PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal male plants?

311junkie
03-10-2004, 07:50 PM
hey there fellow growers, lookin for some tips.
i have a few closet plants going. they are around 3 weeks old. one of em is 5 inches and growing beautiful, full leaves like mad. the other is around 3.4 inches tall and is struggling. it has a twisted stalk and few fan leaves that have only 1 leaf on them. where the first leaves branch off there are these little spindly things coming out. i was wondering if this is a sign that it is male? and also does the low quality of the leaves indicate crappy bud to come? if its male should i even continue to grow it? can you even smoke any parts if the male plant?, seeing as they have no buds i really dont see the point, except to fertilize, which is not a concern of mine, im looking for nice sensi-buds. any info you can give would be great

pics too come later...

311junkie
03-11-2004, 01:51 AM
whats wrong with this plant? it's not nearly as beautiful as the other one. :confused: any suggestions or comments about the well being of my babies?

psychocat
03-11-2004, 08:15 PM
whats wrong with this plant? it's not nearly as beautiful as the other one. :confused: any suggestions or comments about the well being of my babies?

I think it's probably female because of your description the males have two things that resemble balls (its the truth dude) whereas the female has two "stalks" not unlike small hairs.

It could just be a sickly plant or it could possibly be you're set up.
What lamps do you use,are they directly under the lights,even the amount of water can effect the growth cycle.
In the growing period they should get around 16 hours of light.
In general it doesn't look too bad,maybe a little on the small side.
Good luck man.

Boojum
03-12-2004, 11:26 AM
You won't be able to tell the gender this early. You can't tell if it's male with the naked eye until it starts flowering. If you get yourself a hand microscope you can tell once the plant gets to about the 5th node (set of branches off the main stem), then you look at the V where the latest node joins the stem, you'll either see a blob/blob on a stick (male) or a pointy thing with 2 feather-like hairs coming out (female). If you wait to flower, males are dead easy to spot, they develop hanging pollen sacs that look like little bananas. If the plant aint growing, could be a runt, or could be your reflector is not pointing the light right, or it could be a nute deficiency. Even in the best seeding compost, you still need to start feeding the plant when you water it after a fortnight or so. Could also be root rot - you're not overwatering are you? - my latest lot of plants are about 3 weeks old and I've only watered one of them cos it's huge, the moisture in the soil from when you germinated shoud do for the first few weeks - too much moisture in the soil will rot the roots (what compost you using, most potting compost needs to be mixed with perlite for drainage).

311junkie
03-12-2004, 07:23 PM
I think it's probably female because of your description the males have two things that resemble balls (its the truth dude) whereas the female has two "stalks" not unlike small hairs.

It could just be a sickly plant or it could possibly be you're set up.
What lamps do you use,are they directly under the lights,even the amount of water can effect the growth cycle.
In the growing period they should get around 16 hours of light.
In general it doesn't look too bad,maybe a little on the small side.
Good luck man.

I think my set up is pretty good. they are under lights 24/7. they are about 2 inches from hanging flourescent lights. ive read up quite a bit and this seems to be the run of the mill set up. the lights may be a little weak but other than that, i dont see any problems.

duppy man
06-19-2004, 08:56 PM
whats wrong with this plant? it's not nearly as beautiful as the other one. :confused: any suggestions or comments about the well being of my babies? its looking very spindly how far away from the light are they...2nd Q. what are you feeding them and at what frequency these all have a direct effect on growth and the general health of the plant hope the little one pulls through,, ;)

none
06-22-2004, 12:36 PM
:confused:

24/7 That would kill them, not giving the plant a break.

Also the soil may not the best, not having as much as cow or bat gombo.

I put about one cup cow dong with my top soil and did not hav a problem

with plant growth. Never use anything like fertializer, that will kill them.

jolly green giant
06-26-2004, 10:37 PM
:confused:

24/7 That would kill them, not giving the plant a break.

Also the soil may not the best, not having as much as cow or bat gombo.

I put about one cup cow dong with my top soil and did not hav a problem

with plant growth. Never use anything like fertializer, that will kill them.
24-7 will not kill a plant, in fact ive had a higher ratio of female plants using 24 hour vegging.

soil looks fine even got perlite in there.

fertiliser will kill plants... ive heard it all now.

NowhereMan
06-27-2004, 12:51 AM
make me luagh too sometimes

and they everywhere you dont expect
like here

must say NONE
that advice
woohoooo
not good,>>>>>
where ya been growing,
now most soil can use a lil adjustment
be it
nutrients
or just stablize the ph balance at a nice 6
and hey hope your dope grows ok
peace

Lifecrisis
07-10-2004, 10:28 AM
lalalalalallalalalalala

sawleaf
07-10-2004, 04:27 PM
I think my set up is pretty good. they are under lights 24/7. they are about 2 inches from hanging flourescent lights. ive read up quite a bit and this seems to be the run of the mill set up. the lights may be a little weak but other than that, i dont see any problems.

You've read up quite a bit??? What did you read the, Lighting Chapter? Judging from all your questions you definately need to read the entire book, better yet quite a few books. I can't stress it enough, I've probably posted about books and knowledge hundreds of times. If growers would study and learn the facts about cannabis first, then 99% of these initial questions and problems would be non-exsisnent. None, this goes for you to. You're plants could benefit greatly if you'd do some studying also! Don't pass bad advice if you don't know what you are talking about. We are all here to help people become better cultivators, not screw them up. Jolly green giant, thanks for clearing up the 24 hour lighting issue. :)

tumbleweed
07-11-2004, 06:00 AM
contrary to what people believe you can have a huge
plant under fluoros IF your going to hydro not soil
soil under fluoros takes way too long I would try to
move that to a hydro kit trust me you'll enjoy it
more than the wait you'll have using soil

magneslee
07-16-2004, 09:51 PM
also i sugjest to any grower to buy grow books , you can never have to menny :)

spidee39
09-03-2004, 05:37 PM
thanks for clearing up the 24 hour lighting issue.

24/7 is fine for the green they are plants they dont need to sleep some growers use 18 hrs because they think its crule 24/7 (the more light the quicker they will grow) :D

spidee39
09-03-2004, 05:45 PM
xx
24/7 is fine for the green they are plants they dont need to sleep some growers use 18 hrs because they think its crule 24/7 (the more light the quicker they will grow)

Mac Maniac
09-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Actually, the relevant questions may be -
What kind of lighting is he using? Fluorescent? Metal-Halide? Or a bunch of ultra-bright 5w Luxean LEDs?
And appropiate fertilizer? The sort you'd use, on say, tomatoes? Beans?
Are the pots clean to start with? What potting mix to use?

And for those who're posting about books and hydro kits, well... not all of us even know where to find the stuff. We're all newbies at times. :rolleyes:

BobBong
09-28-2005, 02:59 PM
xx
24/7 is fine for the green they are plants they dont need to sleep some growers use 18 hrs because they think its crule 24/7 (the more light the quicker they will grow)

24 hours of light is suitable for a seedling. nothing more. you shouldn't be in 24 hours of light for more than a week.. two max.

If you'd read that book you picked up.. you'd know that the plant needs dark to produce the thc...

keep em on 24 hours of light if you want them to be male. :)

P.s.

isn't this in the wrong forum?

Zandor
09-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Your thread was moved to the cultivation area.

nonamechronicsmoker
09-29-2005, 04:01 PM
If you dont know what to do with male plants theres something wrong with you. Well heres the answer. You rip it out of the pot and throw it out the window or your female buds will be crap.

xxSTONER.MANxx
10-05-2005, 09:55 PM
hello guys whats sup i need some weed i prefer skunk and hydro want to hook me up then email me at

[email protected]

thanks guys peace out

xxSTONER.MANxx
10-05-2005, 09:56 PM
hey how do i get a picture next to my name tell me at my email later

turtle420
10-05-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm wondering who the fuck dug up this thread after over 1 year of it being below... ???

Not that there's anything wrong with it...

Mac Maniac
10-19-2005, 03:47 AM
An Question here... might be a bit off-topic here, but this may help other newbies like me.

When a seeding is transplanted to a bigger pot from a starter tray, does it take a certain amount of time to get over the transplant shock? If so, how much should we expect in general?
I had understood that in general, the newly transplanted seedlings take about a week to get over the shock, then start growing, depending on how much their roots have been disturbed in the process.