PDA

View Full Version : Rock wool dampness

Rooisme1
02-23-2005, 12:02 PM
During seedling stage, should the rockwool be kept wet, or let to dry between waterings? How about after veg starts? I had a 1 inch blueberry that died overnight and the wool was dry. PH was around 5.8 and using miracle grow for the seed stage. Any help? Thanks!

fhydro
02-23-2005, 12:21 PM
As far as i know, rockwool keeps dampness a long time so you have to water periodicaly. But don't keep it too dry neither. But i am still a beguinner.
Fhydro

kuri
02-23-2005, 10:28 PM
it should be wet/damp, but not saturated.

Sensi Super Skunk
02-23-2005, 10:57 PM
During seedling stage, should the rockwool be kept wet, or let to dry between waterings? How about after veg starts? I had a 1 inch blueberry that died overnight and the wool was dry. PH was around 5.8 and using miracle grow for the seed stage. Any help? Thanks!
Miracle Grow has a hydroponic formula?!

kuri
02-23-2005, 11:31 PM
yeah, i'm not sure that they do, but if they do rooisme1 will enlighten us.

vegasgrower
02-25-2005, 01:26 AM
It is almost impossible to over water using rockwool. The way is is manufactured there is always air in it. If you let it go dry your plants will be water starved. I grow in rockwool and water 3-4 times daily. As far as miracle grow, it works ok but it is easy to over fert your plants and it tends to leave a chemical taste.

del...
02-25-2005, 06:52 AM
sorry to butt in here but wanted to catch vegas while he's near...

hey bud...drop me a line sometime. i'm near las vegas (and lived there for 12 years before moving to the high desert) and make it down often (this monday, in fact) so maybe we could hook up somewhere, sometime and fire up the beer and drink a bowl or two...

[email protected]

magicman
02-25-2005, 02:27 PM
hi .. sry ... do u have a dome ta hold im moisture..??
keep...

willybblue
02-25-2005, 10:55 PM
You say "in between waterings" and that you are using Miracle Grow...are you growing hydroponically or in soil?? I guess I am just a bit stoned and don't get it...

And whoever said Rockwool can't get overwatered is correct. The MOST important thing to do is to let it not get to dry or you are screwed.

Rooisme...I thought you had some 3 weekers in soil and that you decided NOT to go hydro...Did you start some seedlings in rockwool for a hydro setup?? If so, do you have a dome?? You shouldn't have to water much at all after putting the seeds in the rockwool if you have a humidity dome.

Again, confused...

Sorry :confused:

Sensi Super Skunk
02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
And whoever said Rockwool can't get overwatered is correct. The MOST important thing to do is to let it not get to dry or you are screwed.
Rockwool can become overwatered, if you leave it in water. Doing so will cause the water to replace the oxygen pockets,

kuri
02-25-2005, 11:24 PM
i'm with sensisuperskunk here. i learned that first hand that rock wool can become overly saturated and then can cause ROOT rot if it is saturated for too long. first hand knowledge there. learned the hard way. my opinion is do not let rock wool sit in water or not water every day. it will take an easy three days at least before the rock wool comes to a dangerous dry state.

willybblue
02-26-2005, 07:50 PM
i'm with sensisuperskunk here. i learned that first hand that rock wool can become overly saturated and then can cause ROOT rot if it is saturated for too long. first hand knowledge there. learned the hard way. my opinion is do not let rock wool sit in water or not water every day. it will take an easy three days at least before the rock wool comes to a dangerous dry state.

Kuri-

I disagree, but all is a matter of opinion...it does however recommend that you do not let the grodan sit in water. That is the point...you don't need to let it sit in the water as it retains moisture. When you have seedlings under a humidity dome it isn't wise to have water in the tray anyway. I only spray my seedlings when I spray the humidity dome. Also, I have had rockwool dry out in a day or less in high humidity conditions. So, the three days thing isn't probably the best rule. All a matter of opinion I guess... :p

kuri
02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
willyblue, yes, alot of us, including myself, have learned from the climate and conditions that we live in and i tend to overlook sometimes the different conditions i have not experienced.

vegasgrower
03-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Of course you don't let it sit in water,anything pourass can become over saturated, but if you use a flood and drain system and soak for 15-30 minutes per watering, there is NO way to over water with rockwool

vegasgrower
03-05-2005, 01:16 AM
One last thing I have grown strickly in rockwool for years and have a flood and drain setup, I water 3-4 times a dy and NEVER have had any root rot problems. I have tried everything from lava rock to river rock, to perlite,and clay pebbles, nothing works as well for me then rockwool. The only drawback is the cost since I always use fresh rokwool for each grow.

Nosehit
03-05-2005, 09:02 AM
it should be wet/damp, but not saturated.
Right, after you wet it give it a couple shakes like a you would a thermometer and never let it dry out.

Miracle grow bad

Nosehit
03-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Rockwool can become overwatered, if you leave it in water. Doing so will cause the water to replace the oxygen pockets,
IME and from what I've read SSS is correct. I only use rockwool to start seeds and clones and then use Hydroton in net pots in my DWC.
I'm not disputing what you say Vegas but you should make it clear that you can't leave it sitting in water, some ppl don't always use common sense.
NH

bonker7
04-07-2005, 01:57 AM
rock wool must stay moist and humidy 4 seedling 2 grow well it dont need any nutes yet dude.stay slippery