PDA

View Full Version : Inmate in 'severe pain' without medical marijuana

Psycho4Bud
05-15-2008, 05:52 AM
SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash. -- A 35-year-old Shelton man is fighting for the right to use medical marijuana. The problem is that Alex Morris is in the Snohomish County Jail. The state's Medical Marijuana Act does not cover inmates of jails or prisons. Alex is in jail for 30 days.

His wife says those 30 days will make him very, very sick.

"He's in severe pain, unbearable excruciating pain because he's not able to eat to keep things down," said Kim Morris. "He's lost ten pounds in the last eight days."

In 1998, voters in Washington state approved the use of medical marijuana.

Alex has Crohn's disease and as a result suffers severe headaches. The law covers that and Alex has his doctor's permission; he's registered as a user of medical marijuana.

"It allows me to eat, to hold food down, to come out of my dark hole I'm in," said Alex, speaking from jail.

"Alex has tried all the other medications for Crohn's and, for him, they don't work," said Kim.

But jail officials say Washington law clearly states that permission to use medical marijuana does not include correctional facilities.

"At this point in time we do not allow people to have medical marijuana in the jail," said Deanna Dawson, executive director for corrections in the Snohomish County Executive's Office.

Dawson says it would take an act of the Legislature to approve use of a drug not available in the jail pharmacy, specifically marijuana. The present law does not actually authorize prescriptions; it authorizes medicinal use.

"I don't have a problem with people being in custody, the question is: is it cruel and unusual punishment to keep a person incarcerated and not provide them with the vital medications they require?" said Alex's attorney James Kovac.

The attorney asked a judge to give Alex home detention, community service, but let him out.

"I want to be able to do my time, I don't want to suffer. That's the only thing. I don't want to suffer," Alex said.

The judge said she cannot change the jail sentence because it was imposed by a judge in Lynnwood. Morris' attorney plans to petition the Lynnwood for a change in the sentence on Thursday.
Inmate in 'severe pain' without medical marijuana | KOMO-TV - Seattle, Washington | News (http://www.komotv.com/news/18958769.html)

If they don't let him fire up in jail, let the poor bastard do his time at home where he can.

Can anyone give a heads up on what his crime was???

Have a good one!:s4:

8182KSKUSH
05-15-2008, 07:59 PM
This is intresting. Kind of.
Sorry P4B, I am pragmatic though.
Here's the deal, it's illegal.
30 days in what, city jail, county, doesn't matter. They are not going to allow for the use of and possesion of marijuana on their property. Apparently he's not all that "sick" if he has time to commit crimes worth a 30 day sentence. Fuck'em, let'em suffer, he probably needs to, might do him some good.:jointsmile:

Butch420
05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't know wat dude did~~but it must be minor
for him 2 get only 30 days~~they should jus give
him 'home arrest'~~an let him finish his time that
way~~so at least he can smoke up~~but I tell you
truthfully~~if he's got other drug charges~~ain't
no way he's gonna be able to 2 fire up~~
PEACE OUT~~

8182KSKUSH
05-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I just spent some time looking for additional info other than that article and found some local site, gooeyduct something whatever the fuck. Anyway, couldn't find anything.
But hey, that's how they wrote up the law, they excluded inmates.
As for serving at home, I can't say that should be because I don't know what he did. All I know is that it was deserving of doing 30 days, and I have no reason to believe that it is not totally legit. Really though, if you don't want to deal with jail rules, don't go to jail. Problem solved.

GreenLeaf420
05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I just spent some time looking for additional info other than that article and found some local site, gooeyduct something whatever the fuck. Anyway, couldn't find anything.
But hey, that's how they wrote up the law, they excluded inmates.
As for serving at home, I can't say that should be because I don't know what he did. All I know is that it was deserving of doing 30 days, and I have no reason to believe that it is not totally legit. Really though, if you don't want to deal with jail rules, don't go to jail. Problem solved.

Dam who's side are you on? I hate to even say this but you sound like my father the hypocrite he is. Me him and maybe even you could be in their for the same charges that some of those poor bastards are in there for. What you never did anything were you escaped or evaded conviction and was able to keep your freedom? I see you live in a MJ Sate which is definitely a plus. What about the poor SOB in NJ who gets busted with 25 plants and serves 3YRS. That's was a just sentence he deserved everyday he spent incarcerated? Or maybe a bit Harsh? Yes people make their own choices and sometimes they could be a big regret. I feel that the Judaical system of our country is sometimes unjust and so are sentences handed down.

Look @ Carlos Leeder one of the biggest killers and Kingpins in the world. Testified against Noriega and Disappeared in the middle of the night from a jail cell like he never existed. He later built the tunnel in Mexico and Killed all the workers. He was the Diego Delgado Character in the movie Blow. Who freed him our DEA and CIA why because he makes our country money.

Who's the biggest drug dealer in Afghanistan? The Presidents brother. Before we went to war with them POPPY production 1-5% Laos and Vietnam all over again. Now they have Enough drugs to get the world high three times over sound familiar no.

So my question to you for what ever that man did to receive thirty days you feel it is just W/O even knowing his charges?

Try to put yourself in their shoes what ever the crime may be if it's not Murder,Domestic ect...or some other real harsh crime were they should be killed the SOB they are. Most sentences implied are not a fair deal with states that carry mandatory sentencing?

Check Out the map and see what you could actually be facing just by crossing over a border.

State By State Laws - NORML (http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516)

killerweed420
05-15-2008, 10:40 PM
As usuall this makes no sense. You can get oxycontin legally in a Washington jail but you can't get MMJ. Washington state is in the process of rwewriting there MMJ laws. Are supposed to be done July 1st. Our MMJ laws were almost worthless because they were written so poorly. MMJ still has that stigmatism too it that were all just trying to get high. It has some very good medicinal benefits and the authorities need to pay attention.

irkenelite
05-16-2008, 02:30 AM
As usuall this makes no sense. You can get oxycontin legally in a Washington jail but you can't get MMJ. Washington state is in the process of rwewriting there MMJ laws. Are supposed to be done July 1st. Our MMJ laws were almost worthless because they were written so poorly. MMJ still has that stigmatism too it that were all just trying to get high. It has some very good medicinal benefits and the authorities need to pay attention.

They will give inmates oxycontin but not MMJ? wtf:mad:

8182KSKUSH
05-16-2008, 02:30 AM

I agree with you. Fact is the laws were written by advocates. The current laws do not allow for him to medicate in custody. That's it really. There is alot of room to move in the gray area for BOTH sides.

killerweed420
05-17-2008, 05:28 PM
They will give inmates oxycontin but not MMJ? wtf:mad:
Yes the healthcare for inmates are very poor depending on which jail your in. But if you have a medical prescription for pain controling narcotics you can get them. I'm not in favour of providing inmates with much. But if they have a legitimate pain issue they should get help. Prisons are not torture chambers.

kassidy
05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
I beg to differ on inmate health care. They get better care than the average working joe. I was a county jail nurse 96-2000 here in my county.....and they get good medical care in there. We even had to give estrogen to transsexuals growing boobs! Payed for my ustaxpayers naturally.

killerweed420
05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
I beg to differ on inmate health care. They get better care than the average working joe. I was a county jail nurse 96-2000 here in my county.....and they get good medical care in there. We even had to give estrogen to transsexuals growing boobs! Payed for my ustaxpayers naturally.
I don't agree with supplying nonessential medical coverage to inmates. If its not serious they can wait till they get out. Unless of course we go to socialized healthcare.:)

GreenLeaf420
05-23-2008, 02:32 AM
That's is absolutely insane estrogen to Transes. That is like giving a bodybuilder in jail steroids. I agree W/ dispensing pain MEDS if they are need for legit reasons and if they will let you smoke weed even better.

Yet to be giving estrogen is crazy!!!!!