that do it, and there are irresponsible people that do it. She then proceeded to tell me never to talk to her about mj ever again and hung up the phone. I was really disappointed to find out just how brainwashed and narrow minded she has become. People are going to have their opinions about certain things and there's not much we can do about it. It will take the next younger generation, to get into power who are more open minded towards such things for us to see a change.

Storm Crow
09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I think you should start on Mom with the "nutrition section" of the list. Hemp seed has a better balance of Omegas than flax. If she wants you eating flax seed, tell her this is one better! :thumbsup: There is NO THC and it is absolutely legal! I buy mine from the local health food store. There was a recent news article that said hemp seed will not even give you a positive on a drug test- you get to find it- I'm being lazy today!

She's pissed right now (and therefore, a bit irrational), so let her chill a bit. Then show her the hemp seed articles. Start small and work up to giving her a real education.

Step two, cannabis apparently DOES HAVE naturopathic uses! Dude, go google it! I found it listed for dysmennorhea (sp?) and preventing miscarriage at the very least- not that you'll have those! You'll have to do some "digging", but a few naturopathic articles showing the uses of cannabis might shake her cage a bit! lol Look for older articles- pre prohibition, if possible. Less biased.
Try here for a start - Site Search - HealthWorld Online - HealthWorld Online (http://www.healthy.net/search/HealthySearchResult.asp?cx=012629307392664619338%3 Asxlgiutbo78&cof=FORID%3A11&q=cannabis&sa.x=11&sa.y=14#1155)

Step 3- the list! :D

Granny :hippy:

DiscoLies
09-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Omgahhh. Illinois is my hometoooown. It would be awesome if they passed that bill. I'm going to tell my friends to vote there.

8182KSKUSH
09-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Omgahhh. Illinois is my hometoooown. It would be awesome if they passed that bill. I'm going to tell my friends to vote there.

I thought it was a state? WTF?:wtf:

DiscoLies
09-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I thought it was a state? WTF?:wtf:

It is a state. Maybe I should've said homestaaaaaaaaaaaaate. ;)