PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Presidential Candidates on Medical Marijuana

rebgirl420
06-19-2008, 03:49 AM
2008 Presidential Candidates on Medical Marijuana

This site is a non partisan view on the pro's and con's of medical marijuana. It gives a detailed description of each and every presidential candidate and I mean EVERYONE, not just Obama and McCain.

But of course McCain is opposed to it and Obama is kinda for it. Here's their quotes:

John McCain, U.S. Senator (R-AZ), gave the following reponse at a Town Hall meeting in Derry, New Hampshire on Sep. 30, 2007:

"Every medical expert I know of, including the AMA [American Medical Association], says that there are much more effective and much better treatments for pain than medical marijuana...I still would not support medical marijuana because I don't think that the preponderance of medical opinion in America agrees with [the] assertion that it's the most effective way of treating pain."

Barack Obama, U.S. Senator (D-IL), stated in a Mar. 22, 2008 interview with Gary Nelson, Editorial page editor for the Oregon newspaper Mail Tribune:

"When it comes to medical marijuana, I have more of a practical view than anything else. My attitude is that if it's an issue of doctors prescribing medical marijuana as a treatment for glaucoma or as a cancer treatment, I think that should be appropriate because there really is no difference between that and a doctor prescribing morphine or anything else. I think there are legitimate concerns in not wanting to allow people to grow their own or start setting up mom and pop shops because at that point it becomes fairly difficult to regulate.
I'm not familiar with all the details of the initiative that was passed [in Oregon] and what safeguards there were in place, but I think the basic concept that using medical marijuana in the same way, with the same controls as other drugs prescribed by doctors, I think that's entirely appropriate.

I would not punish doctors if it's prescribed in a way that is appropriate. That may require some changes in federal law. I will tell you that...the likelihood of that being real high on my list is not likely. What I'm not going to be doing is using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue simply because I want folks to be investigating violent crimes and potential terrorism. We've got a lot of things for our law enforcement officers to deal with."

2008 Presidential Candidates on Medical Marijuana - Medical Marijuana ProCon.org (http://www.medicalmarijuanaprocon.org/pop/candidateviews.htm)