PDA

View Full Version : legality of weighing device

allrollsin21
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
This is a difficult question.
I am a Medicinal user and caregiver. I do not sell Cannabis. I have a scale which is used to insure i am not over the allowed guidelines in my county. Is this against any law? Or more importantly is this reasonable cause to have my medicine taken from me?
It seems LEO could spin it into me being a dealer, but how the hell else am i supposed to know after harvest, if i am within the allowable limits?

the image reaper
08-28-2008, 09:35 PM
it's perfectly legal for you to own and possess a weighing device, BUT you could be accused of being a drug dealer just because you have it ... like anything else, it's how desperate the cop is for evidence, and how much you care to spend on lawyers ... in all likelihood, it would be a petty misdemeanor tacked on with more serious charges, just to be dropped in a plea-bargain situation ... (short version: don't sweat it) ... and, don't deal drugs :smokin:

illnillinois
08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
it's perfectly legal for you to own and possess a weighing device, BUT you could be accused of being a drug dealer just because you have it ... like anything else, it's how desperate the cop is for evidence, and how much you care to spend on lawyers ... in all likelihood, it would be a petty misdemeanor tacked on with more serious charges, just to be dropped in a plea-bargain situation ... (short version: don't sweat it) ... and, don't deal drugs :smokin:

like what IMR said, They are legal, just sometimes can be used as a lever to compile charges..

Like Visine is legal, a lighter is legal. Throw weed in to the mix and you have a para.. charge. Not in all states just the ones who choose to act in that manner

west coast style
08-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah, just don't be stupid and have a crap load of those small baggies that street dealers use.

I've been caught with my scale on more than one occasion, and I've used the same excuse: so I know I don't get shorted by people (this was prior to me getting my doctor's rec for MMJ). And the cops let me keep it.

kasp420
08-29-2008, 04:38 AM
scales plus multiple dope baggies (filled or empty) and any amount of bud or other drug equals a posssesion with intent to sell charge, period and chances are unless you pay for a lawyer they'll make it stick too, so remember do not save empty bags and if you sell use the plastic from shopping bags and keep your shopping bags in the kitchen away from scale or any parephanalia and the " I need to make sure I get what I pay for"excuse will work everytime!

Unknownfigure
08-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Perfectly legal to own a scale... you could even say that you are dieting and even weigh your food for perfect portions.

killerweed420
08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I like to keep mine with my cooking utensils. That way if my fast ass is ever drug into court you attorney can ask the arresting officer where it was found and why would a scale be with cooking utensils. Because I cook with it dumb ass.

allrollsin21
08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for chiming in folks. It is a STICKY situation. On the one hand it is completely legal, and on the other the renegade cops that have nothing else will happily take your meds and throw you in jail and let the courts and expensive lawyers sort it out. Disregard for the rights of citizens.

I still dont understand how i would know if i was over the limit set out by my counties district attorney if i had no scale. Certainly we would not want to take a chance as far as the law is concerned. We are Law abiding citizens darn it:thumbsup:

mymeds215
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Legal Referrals (http://canorml.org/laws/lc.html)
Now its Risk Management which some of us are good at while other's don't understand.
Scale put's risk of meds seizure and arrest up a good 50%+ so is it worth it..

At this point patient,caregiver, or anyone else..put any money you got where your mouth is...take the 5th and now we realize who is there and who isn't.