PDA

View Full Version : My people, can we get together?

Esoteric416
08-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Ok so this might be a bit of a spirituality postulation, but the implications are more bent toward the scientific.

If the human species could work together what could we acomplish and how long would these things take?
What I mean is that if the whole planet somehow became united tomorow (the exact means are beside the point) what things would we achieve to further our species? How long till we could colonize mars for example? 1 year 2? what do you all think? What other endeavors would we take on?

A few ideas:
Cancer - under control insede of 5 years, a thing of the past within 10
Fusion power plants - operational within 10 years, perfected within 20.
True AI - achievable if we so choose within 2 or 3 years.
Settlement of key bodies within the solar system - 10 years for some of the closer planetary bodies, 20-25 for some of the farther ones.

I'm interested to see some of your responses.
Get blazed and ponder it. :jointsmile:

Gandalf_The_Grey
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
It would sure help not spending hundreds of billions of dollars every year on wars. It's amazing really; all these problems that need so much work and attention, all these government programs (highways, education, healthcare) that are grossly under-funded while we throw another few hundred billion around to blow the shit out of each other. War is the most counter-productive and wasteful human activity, but fanatics on both sides and every other side always think their personal lunatic agendas are more important the amazing things we could accomplish if we just set those aside.

Actually being "united" is kind of a hard thing to define though. For instance the nations might stop warring, the people might stop fighting with each other, but what if the governments are still screwing us over behind closed doors, as always? Some of the biggest fall-backs and progress-delays are due to the stuff that conventional media and politicians won't even discuss: a bunk monetary system based on exponentially-increasing debt and resource exhaustion as the only means for a sustainable economy. A privately-owned federal reserve in the world's economic center (nation-wise) that continues to devalue the US dollar and ruin the economy. The European Union who's laws and executive powers are created and upheld by the European Commision, an appointed (rather than elected) body representing and dictating to the whole EU with no public accountability. Then you have organized crime, of course.

Also, what form would a united planet take? Who's moral and ethical standards would we go by; the muslims who's attitudes about sexuality make queen Victoria look like Hugh Hefner? The united states who think us "dope-friends" belong in prison? The Chinese government who believes state interest should be put before public interest at all times, to the point of total suppression of any public discord?

'Twould be wonderful if the whole Earth could be united, but united under whom? 'Twould also be a terrible thing if united under an oppressive ideology. Before the Earth can unite, we'll all have to agree on a common morality, and I can't say I see that happening any time soon.

GreenDestiny
08-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Gandalf, you've obviously thought about it a lot. A common morality, you're right. That's the shit that would determine how we as a people would progress.

I love all the unique things that come from different cultures such as art, philosophy, music, food, clothing, etc. But when it comes down to morality (which is usually based on religion) I absolutely hate almost every culture on this planet. They all think they're right and everyone else is wrong, and will go to great lengths to enslave as much of the world under their system of control.

I decide for myself what is right and wrong, I don't follow the indoctrinated morals of any culture, and I strive to work towards the betterment of our species as a whole. Greed, power, and control are things that do not motivate me. If everyone could just see beyond their self-righteous beliefs we could find common ground to unite. Our survival, health and happiness with our lives and environment comes first.

I'm doing my part by not participating in the current system. There's no choice on those ballots to vote for a new economic system or government. I'm just taking the passive route towards revolution; I don't wanna fight for anything. If we have to fight for anything at all, then something is still wrong. right?

Esoteric416
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Hmmmmm, what morality you ask? How about MY morality! (insert maniacle laughter here)

Seriously though that is a good question. I guess i was envisioning something simple like a "golden rule" type of basic morality. The idea is that everyone would be united with the shared idea that by helping everyone we help ourselves and by helping only ourselves we ultimately help no one.
Maybe thats too simple in such a complex world but i still like thinking about what we could achieve if we all put aside our petty bullshit.

painretreat
08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I have always pondered that, as I watch ants work. The problem is: too many people want to sit and discuss 'how to do the job'. By the time that is over, so is my energy and desire to do it! The ants, they just do as they are told.

Somehow, I think, the pyramids, stonehenge and all kinds of things are examples of things that are done during peace and without modern science and religion.

More would be accomplished and faster. Like Habitat for Humanity, it works on a system sort of like that, on a small scale.

My other thought; Oops, already lost it! Oh, ' Money is the root of all evil!" pr

JohnnyZ
04-10-2010, 08:18 PM
This plant we all love is the uniting factor. Hemp can solve a lot of problems.

The healing of nations.

Imagine if instead of shooting insurgents, we puffed them down. "Here, Al-Jaz, the next bong rip is yours bro."

It hit me the other day when I was looking at the ingredient list on a box of crackers. Thirty-eight ingredients. Are you fucking serious? I cooked a nice curry chicken dinner that night that had 10 ingredients total, including all spices and different veggies in the salad.

We created new types of fat for fucks sake. New types of cancer. Imagine if those scientists who have in effect been killing people would have been working on a cure for cancer..

I understand there are billions of dollars going towards cancer research and I am not knocking it. I am merely stating the fact that what we are doing is a double whammy.. we are wasting scientists and while wasting them, having them create new diseases.

Stoner Shadow Wolf
05-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Let's all, us stoners, organize and start a nomadic culture, in tribute to our relatives and soon to be ancestors of the '60's and '70's.

Keep the PEOPLE alive.

Anyone got a bus?