PDA

View Full Version : Light problem, issues?

frostymcfailure
05-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Okie standard 600 hps chillin with lil babies under it no problems for my friend from out of state (med patient) first week. lil area rigged up with a fan and the light its a good 70-80degrees and slightly humid in their but its find and he says his babies do amazing in his conditions but he called me this morning and said his light stopped working....
When the power was on the fan in the ballast would work but the light it self wouldnt turn on, the bulb he said looked a lil funny wiht black around the inside things corners after. He tried to re screw the bulb and replug the cords. Ordered a new one but that could take a week!!! Their seedlings about with a set or 2 each.

1# What is he to do in the mean time
2# how much damage has been done if
the plants got a 5hour light session and then dark. the usual was 18-6 but now id assume his room is dark. Are they all goin hermi and a waste 2 be disposed of, all were fem seeds.
3# FUCK!

Thanks everyone for their help and input sorry for im a little cranky atm. Perhaps keeping the light off for a few days isnt too dangerous?

Dutch Pimp
05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Use some floro tubes or CFL's on the plants until the 600 comes back online.

I use T-12 floro tubes first 3 weeks anyways...:thumbsup:..before using 400HID.

justanotherbozo
05-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Use some floro tubes or CFL's on the plants until the 600 comes back online.

I use T-12 floro tubes first 3 weeks anyways...:thumbsup:..before using 400HID.

if you have a fluorescent fixture, use it, if not, go with the CFL's, they're easy to find, cheap to buy and they fit in standard light sockets. if you're any where near a Walmart, you can get those clamp light fixtures for under $10.00 per fixture although they have a shitty selection of bulbs

and thanks for the props Dutch, i owe ya one

bozo,
peace, love, dope

smpaz420
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
goto lowes or HD and get yourself some cfl's. I was using a plug in style light socket. you could plug about 4 or so into a power strip and mount them above the plants, they will be fine. Thats how i was vegging mine before i got the 600 MH.

frostymcfailure
05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
iight this site's got some kool kats with good input but im a blue light boy at <3 Anywayz, I am a HPS type dude, i am not very experienced in the CFL field, what is it im looking for/asking lowes/home depot for? a 25k or wateve spectrum? Which is best spectrum light fo veg & how much will it cost with socket light and cord. Thanks

justanotherbozo
05-06-2008, 07:08 PM
hope this helps, it's a quote of an answer i gave to someone else on a similar question, anyway, here it is
"if your new to growing and on a budget, buy cfl's, you can buy them one at a time for under ten bucks and, you can buy them locally, and, because you'll be using several smaller blubs rather than one BIG bulb, you can tweak your light spectrum. keep in mind though that you need to look at the ACTUAL wattage and not the equivalent wattage. also look at the color of the light (and i don't mean the bulb, they're all white lol), that will be printed right on the plastic part of the bulb (that's the ballast housing) and it will say something like 6500K, or 3000K, or 2700K etc..., the K stands for Kelvin and it refers to the spectrumor temperature of light the bulb produces.
in veg (which is where your at right now) you want mostly blue light (blue is at the high end or 5000 to 6500K), not ALL blue, but at maybe a 4 - 1 ratio, watt for watt.
when your ready to flower, switch to mostly red (the low end, 3000, 2700 and 1900K)."

good luck
bozo,
peace, love, dope

frostymcfailure
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Good stuff right their, thanks for taking the time bro. I read up on kelvins etc. a lil after posting that. So what your saying im taking it is 'id benefit from a few CFL's which is more less a bulb and socket w/ cord probably obtained at home depot for 25$ or under.

so say u wanna take down 3x3 feet of space, how many socket and bulb sets are we talking? & what calvin combo would you recommend if 3 cfl's were used, some blue as stated above no doubt but what else, the 27k and a two 34k's?(daylight bulbs)? Thats the thing giving me the most trouble atm; decisions decisions.

At the moment i have access to what i think is a t5, fixtures 4foot long 2 fluro bulbs one blue and one red. 4foot things i dont believe fit in the area unless on their side which is kind of fucked up.

This repz 4 u
*bubble bubble bubble* Cough.

justanotherbozo
05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
no sweat man, happy to help and yeah, definately under $25.00 per light, even with the bulbs. heres a link to show you a good kind of fixture to go with, they're easy to put any place you want them and you can stick almost any wattage CFL you can find in them.
if you have a Walmart near you you can get that same fixture for around $6.00 and a 40 watt bulb for under $10.00. if no walmart nearby, you can get the same fixtures at Lowes, HomeDepot and virtually the same thing at a pet store sold as a warmer for reptiles and such. anyway, heres the link
Buy our 5.5 in. Clamp Light with Aluminum Reflector by Bayco at GoodMart.com (http://www.goodmart.com/products/1117916.htm)
oh, and yeah, you want mostly blue during the vegative growth stage with about a 4 to 1 ratio, watt for watt, when you flower, if using CFL's, you want about a 3 to 1 ratio, red to blue, reason being is the blue light is less intense so you need more of it.
anyway, that's my understanding, if i'm wrong, i hope someone puts up the right answer so we can both get it right (i think i'm right though)

bozo,
peace, love, dope

justanotherbozo
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
i almost forgot, more watts = more lumens = more bud
for vegging, 4x40watts at 6500Kelvin (cool) and 1x40watts at 2700Kelvin works fine, you'll be amazed at your results, i know i was

bozo,
peace, love, dope

Dutch Pimp
05-10-2008, 01:22 PM
and thanks for the props Dutch, i owe ya one

Hey...bozo...:thumbsup:

if you want to get in the game...click on the little justice scales..(on the top of any post..next to permalink)...enjoy..:pimp:

don't forget to leave a nice message too...it's the closest thing we have here...to a PM system.