PDA

View Full Version : need help from ppl who know computers

JRAD
08-23-2008, 08:02 AM
alrighty i was playing WoW on my pc.Then when i was in a battle mi pc shutoff by itself so i turned it back on and mi pc went to mi pc login in then it shut off know it wont turn on when i press the power button mi fans move alittle and mi light flashs and thats it......I have no clue whats wrong with it any advice on how to fix would be great thx.......

PeAcE

flyingimam
08-23-2008, 08:08 AM
u must check all connections inside the case if u have the experience to do so, it could be a lose connection

OR it can be other and more serious matters like an overheated cpu or ram or even heat damage on MB/bios

i doubt a video card damage can result in such a thing,

but all in all since u say it DOES go to your windows login page i suspect a failed /failing fan on cpu... most systems have an automatic setup that tells them to restart/shut off pc @ a certain temperature on cpu and in such case u should take it for repairs or if u r familiar and experienced in handling components inside of your pc, u may analyze your cpu and its fan. same thing can happen with video card chip and/or bios on certain mobos

for a very slight chance it could be a virus as well, with information u provided and with me sitting far away from your pc i cant really establish a cause but tell u what i know could have caused this to best of my knowledge

* none of this info is guaranteed, act @ your own risk- this only comes from me being a savvy pc user since age 8 and f-ing around with different pcs all this time *

JRAD
08-23-2008, 08:30 AM
well....know mi computer wont even start up when i push thee on button the fan moves onces and thats it mi lights insidde mi pc flash for a sec then they go dead wtf is up lol think its time for a newone

Delta9 UK
09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Unplug the power and then press the "Power on" button on your PC - it won't switch on, obviously - but if it has an interanl capacitor this should empty it.

Then plug the power back in and fire it up properly. Fingers crossed :)

psychocat
09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
When did you last clean the inside of your PC ?
It may seem an unimportant question but you would be suprised how many PC crashes are caused by dust and dirt blocking cooling vents and fans.

flyingimam
09-06-2008, 07:14 AM
the above 2 comments regarding dust will be extremely important if u smoke weed around your computer... that shit will make your computer look like a 50 year old abandoned house, full of gray n sticky dust.

I clean mine with the mentioned air sprays once in a while, but sometimes i have had to go beyond that and actually open up my fan casings and my power supply and use some alcohol n stuff to clean it up...

epilepticme
09-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Check if the power supply is really hot, you need to always be sure your fans and such are clear of dust. Buy that air in a can shit from wal mart, it works good. :stoned:

My first guess would be the power supply.

Next stop Motherboard.

daihashi
09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Had the same problem.. for me it ended up being the power supply.. and in turn it wiped out my motherboard. I replaced them both and all was fine.

Got a high quality Antec Power supply to try to avoid this in the future.

WWidow
10-07-2008, 04:47 AM
u must check all connections inside the case if u have the experience to do so, it could be a lose connection

OR it can be other and more serious matters like an overheated cpu or ram or even heat damage on MB/bios

i doubt a video card damage can result in such a thing,

but all in all since u say it DOES go to your windows login page i suspect a failed /failing fan on cpu... most systems have an automatic setup that tells them to restart/shut off pc @ a certain temperature on cpu and in such case u should take it for repairs or if u r familiar and experienced in handling components inside of your pc, u may analyze your cpu and its fan. same thing can happen with video card chip and/or bios on certain mobos

for a very slight chance it could be a virus as well, with information u provided and with me sitting far away from your pc i cant really establish a cause but tell u what i know could have caused this to best of my knowledge

* none of this info is guaranteed, act @ your own risk- this only comes from me being a savvy pc user since age 8 and f-ing around with different pcs all this time *

Good info, doubt it's a CPU overheating problem, it will usually go to a screen with an error for that, if the fans are still turning on, then it's even more highly doubtful, unless of course the fan over the CPU is not working at all. Dust usually is a major issue at times, also a virus could be a problem, but unless he gets an error code, or something along those lines, their is really nothing we can do from our end. Give more details, i.e., Brand, cpu type (dual core), age of pc, desktop, laptop, windows, linux, video card you are using, etc .. Can u hear the hard drive spinning when you start it up?

headshake
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
My first guess would be the power supply.

Next stop Motherboard.

start here. don't waste your time. it's almost certainly not a virus. most virii are written to replicate themselves and spread. they gather information or use your computer to spam or help DoS attacks and what have you, not to damage your computer, not that it's not possible.

WWidow, just because the fans will spin for a sec doesn't necessarily mean that they work. and like you stated it might be the processor cooling fan. but it's unlikely. the thermal paste (or pad) that resides between your cpu and cooler could need replaced. it's not that hard. if it was a cooling problem the computer would more than likely turn on and run for a minute before the system cuts off for safety (yours and your components).

so JRAD, start with the power supply. this could of also killed the motherboard like daihashi said. it could have killed any components attached to your motherboard for that matter.

is your computer custom build or did you buy/order it from an OEM? if it's OEM and still under warranty contact them for repair/replacement. if it's custom or the warranty is up you can troubleshoot this yourself pretty easily if you know what you are doing. if not, take it to somebody, or if it's a really old computer it might be time to think about upgrading. the cost for the parts (old parts can be pricey, they stop manufacturing them so supply and demand) and the repair (if you can't do it yourself) might be close to or more than the cost of a new rig.

you can buy a power supply tester (usually inexpensive and good to have for cases like this) or you can just go buy a power supply from somewhere (make sure you can return it without a restocking fee) and swap it with your current one. if you've upgraded any components, especially cpu/video card/added hard drives/or disc drives you might need to upgrade the output of your power supply.

if that doesn't work then you can get a new motherboard too. most places won't take this back without a restocking fee.

it is possible that it is a stick of ram, i've seen stranger. you can google for memtest86, download and burn it. use it according to the instructions. this will run a battery of tests on you memory and let you know that they are both ok. if you can't figure out how to do that you can pull one stick (assuming you have more) and try your system again, if it doesn't work, swap the sticks and try again.

one of those should fix your problem. if not post back with as much information as possible and i'm sure one of these smart people around here can help you resolve your issue.

hope this helps.

-shake

Revanche21
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
always make sure theres no dust build up in your PC!

can cause overheating and PC death!

headshake
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
always make sure theres no dust build up in your PC!

can cause overheating and PC death!

right. i forgot to mention that. it can cause your system to overheat, clog and burn out your fans and can lead to shorts on your components!

-shake

bhouncy
10-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I was playing COD 4 and my computer would switch off without shutting down. Happened a couple of times until I tried it the next day and the same happened but then my computer wouldn't switch on. I checked the power supply and it was red hot. Took the PSU to a tech shop and they checked it was dead. The guy said that the PSU I had could handle the power but not the current and I needed a better model for my two GPUs.

Got the new PSU and it runs ice cold no matter how long I play COD for.

Happy days.

seattlesmoke247
10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Power supply as aforementioned.