PDA

View Full Version : Do Dogs Dream?

modest moon
01-06-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm sitting here while my dog sleeps and it appears as though she's definitely dreaming...legs kick/twitch every so often, mouth twitches, sometimes she even makes little grunts or noises. has anyone else ever seen this sort of behavior in their dog (or cat)?

DAY-DREAMER-MAN
01-06-2008, 06:23 AM
i think they do my dog dose all time

LaZ
01-06-2008, 06:30 AM
My dog kicks alot in his sleep. Sometimes his mouth will twitch. I've even seen him a couple times doing like a small humping like motions lol

theMarcovich
01-06-2008, 06:32 AM
my dog displays this behavior very often. Therefore it is my conclusion that dogs do indeed dream:thumbsup:

Phaze1
01-06-2008, 07:18 AM
ohhh shit i learned about this is psych class, its just the brain sending messages to the muscles naturely to do muscle related bissinious while you sleep, and the result is the dogs moving their muscles, sorry for the bad typdness but i;m pretty blazed......:hippy:

sarah louise
01-06-2008, 07:18 AM
most mammals exhibit REM sleep

modest moon
01-06-2008, 09:45 AM
most mammals exhibit REM sleep

ohhh shit i learned about this is psych class, its just the brain sending messages to the muscles naturely to do muscle related bissinious while you sleep, and the result is the dogs moving their muscles, sorry for the bad typdness but i;m pretty blazed......:hippy:

so in that case, dogs do not actually dream but instead simply exhibit behaviors which appear to us as the REM cycle and the dreaming that comes with it. interesting....:smokin:

ReUp
01-06-2008, 03:40 PM
My dog will actually howl in his sleep. It scared the shit out of me the first few times he did it.

birdgirl73
01-07-2008, 02:47 AM
My dogs definitely dream. They kick, twitch, growl, move their mouths, make their whiskers twitch, and make these low throaty noises, and it seems to be during REM sleep just like humans do because if I look at them closely I can see their eyes moving under closed lids. This fascinates me. I want to know what they're dreaming about. Whatever it is, it must be stimulating. Doesn't seem to last for very long, though. One of my dogs makes this strange whooping/howling noise during some phase of her dreams.

dylan
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I believe it was proved that dogs dream in the same way people do. They probably are dreaming about chasing things, being chased, or other dog related activities.

Drag187
01-09-2008, 09:28 PM
What if dogs just dream about what we do outside of the house. Like they wear suits and shoes and drive cars in their dreams. Im sure of it now :thumbsup:

swissmiss
01-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I read somewhere that puppies need to twitch in their sleep to help develop their nervous system.