PDA

View Full Version : CA: DEA letter targets medical marijuana

Psycho4Bud
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
A threat from federal drug officials is forcing El Dorado County??s medical-marijuana clinic to lease a new headquarters.

The Medical Marijuana Caregivers Association of El Dorado County previously leased from a landlord who received written notice recently from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. The notice said the agency had discovered the lease agreement between the caregivers association and the landlord, and warned the arrangement violated federal drug law.

Matt Vaughn, director of the local caregiver association, said budget matters are forcing a move at the same time the DEA letter is, so it could be worse.

??The consequences are minimal for us, but in general, if they did get a DEA letter, it??s going to cost a landlord a good renter,? Vaughn said.

In 2007, the agency began warning landlords, all of them in southern California.

??The goal is advice,? said Special Agent Sarah Pullen. ??The Los Angeles field office sent out nearly 200 letters.?

In bold-face type, the letters warned landlords that California??s 10-year-old Compassionate Use Act legalizing use of medical pot did not protect them from federal law criminalizing the providing of space for distributing any drug named on the federal Controlled Substances List.

??Violation of this law is a felony crime, and carries with it a penalty of up to 20 years in prison,? the letters said. ??In addition, federal law allows for the seizure of assets, including real property, which have been used in conjunction with the distribution of controlled substances.?

Soon, the notice program expanded to northern California.

??The DEA San Francisco Office sent out approximately 50 letters to property owners,? said Special Agent Casey McEnry..

The DEA does not recognize California??s voter-approved legalization of medical marijuana. Pullen said the DEA is out to shut down all California med-pot dispensaries by any legal means necessary.

??There are hundreds of them in L.A.,? she said. ??Our resources are limited. We use them as we can.?

She declined to provide a cost estimate for the letter-writing program.
DEA letter targets medical marijuana - El Dorado Hills (http://www.edhtelegraph.com/detail/91102.html)

Unreal!:mad:

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

Markass
08-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I wonder how much of the DEA's budget comes in from the pharmaceutical industry...

killerweed420
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I hope when the dems get in power they put an end to this stupidity. I wish they would just scrap the DEA. They are of no use.

jusbrowsin
08-21-2008, 12:01 AM
You hit the nail on the head with the pharma comment..they are so powerful and contibute huge amounts of cash to fund anything that keeps us hooked on their ineffective and expensive drugs. I was diagnosed with anxiety and ADHD and the meds they had me on made me extremely dizzy and cost $600 per month. I have started a small closet grow to combat my mental stress issues and marijuana is like a miracle drug for me. It really eliminates my ADHD symptoms, allowing me to fully concentrate.
I love my country, but not the political system that pushes alcohol and tobacco. So much misinformation is spread and if you try to promote the medical usage you are labeled a "stoner". I hope we get Obama in there to try to make some changes in our antiquated laws, but I am a pessimist because I realize how difficult to dislodge the pharma lobbiests and their unending cash flow. jusbrowsin

KillerDemo
08-21-2008, 05:43 AM
DEA and big medicine companys = best friends

painretreat
08-21-2008, 06:10 AM
DEA and big medicine companys = best friends

California has no money and won't fight anything. Hence, Dave Letterman shows video's of our governor smoking pot in speedo's! So, that is why the fed's are here, my :twocents::twocents: since, someone mention inflation!

DEA & METF:upsidedow (Marijuana Eradication Task Force) have been extremely busy in CA: The local newspaper: Daily Press-Victorville on Aug. 19 has an article citing several fields of weed in San Bernardino County. Last one was $20 million worth, previous 2 over past couple weeks only half as much.
Federal charge of weapons violation also, for the 2 that were actually caught camping in the field tending the crops!

I thought the E stood for Education as I read it!

That on the heels of what they did in Humboldt:wtf:

I would like to think some of those plants or all were for medical use! I don't care how cheap they grow, if it is! :rastasmoke: