PDA

View Full Version : soil to water

Rooisme1
02-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Hello All,
Can anyone assist in how I take my 3 week old out of soil and into the hydro sys. Do I Place it in rockwool and then rocks? How do I place it in the wool, then rocks? I appreciate any help. Wish you all a glorious grow. :o

willybblue
02-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Personally, I would skip the rockwool. Get a nice net pot cut a few holes through the net to make them bigger and lightly and gently pull the roots through...I have done this with clones and cut a hole in the center of the net pot and fed the roots through that way. Then fill in the gaps with Hydroton clay pellets.

Hope this helps...

What is the reason for switching over if you don't mind me asking...?

Garden Knowm
02-18-2005, 07:25 AM
if you don't have to switch then dont

you should clone your plant and start the clones in your hydro system.. they will only take a week to root..

Willybblue- you succesfully transplanted from soil to hydro? wow ... kudos.. that takes balls : )

Nosehit
02-18-2005, 08:23 AM
if you don't have to switch then dont

you should clone your plant and start the clones in your hydro system.. they will only take a week to root..

Willybblue- you succesfully transplanted from soil to hydro? wow ... kudos.. that takes balls : )

Excellent advice, I tried a couple of times when I was switching to DWC and failed miserably.

willybblue
02-18-2005, 10:46 PM
However, I have taken aero clones and put them in net pots (with lots of roots and just skipped the rockwool all together)...thought if Rooisme absolutely had to switch, that he/she may want to use that method and skip the rockwool...

That is why I asked why he/she was doing it...it does take balls...

kuri
02-18-2005, 10:51 PM
is DWC the same as the bubbler system?

Sensi Super Skunk
02-18-2005, 11:11 PM
is DWC the same as the bubbler system?
Yes.

heartsurgerysurviver
02-19-2005, 03:01 AM
i soak the seeds in water for 2 days then plant the seeds in soil.
a week after they pop , i move them to an aeroponic cloner, yes , from soil to hydro, i've never had any die doing it this way. ya just have to be careful not to break off any roots. i cut the rock wool cubes in half and gently place the rooted seed in it. any roots that stick out i put through the net pots openings.
peace
heart

Rooisme1
02-19-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi all, My plant was droopoing.....I dried it b adding hords of perlite....this morning it stood up as proud as can be. so, I asdk myself what you asked me....why transfer? Ill leave her in soil....ty so much for the advice. You are all a great bunch, Im glad I found this place.

Nosehit
02-19-2005, 07:58 AM
i soak the seeds in water for 2 days then plant the seeds in soil.
a week after they pop , i move them to an aeroponic cloner, yes , from soil to hydro, i've never had any die doing it this way. ya just have to be careful not to break off any roots. i cut the rock wool cubes in half and gently place the rooted seed in it. any roots that stick out i put through the net pots openings.
peace
heart

I'm thinking that a 3 week old plant would be significantly more difficult than a 2 day old seedling. I thought we were talking about plants that have already established themselves in soil.
Personally I just place the seeds on a wet paper towel, pop it in a ziplock and then skip the whole soil thing (kiss) and place the seedling in a rock wool plug. Hasn't failed me yet! Good Luck

Sensi Super Skunk
02-19-2005, 08:57 AM
K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid (or Stoner).

Garden Knowm
02-21-2005, 04:43 AM
yeah aweek in soil is definitley different than 3 weeks.. but stillvery interesting to know..

Willy.. yeah - I have seen net systems with no rockwool and no lava rocks.. just a plant in a cup... ideally it needs some cover so light doesn't enter the res and cause the biggest algae garden of all time : )

willybblue
02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
yeah aweek in soil is definitley different than 3 weeks.. but stillvery interesting to know..

Willy.. yeah - I have seen net systems with no rockwool and no lava rocks.. just a plant in a cup... ideally it needs some cover so light doesn't enter the res and cause the biggest algae garden of all time : )

Knowm-

I ALWAYS use Hydroton...in my post above that is exactly what I suggested...just skip the rockwool cube...I totally agree with you...you must not let light leak in through the holes in the net pot as you will indeed have some serious algae!! Just wanted to clarify my post above...

bonker7
04-07-2005, 02:09 AM
good advice dude

Rooisme1
04-07-2005, 02:55 AM
Hi all,
All of the advice and help has gotten me a long way. Light getting to the water was my biggest problem. I tested a tomato plant...It was doing great then drooped over, it had a gel on the roots. I Immediately rinsed the roots and transferred it to soilless mix which saved it. I changed the water and bleached out my sys. I then restarted , this time adding peroxide and letting the water ph balance out for 2 days. I started some Blueberries at this time as well (In soiless). After they sprouted I transferred them and the tomato plant to the System. It is 3 weeks later, my bbs are gorgeous....deep green and very large leaves for their height. Now I am looking forward to telling the sex and flowering time. This will be my first successful grow, my fingernails are short these days. I dont like to see the earths gifts die. Thanks every one, you are all a great green thumbed help.