PDA

View Full Version : Owners of six SoCal medical marijuana stores arrested

Psycho4Bud
05-29-2008, 03:34 PM
The owner of six Southern California medical marijuana dispensaries, including one linked to a highway accident that killed a motorist and paralyzed a California Highway Patrol officer, was arrested Tuesday on drug and money laundering charges, prosecutors said.
Virgil Grant III, 41, of Carson, was indicted in U.S. District Court along with his wife, Psytra Grant, 33, but neither entered pleas, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office. The charges include selling drugs within 1,000 feet of a school.

Authorities are still searching for an employee, Stanley Jerome Cole, who allegedly sold a pound of marijuana to undercover agents for $5,700, said Mrozek.

A federal grand jury returned a 41-count indictment that named all three, Mrozek said.

Cole allegedly sold marijuana products to Jeremy White, who has been charged with gross vehicular manslaughter in Ventura County in connection with a December 2007 accident. White's truck hit a car that was parked on the shoulder of Highway 101 in Ventura County, killing the driver and seriously injuring CHP officer Anthony Pedeferri.

According to court documents, White admitted he was under the influence when the accident happened and investigators found marijuana and edible marijuana products in his car.

Federal investigators determined that White purchased the marijuana from The Holistic Caregivers, or THC, in Compton, which is one of the medical marijuana dispensaries allegedly operated by Virgil Grant.
California's medical marijuana law prohibits the cultivation and sale of marijuana for profit. Marijuana use is illegal under federal law, which does not recognize the medical marijuana laws in California and 11 other states.

The Grants also face money laundering charges.

Virgil Grant was being held on $250,000 bail while his wife was released on $50,000 bail Tuesday evening, said Mrozek..

Messages left for Virgil Grant's attorney, Roger Rosen, and for Psytra Grant's attorney, Steven Schectman, were not returned late Tuesday.

The couple is due back in court Monday for arraignment.
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_9400182

Like nobody could see this tactic coming from the feds!:mad:

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

killerweed420
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
The guy should not of been driving high. Thats what escalated everything else.

8182KSKUSH
05-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I guess I don't understand. What tactic?

SFGurrilla
05-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Theres no link between the stories. Like saying

Bill had marijuana in his car, and he had a body in his trunk. Thats linking the two together in a media stand point.

8182KSKUSH
05-30-2008, 04:20 AM
Yea, I kind of get that.
The way I read it, it sounds like this guy nearly killed 2 innocent people, and admitted to be under the influence and had cannabis and cannabis products in the car. It doesn't say that he said he had used cannabis at the clinic and then got in the car, but I am assuming that was the claim.
That sucks.
But if you are at a bar, get shit faced and they continue to serve you, the establishment can be held accountable. So I see the precedent there, it just so happens that he almost killed a cop, and it sounds like law enforcement brought down hell on these guys. And in the process apparently racked up over 40 other charges? Who knows what really happened, but if the charges are true, then these people had no business being in business. I am not saying they are true, lord knows, over zealous cops have been known to be dis-honest, but at the same time I will be intrested to follow this story. It's always possible that these are "bad guys" and that law enforcement is doing the right thing. It's just hard to tell in this day and age who's good and who's bad sometimes. It almost sounds like this is going to be a question of "do the ends justify the means". What I mean is, did they go after these people in an underhanded way or compromise their own "law enforcement integrity" to get real "bad guys" or are they innocent victims of malicious law enforcement.? Please keep us updated on this case!

painretreat
05-30-2008, 06:44 AM
the news on (T.V.) said that the driver had a 'low dose' of medically prescribed marijuana in his blood stream! THAT WASN'T THE WORST PART, IT ALSO SHOWED THE HIGHWAY PATROL OFFICER, IN wheelchair and looking cross-eyed and motionless! IT WAS PRETTY SAD!! It was on ABC/7 on May 28; mite be able to check out link on their site! Made me sick! Also, said there are over 300 dispensaries in L.A. county alone! PSYCHO, THANKS FOR POSTING ALL THE INFO--I think we all need that knowledge. THE CHP had the car pulled over when he struck them! They say, anyone, even sober will hit cars pulled to the side of road with a lot of lights on. The issue of money laundering etc. was the reason all 6 stores was closed, according to the news; I found under South. CAl. Thread someone listed several closed in Compton area over a year ago! SO IT SEEMS TO ME; COMPTON HAS BEEN A TARGET FOR DEA! ONCE A STATE EMPLOYEE IS INJURED, IT MAKES SENSE. WHAT CAN WE DO AS INDIVIDUALS TO PREVENT THIS! THINK AND DRIVE SENSIBLY, NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER MED IN YOUR SYSTEM! IT IS LIKE SEVERAL ISSUES IN ONE! IF WE WANT IT LEGAL, WE NEED TO DO OUR PART AND DRIVE; LIKE STINKY'S QUOTE--DRIVE LIKE THE MAN IS AFTER YOU!!! BE SAFE EVERYONE! HOPE THIS DOESN'T SCREW THINGS UP FOR OTHER STATES LAWS!

zebracakes
05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Has anyone thought maybe this guy justed hated the police? That this really didn't have anything to do with being high?

Psycho4Bud
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
COMPTON HAS BEEN A TARGET FOR DEA! ONCE A STATE EMPLOYEE IS INJURED, IT MAKES SENSE. WHAT CAN WE DO AS INDIVIDUALS TO PREVENT THIS! THINK AND DRIVE SENSIBLY, NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER MED IN YOUR SYSTEM! IT IS LIKE SEVERAL ISSUES IN ONE! IF WE WANT IT LEGAL, WE NEED TO DO OUR PART AND DRIVE; LIKE STINKY'S QUOTE--DRIVE LIKE THE MAN IS AFTER YOU!!! BE SAFE EVERYONE! HOPE THIS DOESN'T SCREW THINGS UP FOR OTHER STATES LAWS!

One of the best posts I've seen in a while....much respect to ya!:thumbsup:

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

WillyX
05-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Under this precedent, then shouldnt every car accident victim that was injured by a drunk driver find out where the drunk driver bought their booze from and have the liquor store owner arrested (or even the manufacturer of the booze).

the image reaper
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Under this precedent, then shouldnt every car accident victim that was injured by a drunk driver find out where the drunk driver bought their booze from and have the liquor store owner arrested (or even the manufacturer of the booze).

there's still a few states that do just that :wtf: ... Illinois is/was one of 4 states (if I remember right), that have what is called "Dram-Shop laws" ... no matter how drunk you get at one bar, the 'LAST' place that served you alcohol, or sold you liquor, (even your friend's house), is the responsible party in lawsuits ... 'Dram Shop' liability insurance is expensive as all hell, too ! ... theory is: the bartender is not supposed to serve anyone obviously drunk (of course, it is done all the time) ... 'happy hour', anyone ? :jointsmile: