PDA

View Full Version : American College of Physicians Endorses Medical Marijuana

Psycho4Bud
04-22-2008, 04:07 PM
(NaturalNews) Transcending political controversy and stigma surrounding the subject, the second largest physician group in the country has endorsed the use, reclassification, and further study of medicinal marijuana. In a position paper issued February 14th, the American College of Physicians (ACP) makes the case that the red tape surrounding the medical use of cannabis has obscured good science for too long.

Several states including California have opened the door for legal use of medical marijuana, but this stands in opposition to the federal government's Schedule I classification of the plant. This discontinuity has led to legal obfuscation and obscurity as to what really is legal. Schedule I is a term used to describe drugs such as LSD and heroin, and translates to a substance having "no accepted medical use and being unsafe for use even under medical supervision."

With their newly defined position, ACP now joins the ranks of dozens of other national medical groups urging an ease on cannabis regulation in the face of what many consider overwhelming scientific evidence of its medicinal usefulness. "ACP urges review of marijuana's status as a Schedule I controlled substance and reclassification into a more appropriate schedule, given the scientific evidence regarding marijuana's safety and efficacy in some clinical conditions," the paper states.

Supporters hope that this will be the long-awaited nudge needed to tip the American Medical Association (AMA) in favor of reclassification and legal protection for medical use of the drug. The AMA urges further research, but so far it does not support reclassification of the Schedule I substance.
American College of Physicians Endorses Medical Marijuana (http://www.naturalnews.com/023062.html)

Another step in the right direction!:thumbsup:

Have a good one!:jointsmile:

Storm Crow
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
And write them a "Thank you" note!

ACP: Contact us (http://www.acponline.org/cgi-bin/feedback)

Good manners are essential!- Granny:hippy: