PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio guru's...I need help choosing an amp..

Markass
01-25-2008, 07:04 PM
At the present I've got a 15" kicker comp 4ohm 500w peak subwoofer...I do however intend to in the mere future get 2 new 15" comps, and I'm wanting to get a kicker amp...I was wondering if a 300.1 kicker mono amp would be suitable for the one I'm going to use when I get it as well with the two others and bridge them...I don't know a whole lot about the technical side of this and I was wondering if someone could provide a bit of insight and guidance..:thumbsup:

this is the 300.1 I was looking at NEW KICKER 900 WATT MONO CLASS D CAR AMPLIFIER AMP W@W - eBay (item 280192705377 end time Jan-25-08 14:54:24 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-900-WATT-MONO-CLASS-D-CAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP-W-W_W0QQitemZ280192705377QQihZ018QQcategoryZ64570QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I've heard several kicker subs on kicker amps, and the sound is very powerful, most of these people overpower their subs by a lot but do turn the settings down so they don't blow the subs...

My main question is simply, with this 300.1 will it power my 1 sub sufficiently at the present, and soon will it power 2 of them pretty well? thanks for any help guys..:stoned:

friendowl
01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
i like orion amps

what kind of car are you puttin this in
the box you have your speaker in has a lot to do with everything

kshchrn831
01-29-2008, 05:24 AM
Caraudio.com has a really good forum on car audio. Just if your interested.. ive had alot of help from that site.

Frickr
01-29-2008, 05:34 AM
whats the RMS wattage of the subs. never look at the max wattage, always the RMS. and on a sub you usually want a little more then the RMS wattage within range of the max wattage. for example say if your sub has a RMS rating of 700W at 4 ohm. you would need an amp that is atleast 700-800 watt at 4 ohm. but thats not always true too. with your wiring you can also set the sub up to be a 1-8 ohm load on your amp. the lower the ohm, the more watts it can make with less power. its a little confusing, but if you have any questions just let me know.

what sub do you have/ are looking at getting exactly model number, and ill help you out with a good amp.

Frickr
01-29-2008, 05:36 AM
also single or dual voice coil. thats another major thing that decides what you need.

MadSativa
01-29-2008, 05:49 AM
ahhh its not that complicated, that 300w RMS kicker amp will do enough, especialy if you bridge it, and it is all just for the woofer. All the 2 ohm and 4ohm shit doesnt realy apply to you at this stage. Thats all for when your building to specifics. Lanzar has very cheap amps and they are okay, as long as you dont over heat em. So if your in the desert come summer time you might see problems with Lazar(external and internal fans needed for heat exchange).

Frickr
01-29-2008, 06:34 AM
if you dont have enough wattage, you can have problems with the sub overheating, and ulitmately blowing out. i had a 350 watt hooked to a L7 solo baric, and i blew it because of not enough wattage, thats when i learned about that. if anything over power your subs slightly. (between 50-100w) and if you dont have the correct ohm setting, you can over heat both your sub and amp, wrecking one the other or both. you get what you pay for when it comes to stereo. i have spent 1500 on my system so far, and all i have is an amp 4 speakers and a cd player. ive been told by everyone that has been in my car, that my system is one of the best they have ever heard. the shop where i bought everything from is impressed by the work i did installing them. been doing this stuff for quite a while. so believe me, RMS wattage, and ohms do come into play if you want a good clean (no clipping) loud setup.