PDA

View Full Version : RI: General Assembly takes up last-minute legislation

Psycho4Bud
06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
PROVIDENCE ?? The General Assembly??s rush to adjournment took a pause, as legislators in both the Senate and House of Representatives called it a night on Friday and took the unusual step of reconvening on Saturday morning to wrap-up the legislative session.

Efforts to establish ??compassion centers? where registered medical marijuana users could obtain the drug without dealing on the sometimes dangerous black market failed, but a joint House and Senate resolution was passed to create a study commission that will spend the legislative off-season evaluating the idea.
The 13-member commission would include six legislators, three each from the House and Senate; four Democrats, two from each chamber; and two Republicans, one from each chamber. Also on the panel will be one patient advocate from the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition; one physician chosen from a list provided by the Rhode Island Medical Society; one nurse chosen from a list provided by the Rhode Island Nurses Association; two registered patients enrolled in the medical marijuana program; one registered caregiver enrolled in the program; and one representative of the law enforcement community.
They will be charged with making recommendations to the General Assembly on the merits of allowing for the licensing of non-profit medical marijuana compassion centers. The commission, the resolution states, ??shall meet with the purpose of evaluating and making recommendations regarding patients?? access to medical marijuana, efficacy of compassion centers throughout the country, physician participation in the medical marijuana program, the definitions of qualifying medical conditions and research on the health effects of medical marijuana.?
??I wish they had passed it,? said Sen. Rhoda Perry, the Senate sponsor of the original medical marijuana bill, which is named for her late nephew, Edward O. Hawkins, and the sponsor of the House bill, Providence Rep. Thomas Slater.
??Many times on very controversial issues there are some people who feel that further education of members is required,? Perry said.
??I take it as positive news,? she added. ??I think it means the momentum is behind us and we are going to go forward.?
??We couldn??t get there this year,? Slater said. ??I hope it will pass next year.?
Woonsocket Call - General Assembly takes up last-minute legislation (http://www.woonsocketcall.com/content/view/39009/112/)

We can only hope that this "study commission" comes back with good word for our friends in R.I. :thumbsup:

Have a good one!:jointsmile: