PDA

View Full Version : Specter Would 'Absolutely' Use Medical Marijuana

Psycho4Bud
06-19-2008, 06:36 PM
U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) reportedly asserted that he would "absolutely" use medical marijuana to mitigate the effects of his cancer if Pennsylvania allowed it and if his doctor issued a prescription.

Mr. Specter had mentioned possibly sponsoring legislation years ago, after first learning of his ailment, to legalize marijuana for medical purposes.

He is reported to have also added that while he would use the substance if it were legalized, he did not endorse violating current law.

Federal law prohibits the prescription of the drug for medical purposes in any jurisdiction, although a few states have undertaken referenda to lift their own restrictions. The Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) maintains that these ballot measures are illegal because they circumvent the federal drug approval process overseen by the Food and Drug Administration.

"Our view is that medicines that are made available to people who are sick and who are suffering should all undergo rigorous study to make sure that they're safe and effective," Rafael Lemaitre, spokesman for the ONDCP, told The Bulletin, adding that the effort to legalize medical marijuana "basically inserts politics in place of science."

Mr. Lemaitre said that medicines already exist in the marketplace to treat the eating difficulties and other effects of cancer and other diseases. Marinol, for example, contains THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the active ingredient in marijuana and is legally permitted.

He said that all off the ballot initiative campaigns have received their most crucial support and funding from groups who desire to legalize marijuana entirely.

"This is a campaign being mounted by political lobbying groups in Washington, D.C.," Mr. Lemaitre said.
The Bulletin - Philadelphia's Family Newspaper - Specter Would 'Absolutely' Use Medical Marijuana (http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=19782436&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8)

A leading Senator, republican at that, is now on the right track. Alot of progress has been made as of late and the way the trend is I can sense there'll be alot more.

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

40oz
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow that is very suprising to me. Isn't Arlen Spectre the crazy guy that hates gays and abortion? I can't believe he supports medical marijuana.

birdgirl73
06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Wow that is very suprising to me. Isn't Arlen Spectre the crazy guy that hates gays and abortion? I can't believe he supports medical marijuana.
You must be thinking of someone else, 40oz. Arlen Specter's quite moderate and has always supported pro-choice over the years. Lots of the more conservative Rs think that that and other stances of his mean he's not really a Republican. He is, however. He's no slouch. Penn and Yale Law. Phi Beta Kappa. Smart.

Arlen Specter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlen_Specter)

40oz
06-19-2008, 07:07 PM
You're right birdgirl, I was thinking of Rick Santorum.

birdgirl73
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
You're right birdgirl, I was thinking of Rick Santorum.
Eek! Quick. Think another thought!!

DrSpoof
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
now if he would only shut the fuck up about the patriots... im a giants fan myself but cmon man, youre making the senate look like a joke with all the spygate nonsense.

this new cause of his sounds more up my alley. :thumbsup:

DrSpiggity

killerweed420
06-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Isn't it funny how people think its the devils weed till they are in a position that it might help them. Then its a different story. I think we should all send a gram to him with no return address.:jointsmile:

HerbalConfusion
06-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Isn't it funny how people think its the devils weed till they are in a position that it might help them. Then its a different story. I think we should all send a gram to him with no return address.:jointsmile:

haha probably not a bad idea. I think things are changing guys i mean i know hes not every member of the senate but last year or 2 years ago i just feel like a senator openly admitting he/she would use medical marijuana just wasnt something that was gonna happen. Maybe im the only one that feels this way. I also think this opens up a new doorway too im sure other senators will follow suit obviously not all but every one counts.

killerweed420
06-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Yep I agree. Legislation is moving forward slowly. But atleast its moving.