PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Suggest Any Books for me

Exquizit
07-03-2008, 04:27 AM
I want to write a book or comic book, I have a basic concept in my head/on some papers/drawings of characters etc. It is a science-fiction concept. Can someone please give me a list of good science-fiction/fantasy books or philosophy books. That can help me with further ideas. Thanks. My book that i hopefully will write is about space/universe, "aliens" or other humanoid life, that lives like us, only we as in every living thing on earth is a test subject the leading product sold in the universe, autonomous robots. I am going to have evolution be a bunch of trial and errors, every prior evolution was updated with a new robot type thing and right now they are at their prime and almost ready for sale, and shit like that... anyway, anyone know good science-fiction, fantasy, philosophical books.

StickyfingahZ
07-03-2008, 06:36 AM
The Bible

Exquizit
07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
is the bible an actual good book to read?

psychocat
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Isaac Asimov - I Robot
Stephen Baxter and Arthur C Clarke - The Light of Other Days

They'll do for starters.

Coelho
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM

Like any book, it depends on personal taste... i think some books of it pretty interesting... and if you want some nice inspiration for an end for your world, read the Revelations...

SurferBoy37
08-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Best book series I've ever read is the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. It has 12 books, all 600 pages or more, and they are considered to be on the level of Tolkien, I'm a literature and Philosophy major, and I'd say better, but if you like science fiction or fantasy read them, they are incredible.
:D

Nightcrewman
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Read anything in the Discworld series of books by My favorite author Terry Pratchett.
In fact read them all, if you are into fantasy, comedy, science fiction you are guaranteed to be hooked.

NCM

thecreator
09-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I'd say read how to rig an election,I'm thumbing through it and its actually quite interesting.To the point where it becomes mind boggling.Oh and anything by Camus;written in the years of exile.

ropav1
07-27-2009, 01:00 AM
read works of carl sagan

overgrowthegovt
07-27-2009, 04:48 AM

I am a non-believer, with an intense personal dislike of Christianity, but the Bible is excellent literature that I find a very enjoyable read--I just keep in mind that it's fiction.

To he who initially asked...."Island" by Aldous Huxley, is the big one I would recommend. I find it to be the greatest philosophical novel I've read.

William Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" is also mandatory reading for human beings.

nowhuffo
07-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Phillip K. Dick. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is his most popular. Otherwise known as [U]Blade Runner.[U]

He has a lot of good stuff. Dr. Bloodmoney, Clans of the Alphane Moon, Confessions of a Crap Artist, to name a few.

Started reading him in the 70's and he was publishing two decades before then. The really scary part is what was science fiction then is reality now.

gypski
07-28-2009, 12:49 AM
anything by Herman Hesse. Especially Beneath the Wheel and Sidartha. :thumbsup:

BlueBlazer
12-02-2009, 01:23 AM

It's great for insomnia . . . :thumbsup:

BobBong
12-02-2009, 01:33 AM
The Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road)
Amazon.com: The Amber Room: A Novel (9780345483430): Steve Berry: Books (http://www.amazon.com/dp/034548343X/)
Under the Dome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome)

sammer
12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Definitely, definitely, read The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. It is the best fantasy novel I have ever read. I have read a lot of fantasy and trust me the concepts in this book are not childish, nothing else I have read comes close to Ende's inventiveness, skill, and creativity. Anyways please read this book and anyone else who reads this post check this book out you will be amazed after you read it, the movie does no justice to this masterpiece. :jointsmile:

If you are looking into science fiction definitely check out the book "Salt" by Adam Roberts. It is a good science fiction novel, written excellently. If you are into science fiction with more technology and "hard science" check out some Alastair Reynolds. His books are sometimes lengthy but they are jam-packed with wild ideas and crazy scientific details like deep-time, interstellar travel and relativity, alien races, new technology, artificial intelligence, etc. I personally reccomend the book House of Suns, it is my favourite science fiction book. I highly reccomend House of Suns to anyone it is an excellent book, completely full of intense ideas that will boggle your mind.

Anyways please look into these books everyone:)

BlueBlazer
12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
I know it's an old chestnut, but Catcher in the Rye is an excellent book with a lot of insights about life.