PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rockies

thclevel5
07-12-2008, 03:50 AM
We're having a bad year. Some folks around the country just say that we got on a historic tear last fall, and may overestimate luck. But winning 21 out of 22 means you're legit!

We're still just a handful of games behind mediocre Arizona. Already halfway to 100 losses, it still seems there's enough time to get it together and catch 'em. Absolutely odd.

Aaron Cook is phenomenal this year...yielding low pitch-counts, eating innings, and posting 11 wins. I sure wish someone else on our staff was over .500. Ubaldo Jimenez shows flashes, but it's hard to imagine a major-league starter with his lack of mechanics. Jeff Francis is among the league leaders in homers served; his bland 89-mph "heater" looks tantalizing to ME. And I wonder why local media praised his "poise" during last year's playoffs, while they now scorn him for his lack of "emotion".

The offense has routinely been injured too, though Brad Hawpe and Matt Holliday are finally healed and being themselves. Troy Tulowitzki can't stay off the DL but he's our Cal Ripken. Garrett Atkins' batting average is ordinary now. But in May '07 he was at .223.

The Tampa Bay Rays have been good for this whole season, so the national media has been able to promote them for a long time. But the Rockies just got good at the end of the season, so many people simply waited for us to fall off! Besides, if a Ray is worthy of an MVP or somethin' this year, they'll probably get due respect. Meanwhile, Holliday and Tulo were clearly the '07 MVP and Rookie of the Year, yet got nothing! Rollins just happened to play in Philly, and Braun hits a lotta homers.

I keep watching the Rockies every day because it's much easier than earlier this season. Sometimes they beat Ben Sheets in Milwaukee or beat the White Sox 2 outta 3 in Chicago, and sometimes they get swept by the Royals. Who knows.