PDA

View Full Version : Anti-marijuana lobbyist finds the truth

epilepticme
08-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Anti-marijuana lobbyist finds the truth

The last time the House debated medical marijuana, David Krahl trod the halls of Capitol Hill lobbying against the legislation as deputy director of the Drug Free America Foundation.

Now, he??s ready to lobby for allowing medicinal use of marijuana, and do anything he can to support it.

So far, no one has asked him for help, but in a recent letter to medical marijuana bill sponsor Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-N.Y.), he proclaimed that he??d reversed his position on whether cannabis can be a medicine.

??I??m saying, ??Here I am, an individual who had one point of view, and now I have a different one,?? ? Krahl said in an interview.
Krahl left the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based foundation in October, and has returned to teaching. He declined to name the college where he is teaching, but said the topic is ??drugs, deviance and crime.?

??Being away from the Drug Free America Foundation allowed me an opportunity to take a fresh look at the issue,? Krahl said. ??I don??t have skin in the game anymore.?

He had joined the foundation in July 2006. At the time, the foundation??s executive director, Calvina Fay, noted his 25 years of experience in criminal justice and human services and said, ??His anti-drug philosophies, along with his experience, will be a great fit.?

Krahl had previously been a grants manager for the YMCA.

??When I joined that group the question of medical marijuana was not entirely settled,? Krahl said. ??I was looking at it from the issue of ??does it have a medical benefit??? There??s evidence both ways.?

His letter to Hinchey lays out seven points that revolve around states?? rights to regulate marijuana and the physician-patient relationship.

??In our nation today, we need less interference by the federal government on any issue such as this,? Krahl wrote.

Foundation officials were caught off guard by Krahl??s reversal, saying they hadn??t heard of the letter until a reporter called about it. But they said they??re happy that lawmakers still aren??t trying to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes.

??I don??t believe one person changing their position gives any credibility to the other side on this,? said foundation spokesman John Pastuovic.

A medical marijuana measure likely won??t come up in this session, because it would be an amendment to the Commerce-State-Justice Appropriations bill and Democratic leaders have all but junked the appropriations process for the year.

TheHill.com (http://thehill.com)
Anti-marijuana lobbyist finds the truth | United States | Cannabis News (http://cannazine.co.uk/cannabis-news/united-states/anti-marijuana-lobbyist-see-s-the-light.html)

Storm Crow
08-17-2008, 07:01 PM
"I don??t believe one person changing their position gives any credibility to the other side on this,? said foundation spokesman John Pastuovic."

Yet I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that if a pro-MMJ activist changed his mind, they would be "crowing loudly" about it and it would be front page news!

Granny :hippy: