PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing strains

justanotherbozo
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
as some of you already know, i am on my second grow, first in hydro and using bagbeans in an attempt to learn how to grow using DWC techniques and CFL's for lighting.
some may also know that quantity is not my goal, quality is.
some may even know that i'm 52 (shit 53, May 12) and a disabled Vet., lol, non-serviced connected so i live in poverty.
thankfully, lol, i'm kinda handy

so, my goals are to lower my costs, minimize my exposure and improve the quality of what i smoke.

now, thanks in large part to the help i've recieved here, i think i can, through cloning, keep a SOG going for some time into the future, how long is still a mystery. i am comforted, knowing how many good and knowledgable people there are here to help me.
anyway, not tryin' to blow smoke

the point is, as i sit here waiting for my economic stimulus check to arrive, i have been shopping around for seeds and it appears that Nirvana beats them all, hands down.
unless i'm completely misunderstanding, most of thier seeds are in the $40.00 - $50.00 range for 10 seeds. at that price i plan on buying 3 strains for variety, in taste as well as in buzz.

which brings me, finally, to the point of this posting.

because i have a high tolerance, no pun intended, my tentative choices are :

1) Jock Horror currently on sale for $24.54USD
2) Papaya good enough for the modfather, good enough for me $40.91USD
3) Northern Lights x Big Bud for my everday bud $40.91USD
4) Bubblelicious for a change of pace $40.91USD

i know that's 4, not 3, but hell, it's still under $150.00, i spend more than that every single month already

i figure the JH 'cause i really like an up kinda high, the Papaya for those, 'i'm not goin' nowhere', couch lock days, and the NLxBB for my walkin' around bud, with Bubblelicious as an occasional taste treat.

so help me out, will i be happy? it's only because of the windfall i'm able to do it at all so i can't afford to mess it up.
any suggestions or opinions on these strains or your own personal favorites are appreciated.

stinkyattic
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
If you want a sativa, try their Pure Power Plant. It's a South African IBL which means that you can make your own seeds
(save $$$$ later) and they will be the same as the parents. It is also spicy, frosty, and yields like a champ.
NLxBB sounds like a good 'weight' strain, and Papaya is a great choice. Nirvana's is a gorgeous, indestructible, heavy-yielding plant that gives SUPER furry buds covered in thick orange hairs. It looks luxurious. I run it for variety, and my buddy runs it on a larger scale- good choice.

justanotherbozo
06-06-2008, 07:31 PM
If you want a sativa, try their Pure Power Plant. It's a South African IBL which means that you can make your own seeds
(save $$$$ later) and they will be the same as the parents. It is also spicy, frosty, and yields like a champ.
NLxBB sounds like a good 'weight' strain, and Papaya is a great choice. Nirvana's is a gorgeous, indestructible, heavy-yielding plant that gives SUPER furry buds covered in thick orange hairs. It looks luxurious. I run it for variety, and my buddy runs it on a larger scale- good choice.

thanks for the feedback Stinky

i have the PPP on my list of possible's, i really like the description and your recommendation makes me sway very much in that direction, what keeps me hesitant is thier statement 'Best suited for outdoor growing.', and as you know, i'm growing indoors and in limited space. would it work in a SOG, with plants sent to flower at no more than six inchs tall (3 - 4 nodes is my plan), i want to harvest 4 - 6 'bud-on-a-sticks' if you know what i mean.

as for the NLxBB, have you tried it? how's the buzz? i chose it because the buzz sounds nice and i figured i should get at least one strain that would produce, even with CFL's.

and thanks for affirming my choice with the Papaya, i was leaning heavily in that direction already, based on the description, with Aurora Indica running a close second. then i saw NL and Papaya on one of Psycho4Bud's threads and that pretty much decided me on the Papaya. your recomendation makes it a sure thing.

you didn't comment on the Bubblelicious, is that because you don't have an opinion or are you just being polite and not panning one of my choices? please, give it to me straight.

oh yeah, a question. wouldn't i be able to collect pollen from males from each of these strains and use the pollen to make seeds, as it were, with fems of the same strain to make 'backups', and with fems of the other strains to make cross' for me to try? that's one of the reasons why i'm not going with femanized seeds, i want at least 1 male from each strain. (I plan on propagating my SOG with clones so male to female ratio is of no concern, as long as i get one of each at least)

LOL, i've been told that i'm a bit long winded so thanks for taking the time

anyway it's :420thought: time to :S5:

SnSstealth
06-06-2008, 08:15 PM
it is smoke time huh.......(packs bowl):jointsmile:

ok...i agree with your choices, jock horror is their version of jack herer i believe...GOOD shit...and queen stinks knows her shit, so i would go with the others...papaya is good....but your predominantly sativas wont go SOG....go for blueberry....VERY nice up high...and works in SOG
whiskeytango

stinkyattic
06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know Bubbleicious- I've never grown it and I'm not sure what version of bubblegum it's a knockoff of (assume Nirvana strains are knowoffs; Papaya is their version of Mango).

PPP does fabulously indoors in SOG. It behaves like an indica despite its sat heritage. You can get monster colas off that thing too if you play with your pruning.

justanotherbozo
06-06-2008, 08:29 PM
it is smoke time huh.......(packs bowl):jointsmile:

ok...i agree with your choices, jock horror is their version of jack herer i believe...GOOD shit...and queen stinks knows her shit, so i would go with the others...papaya is good....but your predominantly sativas wont go SOG....go for blueberry....VERY nice up high...and works in SOG
whiskeytango

according to Nirvana's description 'Jock is a multiple hybrid of Northern Light, Skunk and Haze. which delivers a strong up buzz. This variety produces so much resin even the branches glisten with glands. Jock Horror has a very unique fresh flavour and packs a strong up buzz. Finishes earlier than original Jack of a few years ago. One of our favourites.', which sounds nice as hell.

Stinky suggested the PPP in it's place and on Nirvana they say 'Pure Power Plant is a strong mostly sativa variety developed in the late 90â??s from South African strains. The tremendous growth potential of this plant is a prime example of hybrid vigor. PPP is the latest trend among Dutch commercial growers because of its high yields of the highest priced buds. Pure Power Plant has a pleasant, almost pine, after taste and a powerful social buzz.' which sounds really nice too, and probably more suitable to my needs.

unfortunately, Nirvana doesn't carry any Blueberry, i figure to go with Nirvana alone for my first attempt at buying good genes.

justanotherbozo
06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't know Bubbleicious- I've never grown it and I'm not sure what version of bubblegum it's a knockoff of (assume Nirvana strains are knowoffs; Papaya is their version of Mango).

PPP does fabulously indoors in SOG. It behaves like an indica despite its sat heritage. You can get monster colas off that thing too if you play with your pruning.

i'm sold, lol, PPP and Papaya are definates which leaves me enough for one more, lol, i'm trying to keep it at $150.000

SnSstealth
06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah....i would go with stinkies recommendations...i never worked PPP, and since stinky said it would work in SOG...i would go for it...
good luck!!!!
whiskeytango

justanotherbozo
06-06-2008, 08:42 PM
yeah....i would go with stinkies recommendations...i never worked PPP, and since stinky said it would work in SOG...i would go for it...
good luck!!!!
whiskeytango

i'm just waiting for my check from George and i'm off, lol, no pun intended

btw, lol, i know i'm not really up on current events but, when did they move North Carolina to Kazakstan? lol. did they do it like the London Bridge, one rock at a time? lol

:S5: :joint1: :bigsmoke:

stinkyattic
06-06-2008, 08:43 PM
If you have enough dough for one more, a pure Aghani (NOT the Af x Maroc they sell) or an F1 hybrid of an Affie x something burly and squat would be nice to have in the lineup. Or check out the Mandala seeds, since they are also very inexpensive. HashBerry is wonderful.

SnSstealth
06-06-2008, 08:54 PM
LOL....Im not in either....Im from NC, going back in about a year....but in FL now.....
and GREAT call on the afghani stinky!!!
WT

justanotherbozo
06-06-2008, 09:00 PM
If you have enough dough for one more, a pure Aghani (NOT the Af x Maroc they sell) or an F1 hybrid of an Affie x something burly and squat would be nice to have in the lineup. Or check out the Mandala seeds, since they are also very inexpensive. HashBerry is wonderful.

they have this,
Afghan, Originally this strain was imported from Afghanistan and selectively bred in Holland for indoor cultivation. Afghan has a strong acrid aroma. Greasy resin glands extend to the fat shade leaves. The smoke is heavy with a strong almost numbing buzz if raised and cured properly. This plant has a high flower to leaf ratio and good yield. Afghan is one of the original genetic lines used in many popular modern day hybrids.
and the AK48 sounds nice
unfortunately, i can't find any Hashberry or Daddy's Girl, lol, wish i could

SnSstealth
06-06-2008, 09:28 PM
mmmm....i would love to get my hands on norcal daddys girl too....good taste bozo...lol
whiskeytango

PlantHeadJ
06-07-2008, 10:52 PM
You might want to consider the White Widow, that is if you want to buzz like a saw!!

justanotherbozo
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM
well, i got a letter from George telling me my check will be here on Fri., God willing they will just let me cash it (it will be a treasury check after all).

anyway, because i know the cash will be here soon, i've been visiting the seedbanks again. what a difference in price!

i'm still sold on the PPP and Papaya but, in my shopping, i've found Nirvana seeds being sold at a much better price at Seedboutique than at Nirvana itself. Can that be right? will they be the same seeds?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, i want to order tomorrow and if i can get the same seeds at almost half the price, lol, i can buy more than 2 strains, lol

anyway, thanks in advance for any help and thanks again to all who have shared already

justanotherbozo
06-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Seedboutique? Nirvana seeds? same thing? please?

bigjohnson688
06-12-2008, 07:43 PM
ive heard some good things about them and some bad things about them.but yes its true you can get the same seeds for cheaper..ive order direct from nirvana and had no prob's with my order.took me about 18 days to get them in the midwest..but i will recomend that you order from dr.chronic.you can get nirvana seeds cheaper through him than nirvan!!verry good service and fast to.took me 8 days from the time i order till the day i got them.all the way across the atlantic pond..the good doc also sells KC brands thay are cheap aswell..either way you go nirvana and KC has a lot of bang for your buck

BIG