PDA

View Full Version : Herb for the sick and struggling?

allrollsin21
05-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I have just started this growing thing and enjoy it very much. It has opened my eyes to growing my own food as well. Can't believe it took this long but glad i am where i am. My question is does anyone have ideas of where a grower could SAFELY DONATE cannabis to sick folks that can't afford the high prices of mid-high grade herbs?

I have been thinking of getting in touch with a social worker and seeing if they could connect me with struggling patients. I am a bit weary of this as i dont know where i would find the person or if it is safe. Also i dont want to push the idea of smoking herbs on sick folks.

All i know is that our reason for being here on earth is to help each other out. The street prices of cannabis, even in dispensaries puts herb out of reach for many people that could benefit it. I live in a fairly average-low income country setting and would like to give a little more back than i currently am. I am not sure i am comfortable standing outside a chemotherapy center handing out brownies...but maybe i am.

stinkyattic
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
ROCK ON, ARI21.
This is one of my huge complaints about the Cali dispensary situation- it's still so outrageously expensive! Granted, dollars-to-effect, it's still a great value when compared to commercial pharmaceuticals, but still! I work with local Med card holders, NOT in Cali, most of whom are unable to work because of their condition, and rely at least in part upon public assistance for income, housing, food, or medical care. The first time I saw a dispensary crowing that it was capped at $65 an eighth, I practically fell out of my seat. That's a lot of money for someone on a limited or fixed income! The people I know could never afford that.
My suggestion is to do it discreetly and quietly, to people who you already know who have med cards, or if you know a doctor, he might have some patients of modest means who you can help out. No doubt there are compassion groups, but you'll have to find someone you are comfortable dealing with.
Good luck, it's a great thing to be thinking of.

the image reaper
05-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I congratulate you on your proper attitude :thumbsup: ... as far as I know, you can still donate seeds to the 'Treating Yourself' organization (perhaps not) ... in the past, in an effort to get some of my own seeds into the hands of a particular breeder, a well-known seedbank offered their services to give them away as 'freebies' to some Canadian Medical-MJ users, which I happily did :jointsmile: ... I have seen a couple of the more well-known seedbanks actually ask for growers' seeds, for freebie give-aways ... my advice, contact your favorite seedbank :thumbsup:

west coast style
05-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah, good stuff you're doing here, ARI21. Perhaps ask a local dispensary if they have any ideas or if they can point you towards a direction. It'd be great if the really sick folks were able to get their hands on this.

allrollsin21
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
It is tuff to know who is in need and who is looking for a handout. I think just allowing yourself to be fooled and not getting upset about it is a good place to start. Because really who am i to judge another's financial and healthful wellbeing.
I will post any progress i have so that if anyone has similar interest it could be of help. If anyone has other ideas of where to start, i am all ears.
Ofcourse i'll be starting small as i am at about 25% as successful as i thought i would be at this point.

allrollsin21
05-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Well some ideas i have had and also have been mentioned. Getting in touch with a dispensiary seemed the obvious one to me. I agree bayarea it could be helpful. My only concern is the pessimist in me saying they will look at me as reducing their business. They are the ones selling the 65$ 1/8ths. But you know they are also providing a necessary service and i commend them for it. They are of course putting themselves at risk.

The seed thing is a great idea to ImageR. I had never heard of that before and think that is a sweet place to start. It reminds me of the "i could catch a fish for you, or teach you how to fish".
I just know it has been a struggle for myself to finally produce some high grade, and i know there are those out there who need meds now, and are opting for some nasty side effecting sort of working pharmaceuticals. Although I do think seeds should definitely be a part of any program.

8182KSKUSH
05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
That is a great idea.
A word of caution though.
Not everyone is whom they seem to be. All it would take is for one, just one person to get pissed at you for who knows what, maybe you find out they are not as "in need" as you think. Maybe they are "in need" but they are extremely bad people themselves. You see where that is going. Believe me I have seen 1st hand. I worked in a clinic that literally had thousands of patients. Our policy was to be "compassionate" to those that we knew were "in need". We gave away lots of medicine for free, everyday. We would have patients come in daily for their compassion. We had people ask specifically for it.
When Ronnie was raided, and since, guess how many of those people he has heard from?
Point is, although your intentions are noble, most of the people you would intend to help are not necessarily always nice people, and from my exp at least, none of them will be so willing to help you should the worst case scenario happen. I am saying you are like their best Friend going to the kids weddings one day, the next you don't exist. My advice is to not do that, none of the people you would be "risking your life for" would be willing to do the same. Promise. Be alot different if it weren't illegal.:jointsmile:

the image reaper
05-15-2008, 09:10 PM
That is a great idea.
A word of caution though.
Not everyone is whom they seem to be. All it would take is for one, just one person to get pissed at you for who knows what, maybe you find out they are not as "in need" as you think. Maybe they are "in need" but they are extremely bad people themselves. You see where that is going. Believe me I have seen 1st hand. I worked in a clinic that literally had thousands of patients. Our policy was to be "compassionate" to those that we knew were "in need". We gave away lots of medicine for free, everyday. We would have patients come in daily for their compassion. We had people ask specifically for it.
When Ronnie was raided, and since, guess how many of those people he has heard from?
Point is, although your intentions are noble, most of the people you would intend to help are not necessarily always nice people, and from my exp at least, none of them will be so willing to help you should the worst case scenario happen. I am saying you are like their best Friend going to the kids weddings one day, the next you don't exist. My advice is to not do that, none of the people you would be "risking your life for" would be willing to do the same. Promise. Be alot different if it weren't illegal.:jointsmile:

a lot of truth just spoken there, too :thumbsup:

allrollsin21
05-15-2008, 10:06 PM
No doubt that info from KUSH needs to be in the forefront of any brainstorm.
I am trying to remain wishful that if a philanthropic intention is put forth on a non profit level then some of those bullets may be able to be dodged. I'll be the first to admit,I don't know.
The vision is to have a co-op of friendly generous growers all with the motivation and desire to help provide free medicine to those in need. A simple and safe distribution outlet...somehow anonymous or at the very least discreet. I was thinking that maybe social workers could play a part. When i say co-op i dont even mean a location, but more of a word of mouth HUMAN TO HUMAN institution. It was easy to read the post from Kush and be totally discouraged...and I do thank you for posting that headsup...but if people don't try then the oppressors win. Spread the love every way possible.

8182KSKUSH
05-16-2008, 02:41 AM
O man don't get me wrong. It is not my intent to discourage you. Just a heads up, I hope that you can figure and very good way to be charitable with your extra. You could always put it into a different form, i.e. edibles, tinctures, ect....I don't know, I definately don't have the answers for you. Just don't want to see yet another person with a good heart lose their life basically for just trying to do the right thing. I have seen it first hand. Good luck.:thumbsup:

painretreat
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
For those of us that cannot afford it and so desperately need it, YOU WOULD BE AN ANGEL!!! My mom went thru Chemo--she would not use it even though she needed it! So, there has to be a better distribution. Plus, I have found out, the laws are so strict, If I asked the wrong person, like a police officer, if he knew where I could buy some--I could go to jail. But, that was 20 years ago! I'd be careful, perhaps through this avenue you can find a safe outlet! I can't even get it. So, you certainly have the right forum! :thumbsup:

allrollsin21
05-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I am confused. You can't afford it, or you "can't get it"? I see you live in California, and i have a sneeking suspicion that the state has a surplus. Whats going on?

veggii
05-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I am sick and struggling ........:thumbsup:

Lanietheberner
05-24-2008, 11:12 PM
We have the name and number for an AID's group in San Francisco that we donate all of our pieces and parts to, if you need the contact please contact me privately.

allrollsin21
05-25-2008, 02:05 AM
how do i contact you privately? i clicked on your name and that did not show me the way. That contact is exactly what i would like...as long as its safe. Thanks so much

painretreat
06-03-2008, 08:04 AM
I am confused. You can't afford it, or you "can't get it"? I see you live in California, and i have a sneeking suspicion that the state has a surplus. Whats going on?

BOTH: People think I am a narc-so getting it on the cheap is a prob. for me. Was in Eureka once, asked everyone, having spasm's so bad could hardly walk--no help and in the best place in the world to get it! I do not know others that use. Was hippie in '70's and due to work, etc. stopped. Now, with med. probs./disability really have a big need. I am just learning this site and found I could put a Y for contact. New posts have. But, I just found out how to find my old posts today. STILL LEARNING. Sure would like to learn how and a good way to gro fast from you. Live in rural area, far from area to acquire, as well! Surely there is a surplus, but people I worked with even thought I was an implant narc. agent! :( And wouldn't even engage. Now with medical need and MMJ, the dispensary is so far on I've been on disability for 20 years. No luck getting help. AM GOING TO GRO--so if you have advice u can click on Y and give me gro advice!;) everything appreciated! am such a newbie, just found this thread again!:thumbsup:

psteve
06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I have just started this growing thing and enjoy it very much. It has opened my eyes to growing my own food as well. Can't believe it took this long but glad i am where i am. My question is does anyone have ideas of where a grower could SAFELY DONATE cannabis to sick folks that can't afford the high prices of mid-high grade herbs?

I have been thinking of getting in touch with a social worker and seeing if they could connect me with struggling patients. I am a bit weary of this as i dont know where i would find the person or if it is safe. Also i dont want to push the idea of smoking herbs on sick folks.

All i know is that our reason for being here on earth is to help each other out. The street prices of cannabis, even in dispensaries puts herb out of reach for many people that could benefit it. I live in a fairly average-low income country setting and would like to give a little more back than i currently am. I am not sure i am comfortable standing outside a chemotherapy center handing out brownies...but maybe i am.You should live in Oregon, because that's how we roll here.
No dispensaries, no buy or sell. Just people helping each other. For free.
We have a group called Marimeds N.W., that exclusively helps terminal patients with six months or less to live. Folks who don't have enough time left to grow their own, or even find a grower.
Maybe you could start something like that in your area?
Start by contacting hospices, and go from there.

veggii
06-03-2008, 05:21 PM
You should live in Oregon, because that's how we roll here.
We have a group called Marimeds N.W., that exclusively helps terminal patients with six months or less to live. Folks who don't have enough time left to grow their own, or even find a grower.

Hi Steve
I have a freind that lives in Or. and that is how things are in Oregon.My Freind grows for 4 patients and gives them free meds every year!! enough to last till next year!! It's so awesome to see atleast one state has gotten things rite.
God Bless you guys up there Oregon.I hope the rest of the states will soon follow in Oregons Footsteps.

psteve
06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Steve
I have a freind that lives in Or. and that is how things are in Oregon.My Freind grows for 4 patients and gives them free meds every year!! enough to last till next year!! It's so awesome to see atleast one state has gotten things rite.
God Bless you guys up there Oregon.I hope the rest of the states will soon follow in Oregons Footsteps.It's the best program, with the most protection for patients, but it still ain't perfect.
Lots of patients (most actually) still don't have a steady supply of medicine.
A lot of people do want dispensaries, but not like California. We want well regulated dispensaries with price caps and mandatory percentages to go to low income and terminal patients. :thumbsup:
No greedy dope dealers getting rich off of sick people.:mad:

Lanietheberner
06-03-2008, 08:42 PM
place not "perfect" product with people who cannot afford street prices.

We always has some shakey stuff that is available, and typically we do not get any compensation (wanted or needed) as long as you are wanting to pick it up.... (sorry but with fuel prices, delivery out of the area, is kinda outta the question).

We do make trips down to SF as we do supply several aids groups in the city, so if there is a way that you can get to our location as these trips cost us a day of time and $120 in fuel...?:thumbsup:

Lanietheberner
06-03-2008, 08:46 PM
You've got to be careful as Doctors here cannot dispense, or give out names of people of possible product, as the federal guys, will pull their medical license if they did this.....

I know it's a bit wacky, but.....?

painretreat
06-04-2008, 06:49 AM
You should live in Oregon, because that's how we roll here.

Steve, where in Oregon, I am ready to move? thank you!
Cindy:thumbsup:

veggii
06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Cindy:thumbsup:
Hi Cindy
here's a couple links to get you going in Oregon:

Oregon NORML | National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (http://www.ornorml.org/main.php)

State of Oregon: Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP) (http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ommp/index.shtml)

Good luck Have A Great Day :thumbsup:

psteve
06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Cindy:thumbsup:MariMedsNW only operates in the Portland area right now, but they hope to expand as soon as possible.
Oregon Green Free (http://www.oregongreenfree.net) is a patient and caregiver/grower network that helps patients all over the state, and is also headquartered in Portland.
There is also Voter Power (http://www.voterpower.org/), who have both clinics and patient support groups. They are in Portland and Medford.
And of course Oregon Norml (http://www.ornorml.org/main.php) has patient support meetings in Portland, and a new chapter starting up in eastern Oregon.
And these are not the only groups trying to help patients in Oregon, just the biggest ones.

rebgirl420
06-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Your a good man allrollsin21

:)

painretreat
06-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Have best friend in Vancouver, WA; Great advice and as soon as my divorce (2yrs and counting) is over, I am out of CA. If things don't change in the mean time. It is difficult to move due to medical Drs. and condition. If I can get more relief and add to quality of life, it will be well worth it. :thumbsup:

painretreat
06-06-2008, 04:43 PM
O man don't get me wrong. It is not my intent to discourage you. Just a heads up, I hope that you can figure and very good way to be charitable with your extra. You could always put it into a different form, i.e. edibles, tinctures, ect....I don't know, I definately don't have the answers for you. Just don't want to see yet another person with a good heart lose their life basically for just trying to do the right thing. I have seen it first hand. Good luck.:thumbsup:

I was wondering and this is most likely the wrong forum, is it illegal to share with those in need, so long as no money changes hands and the person has their MMJ card? thanks

painretreat
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
how do i contact you privately? i clicked on your name and that did not show me the way. That contact is exactly what i would like...as long as its safe. Thanks so much

from what I can tell the only way to send a message of sort is to click below the those little green things under the flag on the right side of the message where there is a Y, a funny lookn person or something like that. I have not had luck at it, but can get an address sometimes to email. Good luck and do be careful. Just wait until you get home grown tomatoes and carrots-you'll never want to go back. I use to garden for years. Cannot now, but dream of it and the taste of homegrown. If the difference of home grown pot is like veggie's--I do not know which would be the most pleasure! It is fun, relaxing, yet work! Didn't seem like work at 25, like it would be now. Just focusing on a few plants and the best time to start in my area! Would be nice to find a cheap already, easy to assemble indoor system! Nothing is cheap on disability in this area! Be safe dude--you're heart is in the right place!:thumbsup: